Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carson Wentz is probably the best young QB in the NFL.

Westbrook36

4 hours ago, redskins59 said:

The steelers IMO are not very good.  We lost because Cousins played like crap, and also because the D could not stop anybody. 

They put up 64 point in their first two games.  Big Ben was just off all day today though.  Some of that was because of the defense, but some of it was totally on him.  He looked really bad today.

5 hours ago, Westbrook36 said:

What QB in the NFL would you take over Wentz?  The Eagles have a top 3 QB for the next 18 years. Glory days are here again. 

I thought the Steelers were one of the top teams in the league?  Maybe they are. Maybe they just played the best team in the NFL and this game isn't a good barometer. 

Do you wish now that you hadn't run away from this board like a coward when the Eagles were struggling last year, or does that just not register in your brain?

5 hours ago, Brother Redskin said:

He and the team look good but I remember back in 2012 us skins fans felt we had our franchise Qb for many years to come, and then the next year began. 

Unfortunately, Wentz isn't running a gimmicky offense (and with his size probably won't get hurt like Griffin, though he is reckless sometimes). Wentz looks super intelligent before and after the snap, its the most surprising thing about him as a small school QB who never faced any real competition in college. He is smart as hell and a natural so far. Its kinda scary.

As a Redskins fan in Eagles country, there are 2 major things i've seen over the first 3 games:

1.  It appears Douggie P. could be the best coach Carson could start his career with.  Doug seemingly is putting Carson in a place to succeed.  He's incorporating the run game, and not making Carson carry the team (Having the lead does help that).  Also (Ahem, Gruden), the red zone offense is scoring TD's, especially with the run game.

2.  More so than Carson and Doug, the Eagles defense has been unreal.  They had a lot of 4-3 personnel in a 3-4 scheme.  Schwartz threw that 3-4 scheme out the window, and the d-line and linebackers are doing what their comfortable with, and they are succeeding.  They can be beat a bit through the air, but they aren't going to give you much time to do it with that front 4.

47 minutes ago, superozman said:

2.  More so than Carson and Doug, the Eagles defense has been unreal.  They had a lot of 4-3 personnel in a 3-4 scheme.  Schwartz threw that 3-4 scheme out the window, and the d-line and linebackers are doing what their comfortable with, and they are succeeding. They can be beat a bit through the air, but they aren't going to give you much time to do it with that front 4.

Interesting concept.  Too bad nobody here has bothered to take that approach.  

5 hours ago, superozman said:

As a Redskins fan in Eagles country, there are 2 major things i've seen over the first 3 games:

1.  It appears Douggie P. could be the best coach Carson could start his career with.  Doug seemingly is putting Carson in a place to succeed.  He's incorporating the run game, and not making Carson carry the team (Having the lead does help that).  Also (Ahem, Gruden), the red zone offense is scoring TD's, especially with the run game.

2.  More so than Carson and Doug, the Eagles defense has been unreal.  They had a lot of 4-3 personnel in a 3-4 scheme.  Schwartz threw that 3-4 scheme out the window, and the d-line and linebackers are doing what their comfortable with, and they are succeeding.  They can be beat a bit through the air, but they aren't going to give you much time to do it with that front 4.

I wish we'd throw out the 3-4.  But that's for another thread.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Just for fun, who had the better first 3 games as a rookie, RG3 or Wentz?  Griffin was 1-2, Wentz is 3-0, so that probably tips the scales.  

Wentz, if only because he looks like a vet, down to audibles and awareness in the pocket. He's not running a new gimmicky offense, either.

Griffin gets bonus points for shock value and flash though. 

Edit: What I easily compare it to most would be Cam Newton's first few games, where this "raw" QB came into the NFL, a little more than a year removed from being a JUCO phenom, and immediately threw back-to-back 400 yard games against real teams. It was an instant wake-up call for anyone who doubted his ability to transition to the NFL and established him as a real threat.

Wentz faced a lot of similar question marks/criticisms as a prospect and also immediately looked like he belonged.

I really hope this story ends differently for Wentz and I'm wrong about the Cam comparison.

Wentz is surrounded by some good coaching in Philly - on both sides of the ball - and that is helping immensely. The kid is pretty accurate with that ball, too. I wish him a lot of success when they're not playing us. And I'm glad to see someone from a smaller school doing well in the league.

He might be.  Griffin and Vince Young both won rookie of the year before imploding.  I'd urge cautious optimism for Eagles fans.

As a Redskin fan, I'm confident the same Eagles fans who are building him up will tear him down the first time he throws 2 INTs in a game.  Which will happen. Because it happens to everybody.

11 hours ago, brdawk20 said:

Way better than Foles, and the coaching is way better too. Foles could never move well enough to make the play Wentz did to Sproles.

11 hours ago, eaglesfandan said:

Nah, Foles looked like a retarded giraffe whenever he had to leave the pocket.

Let's not crown him after 3 games.  He looks good so far, but let teams get game film on him and see how he and the coaches adjust to that.

16 hours ago, brdawk20 said:

Way better than Foles, and the coaching is way better too. Foles could never move well enough to make the play Wentz did to Sproles.

Yeah, with hindsight, very easy comment to make. 

Fresh off of throwing 26 TD's to only one 2 INTs ... you could not make that statement about Foles and about Kelly, who looked like he was going to revolutionize the game.

5 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Let's not crown him after 3 games.  He looks good so far, but let teams get game film on him and see how he and the coaches adjust to that.

No crowning here.  I've fallen for this **** before lol.

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He might be.  Griffin and Vince Young both won rookie of the year before imploding.  I'd urge cautious optimism for Eagles fans.

As a Redskin fan, I'm confident the same Eagles fans who are building him up will tear him down the first time he throws 2 INTs in a game.  Which will happen. Because it happens to everybody.

Yep, he is going to throw up a stinker eventually.

5 hours ago, gortiz said:

Yeah, with hindsight, very easy comment to make. 

Fresh off of throwing 26 TD's to only one 2 INTs ... you could not make that statement about Foles and about Kelly, who looked like he was going to revolutionize the game.

No, a lot of people were never sold on Foles despite the 27/2 ratio. Part of it is that those of us who paid close attention to the games saw 6 int's in the hands of defensive players dropped. Once there was tape on Foles, he was finished. The difference between Foles and Wentz is like the Grand Canyon. Wentz has the physical tools Foles never had, and furthermore, he has the coaching that Kelly could never give him. Wentz is doing this without having McCoy or Maclin, both of who would be the best offensive players on the Eagles if they still had them.

Archived