Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Sign Center John Sullivan

NeverSurrender

This is the Stork debate part deux, how many weeks does he need to have his head in the playbook before he gets trusted enough to be our starting C. Its based on the premise he is 100% healed, and is hands down better than Long.  I have no idea of either, of course. 

I contend a vet C can come in and contribute sooner than later. He does not need to memorize and master everything Kory knew to contribute. Other OL can help him. We knew this but confirmed it from Trent last game. Coaches don't install the full playbook into every game plan. Kirk can do line calls, as he did for Rib.  The big thing I often hear, a new C needs reps with Kirk, learning cadence, gun placement etc.  I expect no issues with a pro bowl center. 

17 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I like the idea of this move because I can't believe that Lichtensteiger is doing well. But, if this guy is available and on the street right now can he be a major upgrade?

Agreed, but if he's any upgrade at all, I'll take.  Major or minor.

20 hours ago, Morrison J said:

Kory Lich is a bad loss. Far bigger loss than Hall imo. Nobody gave him the credit he deserved for his performances this year. The tape doesn't lie. 

I have more faith in Bill Callahan than any other coach on our staff though. Think he'll find a way of making things work whether it's with Long or Sullivan at centre. 

I agree the tape doesn't lie, but what I saw on the tape was KL being ineffective on lots of pass pro and many run plays where DL lined up over him. He was great when his primary run responsibility was second level, but he wasn't moving people off the line. When he did have good run blocks on the line they tended to be finesse blocks where he tricked the DL into committing one way then just kept him going (like you would to execute a reach block). In pass pro I saw a fair amount of whiffs, rag dolls and even one instance of him being thrown onto Cousins. 

I'm not sure Long or Sullivan will be an upgrade, but I don't think either will be much worse, since KL's weaknesses have more negative impact on our offense than the loss of his strengths.

Welcome to the Redskins John Sullivan! Do Len Hauss proud wearing #56!

16 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

This is the Stork debate part deux, how many weeks does he need to have his head in the playbook before he gets trusted enough to be our starting C. Its based on the premise he is 100% healed, and is hands down better than Long.  I have no idea of either, of course. 

I contend a vet C can come in and contribute sooner than later. He does not need to memorize and master everything Kory knew to contribute. Other OL can help him. We knew this but confirmed it from Trent last game. Coaches don't install the full playbook into every game plan. Kirk can do line calls, as he did for Rib.  The big thing I often hear, a new C needs reps with Kirk, learning cadence, gun placement etc.  I expect no issues with a pro bowl center. 

I'll second that!

25 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I agree the tape doesn't lie, but what I saw on the tape was KL being ineffective on lots of pass pro and many run plays where DL lined up over him. He was great when his primary run responsibility was second level, but he wasn't moving people off the line. When he did have good run blocks on the line they tended to be finesse blocks where he tricked the DL into committing one way then just kept him going (like you would to execute a reach block). In pass pro I saw a fair amount of whiffs, rag dolls and even one instance of him being thrown onto Cousins.

I tend to agree.

I saw KL as more of a liability than a help. We needed to upgrade at C in the offseason and did not do it (BPA ... I know, I know). Therefore, we got what we got.

Sullivan should be an upgrade if healthy. He's a huge guy and anchored a pretty good Minn OL for years. Keep in mind, they released him because there was a younger, cheaper option that ended up earning a starting spot. Not necessarily because of Sullivan's back injury or performance.

17 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Keep in mind, they released him because there was a younger, cheaper option that ended up earning a starting spot. Not necessarily because of Sullivan's back injury or performance.

And that will be how he (or whoever becomes our next starting C) will likely be replaced. :)

16 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I heard on CSN/Casserly say that he would be active on Sunday. Also, that Long is starting. 

he kind of has to be. if he isn't our options a C are Williams, who play their a game or two in college and Nick Sundberg, our LS.

Archived