Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serialpodcast.org

Elessar78

IMO, Jay comes off even worse. What was he trying to gain here? Just more proof that his stories don't match up as this one is different than his police testimony. He even admits in the interview he lied to police about where he first saw Hae's body. The timing of things he says in this interview don't match up with his testimony either. Way to perjure yourself idiot.

I just can't wrap my head around how casually both Jay and Adnan describe their "friendship."

If that's true, and we have no reason to believe it isn't, I guess, then why the hell is Adnan lending Jay his car and cell phone?

I just can't imagine a circumstance where, at 17, I'm lending my sketchy drug dealer/super casual acquaintance my car and phone for half a day.  And not for some emergency, but just to go to the mall and buy a girl a present?  Eff you.  Take the bus.

Agreed, I felt Jay was covering for somebody else before that nobody knew about. Now I just have no clue, but feel that she's still not telling the truth and only spoke because of how bad he looked from the podcast.

This reminds me of a far out theory from Reddit that, in a nutshell, went like this:  What if this was a case of mistaken identity?  Jay is in bad with the guys who deal to him.  Serious dudes.  They threaten to kill his gf if he doesn't get the money he owes them.  He fails.  They make good on their threat, but get mixed up on who his gf is and kill the wrong smart, athletic, successful senior at Woodlawn, taking out Hae instead of Stephanie. 

To be clear, I don't buy that theory for a moment.  Too many ifs.  Besides, hardcore drug dealers would have used a gun.  But the point is...who could he be covering for?  Who would have Jay scared enough, or caring enough about what happened to them, that he would be willing to perjure himself and put an innocent kid in jail for life?  AND a motive? 

The funniest part of the interview to me is that he said he helped Adnan because he was scared Adnan would go to the cops about Jay being a drug dealer. Um, hello, Jay. If he did that, couldn't you have gone to the cops and been like, "dude just murdered someone and told me all about it officer"? That just makes no sense at all to me.

Then also, what kind of big time drug dealer doesn't have a cell phone, pager or car? Jay just seems like he's full of crap.

I read the Jay interview and my first instinct was "this makes a lot of sense, kid was scared, didn't want to get people involved, caught in a ****ty situation and was scared ..." but then after reading some reactions in the comments and on here, it does look like his discrepancies are way off now and it fits even less than the police narrative set for trial. I'm curious to see this info graph that Chaudria apparently said they're working on on twitter.

I read the Jay interview and my first instinct was "this makes a lot of sense, kid was scared, didn't want to get people involved, caught in a ****ty situation and was scared ..." but then after reading some reactions in the comments and on here, it does look like his discrepancies are way off now and it fits even less than the police narrative set for trial. I'm curious to see this info graph that Chaudria apparently said they're working on on twitter.

And I don't remember the call log times from the podcasts, but Jay's interview says they didn't get to Leakin Park until midnight. Sounds like they were there for awhile too. Took them 40 minutes to dig the grave. 45 minutes to walk to the car and get back and bury her, etc.

Then you have his, it was starting to get dark around 3-4pm thing. Where does it get dark between 3-4pm? According to the podcast, sunset that day was at 5:05. How was it dark at 4?

And I don't remember the call log times from the podcasts, but Jay's interview says they didn't get to Leakin Park until midnight. Sounds like they were there for awhile too. Took them 40 minutes to dig the grave. 45 minutes to walk to the car and get back and bury her, etc.

Then you have his, it was starting to get dark around 3-4pm thing. Where does it get dark between 3-4pm? According to the podcast, sunset that day was at 5:05. How was it dark at 4?

Yeah but what was the weather like? I know, living up north where it's always gray and cloudy this time of year ... that while the sun sets at X time ... it's usually darker earlier than that with the clouds. When it is officially "dark" at 5:15 ... it feels like it's basically dusk/night by 4 or 4:15 if it's cloudy

Yeah but what was the weather like? I know, living up north where it's always gray and cloudy this time of year ... that while the sun sets at X time ... it's usually darker earlier than that with the clouds. When it is officially "dark" at 5:15 ... it feels like it's basically dusk/night by 4 or 4:15 if it's cloudy

I don't know if they said what the weather was that day.

IMO, the interview didn't do Jay any favors and almost makes him look worse. Just was a dumb idea on his part to come out and talk now. Will be interested to read Part 2 when that comes out.

Then also, what kind of big time drug dealer doesn't have a cell phone, pager or car? Jay just seems like he's full of crap.

In 1999 I knew a few drug dealers that had none of these things. Come to think of it, in 1999 I think I only had a car.

However, I agree that Jay's interview cleared nothing up.

He comes across even worse in this one, I think.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/30/exclusive-jay-part-2/

If he's trying to clear his name, he's doing a terrible job of it.

