Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland: Snyder Stays Silent: Why Washington’s Quiet Offseason Provides a Welcome Change in D.C.

MattFancy

Well, on your first paragraph, it's not the "only" reason in some cases as much as "mainly", or "heavily motivated to find fault" (bias) going by what those folks actually say in their posts, and the evidence is that lots of posters (and certainly the bulk of the staff) sure do know what sub is talking about--it's not hard to see.   :)

Most of the reflexively and repetitively rambunctious types in either camp (again, simplified mass groupings bother us all at times and yet still have a useful and worthy place in life if applied properly) have (for now) been diluted by time and various events, or have just voluntarily (self-control does still exist) died down to the occasional "go." In some instances, assistance has been provided by moderators via our forum rules and guidelines. 

You know what I realized recently?...You use parenthesis as much as I use "lol" lol :D ...

It's like there's a whole new paragraph of text within your parenthesis...parenthesises...parenthie?...Whatver, you know what I mean :angry:

<shrugs/gestures/makes faces/uses similes but not asterisks/ and totally abuses parentheses  :P

lol

Well, on your first paragraph, it's not the "only" reason in some cases as much as "mainly", or "heavily motivated to find fault" (bias) going by what those folks actually say in their posts, and the evidence is that lots of posters (and certainly the bulk of the staff) sure do know what sub is talking about--it's not hard to see.   :)

Is it me?...Oh God it's me isn't it?.... 

Yes, I am intimately acquainted with the dark inner world of sophisticated parenthetical applications, but one must endure great hardships before being allowed into that circle.

I like using them to send quasi-subliminal behavioral modification content within the "outer" message.

Don't tell or it ****s everything up.

Why is he a terrible owner?    because the media says so?

In my opinion, he's been a terrible owner to date because he hasn't built a proper front office structure, he hasn't empowered the right people to do their job without interference, and he has given preferential treatment to big names before they've won a thing/earned it. 

Those three items are the key to turning the team around. For example, as talented as McCloughan seems to be he won't change the fortunes of this team unless he's supported by his superior (Bruce Allen) and is allowed to run the personnel exactly how he sees fit. 

I believe the Skins were pretty quiet on big name players last year as well.

Hatcher was the biggest name and the Skins got one more win.

Not counting Jackson he was released after free agency started and wasn't on our target list.

Not Skins fault Kelly has had fire sale last 2 years.

Free agency or not we need our new GM to hit a homerun on draft day.

In my opinion, he's been a terrible owner to date because he hasn't built a proper front office structure

That is what's new. Snyder's thinking has always been coach-centric (except for when we had Zorn, and that was a fallback) but we haven't had anyone in the FO with player-personnel chops until now.

If by "folk" you mean the particular group of obsessive posters who have a narcissistic need to spread their narratives as proven by the volume and repetitive nature of their posts then, yes, exactly.

No need for spinning anything since the rest of his supposed "glaring flaws" were not the point of discussion.

I only read one obsessive lol narcissistic narrative being pushed here.

Shocker!

Hmmm... I wonder why you felt the need to respond so foolishly to that. Weird. ;)

Free country. Why did you post so foolishly?

;)

And I was just being honest. Reading this thread the only thing that struck my as pushing an agenda was your agenda stating that others were pushing an agenda.

And I was just being honest. Reading this thread the only thing that struck me as pushing an agenda was your stating that others were pushing an agenda.

What happened to us subm it doesn't have to be like this ;)

Free country. Why did you post so foolishly?;)And I was just being honest. Reading this thread the only thing that struck my as pushing an agenda was your agenda stating that others were pushing an agenda.And I was just being honest. Reading this thread the only thing that struck my as pushing an agenda was your agenda stating that others were pushing an agenda.

Interesting.

I've never been accused of "pushing an agenda", especially the laughable "pushing an agenda about others pushing an agenda" and if I ever have I don't think I could ever be successful at it considering my post count to time spent here ratio, but I'm not surprised you feel that way.

As someone who generally cares about the board, even putting aside mod duties, I'd think everyone should have this agenda you think I'm "pushing". It's one damn fine one.

What happened to us subm it doesn't have to be like this ;)

Just saw this edit, lol. I'd say what happened is an unwillingness to ever bend as well as a lack of this type of friendly banter. You're absolutely right, it doesn't have to and never had to. :)

The 'agenda' thing is both nauseating and swings both ways. 

Some undoubtedly DO have an agenda as regards a love/ preference for RGIII and use that to lay into Gruden. 

Others bring up the faults of BOTH guys, not least all the backwards statistical steps that occurred under the HC last year and they still get bundled into the same package as having an 'agenda.'

How is that ANY different from what the accusers are doing in that instance? It's akin to pushing one 'agenda' in place of another. I don't like what you say, even if you back it up, so my positive outweighs your negative. 

