Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Looking like a deal could be done by the end of the week.

Saw that the ChiSox could flip him to the Yankees.  Would make sense, Sox don't seem to have a chance to compete anytime soon, Manny doesn't make sense.

It sucks that it's come to this but the Sox offer at least means they will be getting a top ranked pitching prospect at worse. 

I know the objective fans agree, but I think you MUST take the best package regardless of who's offering it. We don't have the luxury of choosing where Manny plays in 2018. Sure, I'd love for him to go to St. Louis where he won't come back and haunt us (I also love that destination since they are less likely to just rent him for one season). But, if he's going to be a Yankee in 2019 there isn't much we can do in December of 2017 to prevent that. So, load up as much as you can and cross your fingers that this trade is the start of a solid rebuild. 

O's really screwed themselves.  If the reports are true that they haven't talked to his camp in years, they should have dealt him a LONG time ago.  Sitting on this has led us to where we are today.  On the verge of not getting market value because of other teams worry about Manny not signing an extension.  I think we all know that he wants to wear pinstripes.  That's fine.  O's botched things.  I really hold no ill-will towards Manny and his decision to play elsewhere.  It's a total clown-show running things in Baltimore.  However, teams are not willing to give up their best prospects for a one-year rental, when Manny will likely head to the Bronx to sign in 2019.  All that said, if this is what Manny wants, the Yankees ARE the best trade option for this team.  What the return will be, who knows?  I just hope that it includes Torres. 

On top of taking the a Yankees out of play upfront, not wanting another team to flip him to the Yanks, I saw in USA Today that the O's arent allowing negotiating windows for potential trade partners with Manny to avoid him being a rental.  They're doing everything to make this harder.

While the Orioles fielded trade offers for their star third baseman and top relievers at this week’s Winter Meetings, they also checked on the level of interest in designated hitter Mark Trumbo.  The Orioles are open to moving Trumbo and freeing up the designated hitter spot while he has two years and $26 million remaining on his contract. One source said teams counterpunched with the request that the Orioles absorb a portion of the remaining money.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/a-few-leftovers-from-the-winter-meetings.html

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

While the Orioles fielded trade offers for their star third baseman and top relievers at this week’s Winter Meetings, they also checked on the level of interest in designated hitter Mark Trumbo.  The Orioles are open to moving Trumbo and freeing up the designated hitter spot while he has two years and $26 million remaining on his contract. One source said teams counterpunched with the request that the Orioles absorb a portion of the remaining money.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/a-few-leftovers-from-the-winter-meetings.html

I would support that to move him out.  I guess it depends on how much "a portion" is.  Pedro Alvarez can produce what Trumbo did last year for pennies.

37 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Britton , ruptured achilles. Out 6 months.  Wonderful.  The failure to trade him when it was wise is working out quite well.

Peter Angelos is a terrible owner. 90% of the bad decisions of the last 3 years are a direct result of his interference. 

What’s really sad is that they got a second chance to trade him after he got hurt early in the year. It was a second chance to sell him with a high value before he goes down. Yet they don’t and now a major injury which will almost certainly drive down his value exponentially from what it was. You always trade a closer after a career year if you are not in position for the playoffs. The life span is too short and you must capitalize high.

11 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

What’s really sad is that they got a second chance to trade him after he got hurt early in the year. It was a second chance to sell him with a high value before he goes down. Yet they don’t and now a major injury which will almost certainly drive down his value exponentially from what it was. You always trade a closer after a career year if you are not in position for the playoffs. The life span is too short and you must capitalize high.

PA should have allowed the trade last fall with the Astros. Now the O’s will likely get nothing at all for Britton unless they get him to sign a two year deal.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

How in the hell did he injure his Achilles?

Oh, it was at Boras' workout center or something.  

Not sure how he did it specifically but the Orioles look stupid yet again for not selling high.

The above post was right, they had a 2nd chance to trade him this year, they blew that too.  Amazed that teams would even make offers for a power closer with some arm issues.  

