Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: That Little Syrian Boy: Here's Who He Was (Warning: Graphic)

Duckus

I post this knowing full well I could get suspended for its graphic nature. But that is the point. This is the **** we need to see.

Brutal.

As a father of a 2 year old girl this shakes me to my core.

CN5RD1yW8AE9ocY.jpg

The numbers associated with today's migration crisis are huge: 4 million Syrians fleeing their country; 3 million Iraqis displaced. But it was the image of a solitary child — a toddler in a red T-shirt, blue shorts and Velcro sneakers, found face-down on a Turkish beach — that shocked and haunted the world this week.

The photo, which first appeared in Turkish media, sparked outrage, distress and no small amount of soul-searching. It was widely shared on Twitter with the hashtag, "KiyiyaVuranInsanlik" — Turkish for "Humanity Washed Ashore."

The drowned boy was 3-year-old Aylan Kurdi, from Syria, part of a group of 23 trying to reach the Greek island of Kos. They'd set out in two boats on the 13-mile Aegean journey, but the vessels capsized.

Aylan Kurdi's 5-year-old brother, Galip, also drowned, as did the boys' mother, Rehan. Their father, Abdullah, survived. In all, five children from that journey are reported dead.

For those interested in giving. This outlines charities. http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1523#.VejfxrxVikp

Yeah, It's pretty awful.  I mean, it's not particularly bloody compared to some of the gruesome pictures out there these days, but Jesus...he almost looks like he's sleeping.   :(  It's terrible what a lot of people out there are going through right now.

I posted a bit about it and the general refugee crisis in the Tunisian Revolution thread the past couple of days.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/329151-tunisian-revolution-and-the-middle-east/?p=10323083

Here's a good comprehensive article I saw a little while ago about this particular incident and the refugee and migrant situation in general:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/europe/migration-crisis-aylan-kurdi-turkey-canada/index.html?sr=tw0903migrantcrisis

Syrian toddler's dad: 'Everything I was dreaming of is gone'

COCmzB0UEAEnfzo.jpg

I think these are only the official numbers of registered refugees.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/09/refugees-call-freedom-budapest-rail-station-150902085038884.html

Police wall blocks refugees in Budapest for second day

Hundreds of refugees stranded outside Budapest's main international railway station have protested for two days as authorities block them from travelling to other countries.

On Wednesday, the refugees shouted "freedom, freedom" and called to be let onto trains as Hungarian authorities said for a second day that they would prevent anyone without a valid visa from entering the station.

Al Jazeera's Andrew Simmons, reporting from outside the Keleti station, described the atmosphere there as "very tense right now" and that the refugees were stuck in limbo.

"A lot of humanitarian workers are saying the government is deliberately letting his happen. They don't want to be here, they want to move on. They can't [use] the rail system and Hungary doesn't want them," our correspondent said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/04/us-europe-migrants-germany-fire-idUSKCN0R406G20150904

German police say five people hurt in fire at refugee shelter

German police said on Friday five people were injured when a fire broke out at a refugee shelter in the town of Heppenheim in the West German state of Hesse.

There was no immediate indication of how the blaze began. Germany, which expects the influx of refugees and migrants to quadruple to about 800,000 this year, has witnessed more than 100 arson attacks on asylum shelters in recent months.

"One resident who tried to rescue himself by jumping out of a window from the second floor was seriously wounded," police spokeswoman Christiane Kobus said in a statement.

Four people were slightly injured by smoke poisoning, she said. More than 60 refugees from countries such as Syria, Iraq, Somalia and Ethiopia were accommodated in the three-storey residential building.

"The fire was extinguished quickly. According to initial findings, the fire emerged behind the entrance door for unknown reasons," Kobus said. Police and state prosecutors had started an investigation into the cause of the fire, she said.

Most of the recent attacks on asylum shelters in Germany have been on empty buildings slated to become shelters. However, politicians have warned that it was only a matter of time before refugees might be hurt.

http://vp.nyt.com/video/2015/09/01/35286_1_migrants-blog-peppspray_wg_360p.mp4

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/reporters-notebook/migrants/hungary-refugees-pepper-spray

Hungarian Police Spray Family Trying to Cross Border 

I blame it on Bush. Alot of the horrors going on in the middle east; can be directly traced to his decision to invade Iraq.

That toddler's family wouldn't be fleeing a war zone; if we didn't destabilize the Mideast by taking out Iraq.

Do you absolve Obama of any blame here? After all, this is happening on his watch…

I can't look at that picture for more than a second. It crushes something inside me. Heart breaking story.

