Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serialpodcast.org

Elessar78

I'm listening to the "Best defense..." ep now, but just went back and read this.

To me, that is not a small thing.  It is a huge glaring piece of abnormal behavior, and one of the things I am having the most trouble getting past before I can believe Adnan is innocent. 

The cops call you at night, looking for this girl who you care a lot about, and who you don't assume is murdered and your inner thought, you claim, is "Wow, she's going to be in a lot of trouble."  The normal reaction would be to try to call her immediately after hanging up with the cop, to say where the hell are you and what's going on.  Or if not her, you call someone else who might know where she is.  Stoned, sober, whatever, you call someone. 

He makes no calls right away.  Not for over a half hour.  And never tries to call her even once

We know he had no compunction about calling her after midnight even when they were broken up.  He called her right away to give her the new cell #.  That is just extremely unusual for anyone, and particularly out of character for him (it would seem), and it gnaws at me.

His excuse about being around other people who were paging or calling or whatever in school holds no water for me, because it doesn't explain that night.  And because when you're really worried about someone it doesn't matter.  Compare to the girl's reaction, which is much more normal. You page them freaking constantly. And just because they didn't respond to try #20, doesn't mean they won't respond to try #21.

I think he is at the very least complicit, and knew she was dead before he got that phonecall.

I thought this was also weird, but Don said he did not contact Hae either.

Finally finished

He did it. Of that I'm convinced. I also think he should have been found not guilty. Too much "reasonable doubt".

Why are you convinced he did it? I can't make up my mind at this point. I find it too curious that he can't account for a lot of what he did that day, and his reaction to the police call is weird. But if he was guilty why would he push for the DNA results? Any strangling is going to the perps DNA under the victims fingernails. He's killing his chances of ever getting off by going this route if he's guilty.

It's also clear to me that he had the worst "greatest defense lawyer" in history. She was beyond bad. How in the world does she not put Asia McLean on the stand?

I found her behavior outside of the courtroom to be even worse. She deserved to be disbarred.

Ok I think he did it because of the following

1- the Nisha call. In 1999 were cell phones capable of butt dialing a number other than one just recently called? They weren't like today's smart phones.

2- cell pings the area around the park during the time jay says they were burying the body

3- Asia McLean. This is convoluted. But why didn't adnan jump on the chance to use this as his alibi? Unless he knew it was a lie that would crumble in court.

4- not calling or paging her while he was with others that were. So I imagine a group of teens sitting around a table desperately worried about their friend. All of them calling and paging her. And he's just sitting there? No way. Not unless he already knew she was dead.

All of that said, any one of us tailgate attorneys would have gotten a not guilty verdict rather easily it seems. Reasonable doubt in just about every single important aspect of te prosecutions case.

1- Asia McLean

2- jays multiple stories about where adnan called him or met him

3- cell tower pings don't match

4-people saw hae after she was supposedly dead

5- Asia mclean again.

Either he did it. Or he's the most unlucky guy in the world. But he shouldn't have lost the case

Ok I think he did it because of the following

1- the Nisha call. In 1999 were cell phones capable of butt dialing a number other than one just recently called? They weren't like today's smart phones.

2- cell pings the area around the park during the time jay says they were burying the body

3- Asia McLean. This is convoluted. But why didn't adnan jump on the chance to use this as his alibi? Unless he knew it was a lie that would crumble in court.

4- not calling or paging her while he was with others that were. So I imagine a group of teens sitting around a table desperately worried about their friend. All of them calling and paging her. And he's just sitting there? No way. Not unless he already knew she was dead.

All of that said, any one of us tailgate attorneys would have gotten a not guilty verdict rather easily it seems. Reasonable doubt in just about every single important aspect of te prosecutions case.

1- Asia McLean

2- jays multiple stories about where adnan called him or met him

3- cell tower pings don't match

4-people saw hae after she was supposedly dead

5- Asia mclean again.

Either he did it. Or he's the most unlucky guy in the world. But he shouldn't have lost the case

1 - Even more so that today. Remember, old phones didn't have lock screens and if it wasn't a flip phone, it was really easy to butt dial someone. I know I had people that I called the most on speed dial on my phone and it was really easy to put your phone into your pocket and accidentally dial someone.

2 - That one may be a little tougher to explain, but they did say in earlier episodes that it wasn't always exact. In fact, the prosecution tested 14 different times cell locations, but only cited 4 during the trial. Why? Those were probably the ones that matched the best. 4/14 isn't a great percentage.

3 - It sounds like he gave the letters to his lawyer and/or his lawyer knew about Asia. Think that one is more on his lawyer than him.

4 - Didn't Don, her boyfriend at the time, also state he never contacted Hae either? He said they thought she just went out to Cali to be with her dad or something.

I still don't think he did it. Not 100% sure, but failry sure. Or maybe he did, just not during the timeframe the state put together to make their case. Just way too many holes to say he did it without any reasonable doubt.