I'm convinced now that they'll keep Manny and he'll walk at the end of this year.  

Two players that they could have traded and gotten prospects back for the start of a really nice rebuild and they've completely **** the bed because the old man owner doesn't understand how this works and no one can get it through his thick skull.  Either he's truly dumb (which I doubt, he's a successful lawyer) or he doesn't want to understand why these moves would have been good for the long haul.

You're looking at 4-6 quality prospects that we could have had to get this rebuild underway. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Oh, it was at Boras' workout center or something.  

Not sure how he did it specifically but the Orioles look stupid yet again for not selling high.

The above post was right, they had a 2nd chance to trade him this year, they blew that too.  Amazed that teams would even make offers for a power closer with some arm issues.  

I'm convinced now that they'll keep Manny and he'll walk at the end of this year.  

Two players that they could have traded and gotten prospects back for the start of a really nice rebuild and they've completely **** the bed because the old man owner doesn't understand how this works and no one can get it through his thick skull.  Either he's truly dumb (which I doubt, he's a successful lawyer) or he doesn't want to understand why these moves would have been good for the long haul.

You're looking at 4-6 quality prospects that we could have had to get this rebuild underway. 

The instance on always buying every year, coupled with this disaster will literally have cost the O's 10-14 prospects within the system. 

O's are really going to mess this all up...

Cubs offered Almora Jr., Russell, and Montgomery...O's declined.  SMH.

You can NEVER predict injuries, but I said that Britton should have been traded after his historic season.  Now, look at where we are.

The ineptitude of this front office makes it VERY hard to pull for this team.  They're most certainly going to botch this Machado situation. 

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

O's are really going to mess this all up...

Cubs offered Almora Jr., Russell, and Montgomery...O's declined.  SMH.

You can NEVER predict injuries, but I said that Britton should have been traded after his historic season.  Now, look at where we are.

The ineptitude of this front office makes it VERY hard to pull for this team.  They're most certainly going to botch this Machado situation. 

I saw that on MASN as well. If they did offer that and the O's said no because of this fairy tale of needing 2 MLB ready starting pitchers... 

I would take that trade immediately. O's can then use their surplus of OF prospects to upgrade in other areas. Montgomery is a young, controllable starter, Almora is a top OF prospect that hit .299 in his for season and Russell is Manny's replacement. That's a pretty darn good haul for a one year rental. 

• 1 month later...

Seriously, what in the **** are Angelos, DD and the rest of the organization doing?? I’m so down on this team. Absolutely no direction, rotation hasn’t been addressed at all, ridiculous trade demands and not speaking with any players about extensions. At best this is a 70 win team now. 

51 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Seriously, what in the **** are Angelos, DD and the rest of the organization doing?? I’m so down on this team. Absolutely no direction, rotation hasn’t been addressed at all, ridiculous trade demands and not speaking with any players about extensions. At best this is a 70 win team now. 

Haven't addressed pitching and the two best position players on the roster are disgruntled.  This is fine. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Jesus, never thought I'd see you down on the Orioles.  

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Jesus, never thought I'd see you down on the Orioles.  

There is a stunning amount of delusion and incompetence in the O's organization now. They really think fans are stupid. I think there will be a lot of booing at Camden yards this season. O's are in good shape salary wise and refuse to spend. They have some assets that could be moved in order to open a new window and stock the system but nah, let's just let everyone walk for a draft pick or two that might help in 5-7 years. 

13 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Not in a hurry for this season to start. Can we just cancel the season and wait for 2019? 70 win team. Lucky to win 60.

Yup, I agree.  I want baseball to start because....well, baseball and warm weather and longer days.  But I'm not looking forward to the Orioles.

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

There is a stunning amount of delusion and incompetence in the O's organization now. They really think fans are stupid. I think there will be a lot of booing at Camden yards this season. O's are in good shape salary wise and refuse to spend. They have some assets that could be moved in order to open a new window and stock the system but nah, let's just let everyone walk for a draft pick or two that might help in 5-7 years. 

I agree with everything here.

Archived