Me too.

With regard to the refugee crisis, that's a pressure cooker situation

So many Muslims who have fled in the past to Europe haven't assimilated. The conservative Muslim movements in France and England are a real problem. Instead of making new lives they want to set up their old life in a new country

And it's the second generation kids who are becoming radicalized, so time doesn't help

We complain about Mexicans, and it baffles me. Christians who want to come over to work hard and become Americans...

CODGOdZWEAE89Kp.jpg

CODGOwaWEAAVt_L.jpg

CODGOsUWgAAHLPE.jpg

CODGOsXXAAAav3x.jpg

CODEmTsWoAApgtn.jpg

CODGRBXW8AAMaqR.jpg

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa

These pics are heartbreaking. AlanKurdi, Ghalib Kurdi & mom now burried in Kobane, same town they were trying 2flee
5:18 AM

Even after tragedy of AlanKurdi & family, 100 ppl from Kobane left city y'day, arrived 2day in Greece via sea from Turkey. 
5:53 AM

Relative of Kobane refugee who made it 2day 2 Greece tells me: "No future. Whole city destroyed. No help from world to rebuild."
5:57 AM

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ad8c62b1feb4465fb9c5cd5769d887a3/latest-british-leader-pledges-more-help-migrants

The Latest: UNHCR says Britain will take 4,000 more refugees

The latest news from the crisis of migrants pouring into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):

12:30 p.m.

------

The U.N. refugee agency says Britain will take a further 4,000 Syrian refugees from camps in the Middle East.

"We obviously welcome very much the move to increase resettlement spaces for Syrians in the UK. Those spaces are going to be critical to the lives and future of 4,000 people," said spokeswoman Melissa Fleming.

"We certainly believe that there's the momentum here" for other countries to follow suit.

Earlier, British Prime Minister David Cameron said only that his country would accept "thousands" more people, on top of the 5,000 already announced, and would give details next week.

A spokeswoman in the 10 Downing Street press office refused to confirm or deny the figure of 4,000, saying that no specifics would be provided until next week. She declined to be identified in line with government policy.

—By Jamey Keaten in Geneva and Greg Katz in London.

https://twitter.com/AFP

BREAKING 300 migrants escape from Hungary refugee border camp: police
6:40 AM

Ain't gonna lie. I teared up looking at that picture.

Me too.  I know we all have seen some really horrible stuff in our time here on Earth, but that (and starvation pictures)...I can't take it.  Hurts inside. 

Edit, add:  I'm thanking<deity here>for every little thing.  We cannot forget how blessed or lucky we are.

Me too. I know we all have seen some really horrible stuff in our time here on Earth, but that (and starvation pictures)...I can't take it. Hurts inside.

Edit, add: I'm thanking<deity here>for every little thing. We cannot forget how blessed or lucky we are.

I look at that picture and I imagine my 1 year old boy somehow drowning because he can't swim yet. I imagine that poor boy struggling to hold onto life when the boat he was in capsized. Escaping the hell of his country only to lose his poor young life.

Then I think about how protected my son is, how he has a wonderful family to care for him. It makes me feel even worse for this child pictured.

It's sad situation all around and but I've been reading a lot of **** being given to European countries for not helping more. They already have tons of problems with immigrants and assimilation but at least some of them are not outright refusing.

The really ****ed up part is how gulf countries like Saudi Arabia have completely turned their backs on these refugees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/04/the-arab-worlds-wealthiest-nations-are-doing-next-to-nothing-for-syrias-refugees/

The world has been transfixed in recent weeks by the unfolding refugee crisis in Europe, an influx of migrants unprecedented since World War II. Their plight was chillingly highlighted on Wednesday in the image of a drowned Syrian toddler, his lifeless body lying alone on a Turkish beach.

A fair amount of attention has fallen on the failure of many Western governments to adequately address the burden on Syria's neighboring countries, which are struggling to host the brunt of the roughly 4 million Syrians forced out of the country by its civil war.

Some European countries have been criticized for offering sanctuary only to a small number of refugees, or for discriminating between Muslims and Christians. There's also been a good deal of continental hand-wringing over the general dysfunction of Europe's systems for migration and asylum.Less ire, though, has been directed at another set of stakeholders who almost certainly should be doing more: Saudi Arabia and the wealthy Arab states along the Persian Gulf.