It get's repetitive (also nauseating it's true), because there's nothing else to base criticism off than what's actually transpired. So when the debate comes up, the same arguments all ways round ensue. Just the nature of the beast. 

That said, again, in this relatively serene offseason as we all look forward to the draft under a new GM almost everyone is in full support of, can we let these tussles lie? I have little doubt the place will be full of them when it gets into late summer/ early fall. 

Hail. 

That is what's new. Snyder's thinking has always been coach-centric (except for when we had Zorn, and that was a fallback) but we haven't had anyone in the FO with player-personnel chops until now.

Yeah, he's made perfectly defendable hires in the past (Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan) with the probable exception of Zorn. The issue, to me, reaches a little further up than just having a good GM to stock the team with players. For all we know the personnel department here was always talented (hell, didn't we have John Schneider on staff?).

The problem is that no one in the front office has been empowered to provide a vision or philosophy that can last beyond a coach's tenure. Since Snyder gave the wrong level of the organization control, that vision was changing anytime a Spurrier couldn't cut it, a Gibbs burned out, or a Shanahan/Marty had issues with the owner.

So, I'm happy to have a respected personnel mind calling the shots...as long as he's given a full opportunity to build a team based on his philosophy. That way, we can accumulate talent and, as things move forward, hire coaches that fit that philosophy. It's the reason the Steelers didn't skip a beat when Tomlin replaced Cowher.  

In my opinion, he's been a terrible owner to date because he hasn't built a proper front office structure, he hasn't empowered the right people to do their job without interference, and he has given preferential treatment to big names before they've won a thing/earned it. 

Those three items are the key to turning the team around. For example, as talented as McCloughan seems to be he won't change the fortunes of this team unless he's supported by his superior (Bruce Allen) and is allowed to run the personnel exactly how he sees fit. 

His structure was no different with Gibbs and Shanny then what the Pats have with Belichik or the Eagles have with Chip Kelly.

Proven people failed him.

Is Kraft involved in free agency and the draft? Is he scouting or interviewing prospects and negotiating with free agents? I doubt he is best buds with the runningback or that he has threatened to ruin any players' careers. The patriots structure also involved skilled football personnel men who are empowered to do their job, not Danny with 0 football knowledge and his yes man puppet.

Snyder is a putz. He has no concept of organizational structure and is the person most responsible for the ****ty culture of this team.

Is Kraft involved in free agency and the draft? Is he scouting or interviewing prospects and negotiating with free agents? I doubt he is best buds with the runningback or that he has threatened to ruin any players' careers. The patriots structure also involved skilled football personnel men who are empowered to do their job, not Danny with 0 football knowledge and his yes man puppet.

Snyder is a putz. He has no concept of organizational structure and is the person most responsible for the ****ty culture of this team.

Snyder was a putz. Past tense. 

All you say was very true and pertinent. 

The last few years, not so much. If at all. 

Embrace the future. Never forget the sins of the past but let them go, 

Hail. 

First, GHH, I want you to note this: "both sides" of the excess have been consistently called out, not just one, but your bias has you defending just the one side you feel is being oppressed. Notice that.  

For the record, the "hater" group has received more actual rule violation and bans, simply by appropriate circumstance. Some of them think the mods are biased against criticism of RG3 as a result. I have personally been "called out" be several of them. It's typical in such times.

When we enforce things in any topic that has groups holding strongly polarized views, whether here or in the tailgate (i.e. abortion, religion, homosexuality, racism etc), this often happens, though it's been more in the past---where "leaders" or posters on one side feel oppressed while thinking the other side isn't getting the same scrutiny (i.e. "favoritism" or "the mods juts don't like my views").

There too, we will see posters whom "everyone" else views as being very much set in certain consistent slots on certain topics given their posts, but the poster will deny they are in that slot or claim they're unaware of it and usually argue it, and that's fine. In this matter, that too has been addressed many times---how no one likes to be "reduced" in their position to these terms, but sometimes the old "quacks, walks, and has the yellow feathers" thing just dominates reality, whatever else may be said to be so.

But on to this:(and I am writing this out at length here in the thread for good reason)

I said to move on from these matters in my earlier post and two non-staff members--GHH & dg ignored it. Usually that's an automatic ban of varying length depending on circumstance. GHH, some of your posting habits and temperament have left you with several rule violations from a couple different moderators, recently and in the past. I'd suggest most of it is due to impulsivity and reactivity (just as in this case), and none have been really egregious. But you'd be well served to avoid adding more.

dg---here you go again, and once more ignore my instruction, this time to move on in this thread. And you not only volunteer to insert yourself in challenge on a non-football topic, you actually call out thesubmitted one (who does not have the topical agenda issue here at all) on the very matter of which you are a prime offender. Awesome. This is like Jack the Ripper claiming to represent Sidewalk Safety for Hookers and yelling at the beat cop for being part of the problem.