I did not expect Sarah to come to any big "reveal" on whether or not Adnan was guilty or innocent but I'm pretty disappointed at the last episode.

When Adnan asked her point blank, "So you don't have an ending?" and she replied (to us), "Of course I have an ending" I thought we'd get a lot more than we did. She basically ran another episode of questions and signed out. Bleehhhh...

Reminded me of LOST. 

I did not expect Sarah to come to any big "reveal" on whether or not Adnan was guilty or innocent but I'm pretty disappointed at the last episode.

When Adnan asked her point blank, "So you don't have an ending?" and she replied (to us), "Of course I have an ending" I thought we'd get a lot more than we did. She basically ran another episode of questions and signed out. Bleehhhh...

Reminded me of LOST. 

I feel like the ending was her pointing out that the defense and jury made a mistake in this case. There were a bunch of holes that it seems no one can answer for sure. So how does a jury convict someone when there were holes throughout the state's case? I think that was what she was trying to get to. Also, that real life cases aren't like the ones we see on TV. There's not many open and shut cases. This being one of those types where you think you know the story, but when you dig deeper, it turns out, you really don't know what happened.

2 - That one may be a little tougher to explain, but they did say in earlier episodes that it wasn't always exact. In fact, the prosecution tested 14 different times cell locations, but only cited 4 during the trial. Why? Those were probably the ones that matched the best. 4/14 isn't a great percentage.

Because the other ones either didn't match up with Jay's testimony, or weren't necessary to their story.  They did say it's inexact, and better to use to say where you weren't, as opposed to where you were.  But it seems to at least potentially put him in the park at that time.

4 - Didn't Don, her boyfriend at the time, also state he never contacted Hae either? He said they thought she just went out to Cali to be with her dad or something.

He did say that (although he's just talking from memory, and not with call records in front of him, so he could be mistaken).  I still contend it's weird.  If the cops call me looking for anyone I'm close to, I'm calling someone right away.  The person they were looking for.  Someone else who might know where she is.  Other family to try to find out more about what's going on.  He gets a call from the cops, talks to them for 5 min, and doesn't make another call for at least 45 minutes.  I assume this is the time Jay's friend (Cathy?) says Adnan and Jay were sitting in the car in the parking lot talking.  Most likely trying to get their stories straight, I'd bet.

I think he was involved.  But it is an outrage that he was convicted.

Yes. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying repeatedly that he had nothing to do with it.

I just remember things like, "I don't know where I was that day" and "If people don't believe me I can't do anything about it."

However, I also wasn't optimally attentive through every episode.

I just remember things like, "I don't know where I was that day" and "If people don't believe me I can't do anything about it."

However, I also wasn't optimally attentive through every episode.

He definitely said those things as well. But I remember him saying a few times that he had nothing to do with Hae's murder.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he had something to do with it, I just feel fairly confident that if he did, it certainly doesn't fit into the timeline that the State/Jay laid out during the trial.

Reminded me of LOST. 

I think he was phishing, trying to find out if she was going to say he did it. As the episodes went on, and she began to doubt his testimony(when she realized Hae wasn't killed at the same time Nisha saw Adnan in the library), there seemed to be more tension in their conversations and Adnan became more defensive. I know they have hours of conversation that was never put in the podcasts, but from what she showed, she never came out and said she felt he was innocent after the time of death was changed to late evening. Early on in the podcasts, she seemed convinced he was innocent and was working hard to get him out of jail. 

Regardless, if he had a halfway decent lawyer who could've at least got the jury to understand the State had a flimsy case. Zero physical evidence. And the only reason they were sitting in their chairs in that courtroom was due to the word of a known liar and drug dealer who'd made a deal prior to recording his testimony...we wouldn't be discussing this right now. 

I found this article with a pretty interesting tidbit-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2830737/New-hope-convicted-murderer-brilliant-high-school-girlfriend-case-cult-podcast-hit-Serial.html

The other new strand is over one of the investigators, and has not been disclosed in the show: Ritz, who led the murder investigation and compiled the file against Syed.

Ritz, 60, worked for the Baltimore City Police Department for 32 years before retiring last year under a cloud.

The veteran homicide investigator was one of 16 police officers sued by Ezra Mable who claims police pressured witnesses to lie and intentionally mishandled evidence leading to his wrongful conviction for murder.

Mable was only released after serving ten years in jail in what he called 'one of the most shameful episodes of police misconduct' in Baltimore's history.

Baltimore Police have a history of shaddiness. I was in a car accident in Baltimore city about 5 years ago. The officer recommended a body shop to take my car too, so that's where my car went. It took 2 months for the shop to repair my bumper. That was all the damage to my car, just needed to replace the bumper. Come to found out 2 years ago, a bunch of cops were getting kickbacks from this body shop and sending cars there. So that story Kilmer, sounds totally feasible to me.

Archived