As Amnesty International recently pointed out, the "six Gulf countries -- Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain -- have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees." This claim was echoed by Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, on Twitter:

I look at that picture and I imagine my 1 year old boy somehow drowning because he can't swim yet. I imagine that poor boy struggling to hold onto life when the boat he was in capsized. Escaping the hell of his country only to lose his poor young life.

Then I think about how protected my son is, how he has a wonderful family to care for him. It makes me feel even worse for this child pictured.

I "liked" your post, but absolutely HATED having to. I hope that makes sense.

I blame it on Bush. Alot of the horrors going on in the middle east; can be directly traced to his decision to invade Iraq.

That toddler's family wouldn't be fleeing a war zone; if we didn't destabilize the Mideast by taking out Iraq.

C'mon man. I HATE W, but Hafez al Assad slaughtered between 20k to 50,000 people (depending on whose estimates you believe) back when W was still driving drunk and snorting coke.

Syria is the most sectarianly divided country in the ME outside of Lebanon. It is ruled by Alawites, a religion which the Islamofacists' favorite theologian Ibn Tawmiyya called idolatrous and issued a fatwa demanding their extermination.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/sep/04/aunt-aylan-galip-kurdi-father-story-family-drowning-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

Aylan Kurdi's aunt tells brother's story of family drowning off Turkey – video

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/04/us-europe-migrants-hungary-idUSKCN0R40FO20150904

Migrants set out on foot, escape train as Hungary crackdown crumbles

Migrants in Hungary, many of them Syrian refugees, broke out of a border camp, fled from a stranded train and struck out on foot for western Europe on Friday as a crackdown by the country’s right-wing government faltered in the face of overwhelming numbers.

In chaotic scenes, hundreds chanting “Germany, Germany” streamed down the main highway from Budapest to Vienna; others sprinted down railway tracks, escaping a packed train held back by police for two days, while in the south they broke down barriers and wrestled with helmeted riot officers at an overcrowded border camp near Serbia.

The chaos contrasted with a vow by Prime Minister Viktor Orban to get to grips with Europe’s worst migrant crisis since the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s; parliament tightened laws that his government said would effectively seal Hungary’s southern border to migrants as of Sept. 15.

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/migrant-boat-runs-around-off-rhodes-greece/

Hungary says it will offer buses to migrants to transport them to the Austrian border - @AP, @Reuters

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak

Update - Hungarian government says around 100 buses will be sent to Keleti station and the motorway to offer transport to Austrian border

3:46 PM

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ad8c62b1feb4465fb9c5cd5769d887a3/latest-british-leader-pledges-more-help-migrants

The Latest: Slovakia rejects EU plan to help migrants

The latest news as tens of thousands of migrants pour into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):

__

9:15 p.m. Slovakia has brushed aside a European Union proposal to share an additional 120,000 refugees in Greece, Hungary and Italy among their EU partners even before the offer is officially made public.

Slovakian Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak said Friday that "quotas solve nothing. We hear there are four million migrants in Turkey now, so where is it going to stop?"

Lajcak told reporters in Luxembourg that "the quotas are small part of the solution and we believe that European Union members pay too much attention to this small part."

The president of the EU's executive Commission is due to unveil the new relocation plan next week. EU leaders announced a plan in June to share 40,000 refugees arriving in Greece and Italy but some nations still refuse to accept their share.

___

9 p.m. The U.S. says it is providing $26.6 million to the U.N. refugee agency to help it provide food, water and legal assistance to refugees traveling through Greece, Macedonia and Serbia.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said Friday the U.S. has provided more than $4 billion in humanitarian aid to those affected by Syria's four-year civil war.

___

8 p.m. A European Union official says the EU's plan to distribute an additional 120,000 migrants across the 28-nation bloc includes relocating 54,000 migrants from Hungary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p031k44r

Syrian mother: "Where do we go?"

Matthew Price has been speaking to a Syrian family from Homs who have made a four-year journey to a camp in Hungary.

"Where do we go,” asked Hamza, an English teacher and mother-of-three.

She fled from Homs with her engineer husband, two daughters of 14 and 18, and 8-year-old son.

There's an audio file at the article to listen to if you want.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/05/us/many-obstacles-are-seen-to-us-taking-in-large-number-of-syrian-refugees.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Many Obstacles Are Seen to U.S. Taking in Large Number of Syrian Refugees

In late spring, with the war in Syria grinding into its fifth year amid an ever-deepening humanitarian catastrophe for millions of refugees, 14 United States senators wrote a letter to President Obama urging that at least 65,000 of the displaced Syrians be allowed to resettle in the United States.