You have, and have long held, the lead (now 188 posts) in the RG3OCD thread, not to mention innumerable similar posts in other threads, and have had that dissing/ridiculing picture of Jay as your avatar for many months---nothing against the rules there, it just goes to the reality that your bias is significant and glaring, any denials on your end aside. For many months you didn't post as much as campaign.

You and a couple others actually stimulated staff discussion about modifying the spam rule to also count simply "incessant repetition." Having a serious bias is certainly not a problem any more than holding any particular view is as far as ES staff is concerned. How you post (express) it here does matter, and when board rules and guidelines are violated, you're as accountable as any ES member. 

As you have been told before, your stream of factoids, stats, and data, and a fair portion of your analysis is the positive you bring to ES. As a consequence, however, of your "posting style" (or persona here) you have been told specifically to stick with that stuff, or go with more lighthearted banter and joking around, which are forms we almost never see from you. 

The feedback you've generated over time is that the positives are notably sullied by your persona---almost always described (and I'm talking by solid members, not idjits) with words like "consistently obnoxious", "insulting", "egotistical", "demeaning", "ridiculing", and the big point being you also post those traits too often in unmerited fashion in reply to disagreeing posters. As I stated in PM to you, there were many parallels to another ES'er, NLC1054, whom you used to butt heads with, and who chose not to return after his last ban (which wasn't by me). To put it bluntly, way too many people, inc. a half dozen mods, over a very long time, have the view that you just "act like a dick a lot", to use a word. But you're the one that needs to figure that stuff out, if you care to.

As for the narcissism thing as you applied it towards others, I will say, and others can confirm this, that I have rarely seen a poster be tagged with the same term by so many fellow participants as you have been tagged with "narcissist." It's close to how "everyone" tagged McD5 as a "fraud" and similar examples in the ES Pantheon. So whatever that might mean to you, there it is. 

You have had your history here with different penalties and staff members over time, more recently you had some more and it was made very clear to you that you need to avoid the constant rule 5 (and others inc. rule 18 violations which could mean a permanent ban) issues. The PM you received with the temp ban a couple months back was reviewed by the entire active staff and everyone is on the same page. What was expected of you in fixing this was detailed, and the issues as noted are matters that all active staff members and many posters have certainly commented a great deal on, so there's no reasonable way I can see you being unaware.

But even aside from this now, since that time you have violated those terms more than once in interactions with Zragone, hankersonfan cum Texaskinsfan, sack n stuff, and others. Remember, the restrictions stated for you to avoid the back and forth sniping and slamming, even the level that's within the rules, that others still can enjoy (up to a point).Yet the axe had not dropped on you for it. I was still giving it more time.

Now I am going to do a temp ban (not a permanent one which is up) on ignoring my instruction. If such ever results in anyone wanting to take their ball and go elsewhere, that's on them. If you, dg, return, my hope is you'll address the style of your participation. There has been a great deal of effort and patience by ES staff extended in all these matters. 

And here I will thank many other posters, on "both sides", who have cooperated on such issues--you know who you are and so do we and you are very much appreciated.

Now, back to the topic (and another thank you to those who posted after this began but had the good judgment to stay out of it as it's OT and doesn't concern them.

That's a shame, really. I never intended anything to get to this point and I feel responsible for a lot of this, but as Jumbo has said, fair warning has been given on numerous occasions and there needs to be a level of understanding here to allow the balanced discussions that make this place great.

It's unfortunate, really. Though I agree with and appreciate what Jumbo is trying to accomplish now, I was going to let everything go here myself since the two posters that "took it there" in dg and GHH have their issues with me on a more individual level with our past butting of heads, so I wasn't going to mod here to avoid any potential biases, or claims of such, on my end to come out.

My first response in this thread wasn't intended to provoke or instigate anything, though I see how it ended up doing so and I'm mad at myself about it. ZRagone had a first response to it that, though I disagreed with, should be emulated in how it was presented. Califan as well.   

I'm glad GHH was given some rope here... now, speaking as a mod, let's move on and keep the thread on topic.     

Why is he a terrible owner?    because the media says so?

Because I say so. Also there's the pesky fact that since he's taken ownership, this team has been lingering somewhere between mediocre to downright dreadful. Sure, things weren't great when he took over, but he hasn't figured out a way to turn that around in 15+ years. In that time I've lost my virginty, graduated high school and college, got married and I'm expecting my first kid in eight weeks. We should all hope and pray Scot turns this around, or there is probably no hope under this current ownership. If Dan runs Scot off, we're doomed.

Archived