Critics denounced the idea, saying it would open the nation’s borders to potential terrorists, and some even branded the authors of the letter as the “jihadi caucus.”

The criticism, which Obama administration officials say is baseless because of screening procedures asylum seekers undergo, was a powerful measure of the lack of political will and the practical obstacles that have hampered the United States’ ability to intervene more directly in what has become a full-blown migrant crisis in Europe.

Within the Obama administration there has been intense discussion about additional action, including the possibility of a major announcement tied to Pope Francis’ visit to Washington this month. But beyond providing additional funds, experts on refugee issues say, the United States’ options are limited.

The United States Navy’s Sixth Fleet, which has responsibility for the Mediterranean, the North Atlantic and most of Africa, could deploy rescue ships to help ease the perilous crossings that have led to so many deaths at sea.

And there is precedent for the Navy to intervene in the migrant crisis: In 2013, a Navy crew rescued more than 100 Somali migrants from a raft in the central Mediterranean, taking them aboard the amphibious transport dock ship San Antonio. The men were taken to the Maltese Grand Harbor and turned over to the coast guard of Malta.

But in the current circumstances, there is no consensus yet among European nations about where migrants rescued in the Mediterranean should be brought to shore.

Senator Amy Klobuchar, Democrat of Minnesota, who signed the letter urging Mr. Obama to accept more Syrian refugees, said there was little attention then, other than from critics, but that the photographs of recent days seemed to raise awareness.

“It is horrifying,” Ms. Klobuchar said of the picture of a drowned toddler in Turkey. “But it is something that we anticipated and that’s why we wrote this letter. We knew of the mounting problem for the humanitarian issues, the moral issues.”

Still, she said she understood the political climate. “I am not naïve about this. I don’t know that there is the political will right now to increase the numbers,” she said. “But you never know when it might happen.”

Eric P. Schwartz, a former assistant secretary of state for population, refugees and migration, who is now dean of the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota, said presidential leadership would help drive public response.

“The folks who lead our humanitarian work in the government are the best in the world, but you need the president of the United States and the secretary of state, but the president in particular, to speak out about our responsibilities here and to define the challenge,” he said.

Increasing the number of Syrians granted asylum by 50,000 on an emergency basis would also help, he said, by sending “an extremely powerful signal to Europe and to the world.”

https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/639997335209181184

The refugee crisis since 2011, in one GIF
11:03 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/COG6L06XAAAgI6Q.mp4

Agree with NoExcuses, an absolute travesty that the rich arab countries are not actively housing any of these refugees. Shame on them. 

Pretty shameful...although they tend to treat migrants and refugees pretty badly in some of those countries anyway.

I wonder if Iran has taken in any refugees. I never hear much about them when this discussion comes up.  

Not that a lot of the refugees would want to go, but some might. 

Saw this earlier.  I wonder how much of the money that was pledged actually got to people.

I know the UN had to cut a lot of programs and supplies for refugees in Jordan and other places due to a lack of funds

COF7P5SXAAAAO3D.jpg

COF9A-6UsAA0IY6.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34157123

Inside Zuwara, the heart of Libya's people-smuggling trade

The walk along the beach in Zuwara was short, but in just 50 yards I found three dead bodies in the sand. They were all adult men, their corpses baking in the brilliant heat of the afternoon.

They had been there for some time. One appeared to be African, but the other two were so swollen and decomposed it was impossible to tell where they came from.

But they may have been Syrian. Or Palestinian. Or Iraqi. These are the people who flock here in their thousands, paying $1,000-$2,000 (£660-£1320) to get on tiny fishing boats they hope will make it across the Mediterranean to Italian waters.

Zuwara is the dark heart of Libya's smuggling trade. At the jetty of a former chemical plant about 20km (12 miles) from the town, people smugglers operate freely.

A week ago, two of the boats that set off from here ran into trouble. Two hours into their journey, they sank.

Nearly 200 people drowned. Bad weather or a dispute between rival smuggling gangs may have caused these deaths.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/09/austria-germany-agree-accept-refugee-group-150904233629888.html

Refugees begin arriving at Hungary-Austria border

Hundreds of refugees have begun arriving at Hungary's border crossing with Austria after spending days stranded at Budapest's main railway terminus.

They will receive food before being registered and processed by authorities. About 2,000 refugees have arrived so far, police say, and the number could more than double throughout Saturday.

https://twitter.com/BBCMatthewPrice

reporting from the Austrian border.

A bunch of pics and video clips on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/BBCMatthewPrice/status/640102945409880064

Kids being given food in Austria.

http://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2015/09/official-announcement-2

Real Madrid has announced that it will donate one million euros to aid refugees that are taken in by Spain.

Faithful to its commitment to charity, the club has taken this decision with the aim of supporting men, women and children who have been forced to leave their homes in order to flee from war and death.

The president of Real Madrid, Florentino Pérez, spoke yesterday by phone with the president of the Government, Mariano Rajoy. The pair talked about this contribution and other measures that the club will put in place in order to collaborate with the care of refugees that arrive in Spain.

Among these measures, the club is considering various initiatives and schemes with a special focus placed on the youngest refugees. It will also make some of the club's infrastructure and sports goods available to the Executive's interministerial commission that organises the system for receiving refugees.

https://twitter.com/AFP

BREAKING: German police expect up to 7,000 migrants to arrive from Hungary on Saturday
6:18 AM 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/heres-how-the-refugees-were-welcomed-when-they-reached-germa#.xakj88PmB

Here’s How The Refugees Were Welcomed When They Reached Germany And Austria

Thousands of refugees, who have tried for days to reach Germany but were blocked by Hungarian officials from leaving Budapest by rail, finally made it to Munich on Saturday — where they were met with cheers and applause from locals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/world/europe/migrant-crisis-austria-hungary-germany.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Germans Welcome Migrants After Long Journey Through Hungary and Austria

Germans waving welcome signs in German, English and Arabic came to the train station here Saturday to greet the first group of what is expected to be about 8,000 migrants to arrive in Germany by early Sunday, after an arduous and emotional journey through Hungary and Austria.

Germans applauded and volunteers offered hot tea, food and toys as about 450 migrants arrived on a special train service from Austria, finally reaching Germany, which had held out an open hand to them.

“Thank you, Germany,” said one woman from the Kurdish part of northern Iraq who said she had been on the road for a month and a half with her two children. A German volunteer, Silvia Reinschmiedt, who runs a local school, could not stay at home. “I said to myself, I have to do something,” she said as she handed out warm drinks.

By Saturday evening, about 6,000 migrants had arrived here, and another 1,800 were expected to arrive in trains overnight, according to the German police.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0R507E20150905

Finland's PM Sipila offers his home to refugees

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finland's Prime Minister Juha Sipila said on Saturday he would offer his home to refugees.

As EU leaders struggle to agree policies to cope with a huge influx of migrants, many fleeing war in Syria, Sipila said his home in Kempele, northern Finland, was little used at the moment and would house asylum seekers from the start of next year.

"We should all take a look in the mirror and ask how we can help," Sipila told national broadcaster YLE.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/9/4/gulf-countries-pressure-syrian-refugees.html?utm_content=bylines&utm_campaign=ajam&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Gulf countries face pressure to take in more Syrian refugees

More than 4 million Syrian refugees have fled their war-torn country, but the six wealthy Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries have officially resettled none of them.

Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have instead allowed the refugee burden to fall mainly on Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan and, to a lesser degree, on Iraq and Egypt.

The GCC states have, of course, been making donations to Syria, with Kuwait among the top international check writers. Kuwait has hosted international pledging conferences for Syria, which have raised billions of dollars. And Qatar has given some $1.6 billion and regularly sends aid to Syrian refugees.

While the Gulf’s financial contributions have been generous, the alliance's humanitarian admission for Syrians has been much less so.

Millions of migrant workers, including many from refugee-producing countries, live in GCC countries. Among them are hundreds of thousands of Syrians, with some unofficial estimates of 300,000 in Saudi Arabia, 150,000 in the UAE and 120,000 in Kuwait. Among them are professionals, low-skilled workers, family members and students.

At the start of the Syrian conflict, the Gulf states took in what Qatari-owned newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi referred to as "five star" refugees — businessmen and highly skilled professionals.

Others got through different means. Many who entered the GCC countries from Syria with a work permit or a tourist visa — but whose legal rights to stay in the Gulf have expired — have been allowed to stay on, according to Abdulkhaleq Abdulla, an Emirati political scientist.

Exactly how many is unclear. He said, "Everyone should be doing more," including the UAE and the Gulf states. "It is a humanitarian crisis."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/world/gulf-monarchies-bristle-at-criticism-over-response-to-syrian-refugee-crisis.html

Gulf Monarchies Bristle at Criticism Over Response to Syrian Refugee Crisis

Archived