I get the very distinct impression that when people said "Jay lies", what they really mean is he's one of these chronic exaggerators.  I know a guy that does this.  Embellishes all sorts of things, minor stuff, for no good reason at all.  I don't think he can help it, or even necessarily "knows" that he's doing it.  Jay's description of Sarah's visit to his house certainly has that feel, to me. 

make you wonder.  Maybe he goes from "he told me the body was in the trunk" to "I saw the body in the trunk" like it's nothing

cleardot.gif

I'm kinda leaning towards the thought that Jay knows who did it, but at this point he's afraid the popularity of Serial may uncover who the real killer was and he'll be in trouble for lying. If he is to be believed now, and this interview is to be his official story, even after he claimed he was no longer afraid he would be put in jail, he still lied to the police and under oath.

He did that interview because he's afraid, that may be the only thing he told the truth about. I also wish the interviewer asked more hard hitting questions, maybe she was afraid Jay would end the interview if she pressed him harder. I was wondering why she didn't ask him about his changing timeline, about his contradiction in this very interview where he claimed Adnan and he only hung out once or twice...only to go on later and talk about how much they smoked weed in Adnan's car. And who loans their car and cellphone to someone they aren't friends with and sells them weed???? That's ridiculous, they were friends and Jay continues to lie about that. 

Either way, the DNA results will give us actual facts instead of bad testimony and a bunch of speculation. I can't see how it would be possible for Adnan to have zero DNA evidence on Hae if he strangled her to death. Anyone strangled is going to fight, scratch, claw....do whatever it takes to get those hands off their neck and throat. That means skin flakes and blood under her nails, all over her clothes, etc,. If none of his DNA is present you can try and make the case that he wore gloves and thick clothing, but that doesn't make a conviction no matter how convinced one would be of his guilt. 

It would really suck if it turns out Adnan didn't do it, and the real killer has escaped judgment for the past 15 years. 

He comes across even worse in this one, I think.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/30/exclusive-jay-part-2/

If he's trying to clear his name, he's doing a terrible job of it.

I get the very distinct impression that when people said "Jay lies", what they really mean is he's one of these chronic exaggerators.  I know a guy that does this.  Embellishes all sorts of things, minor stuff, for no good reason at all.  I don't think he can help it, or even necessarily "knows" that he's doing it.  Jay's description of Sarah's visit to his house certainly has that feel, to me. 

make you wonder.  Maybe he goes from "he told me the body was in the trunk" to "I saw the body in the trunk" like it's nothing

cleardot.gif

What gets me when reading this is that he didn't want to talk to Koenig because he thought the only people that needed answers were Hae's parents and he wouldn't talk to just anyone about the case. Yet, here he is giving an interview talking about the case. This guy is a clown.

After his 2 interviews so far, I don't think he's done anything to clear his name. If anything, he's muddied it up even more. He's now admitted to lying to the police and lying during his testimony. Yet, we're supposed to believe him?

IMO, I think he and Jen may have been behind all of this. No idea why, but just my 2 cents.

After reading that stuff from Jay this week, I agree that he looks even worse that before. You'd think with all this time he would have practiced what to say if it even came back up. He's clearly smart. You can tell by the way he bested Adnan's lawyer when he was still a kid. But now......I don't know. Feels like he is lying.

Huh ... I guess I still got a different vibe than you guys. His explanations all make sense to me considering this happened 15 years ago, he was a scared 17 year old petty drug dealer trying not to drag others into it ... I don't know ... just doesn't strike me as someone who is lying or capable of the murder.

I can also understand his desire to avoid Koenig when she was making her rounds earlier this fall ... he had no idea what Serial was going to become and what it was going to do to his name ... but maybe I'm just naive.

Huh ... I guess I still got a different vibe than you guys. His explanations all make sense to me considering this happened 15 years ago, he was a scared 17 year old petty drug dealer trying not to drag others into it ... I don't know ... just doesn't strike me as someone who is lying or capable of the murder.

I can also understand his desire to avoid Koenig when she was making her rounds earlier this fall ... he had no idea what Serial was going to become and what it was going to do to his name ... but maybe I'm just naive.

I dunno. I think him talking now just makes it look worse for him.

I get not wanting to talk to Koenig about it when she came to him. But then why do the interviews now? If you wanted to stay out of it, why bring yourself right back into the picture doing these interviews? In another month or so, everyone would have forgotten and moved on. Now, he brings his name to the forefront and doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of making a case for himself.

Now yes, all this stuff happened almost 16 years ago so he might be a little shaky on details going back and remembering everything,. But he admitted he lied to the police about where the first time he saw Hae's body was. So what else could he have lied to them about at the time? Or maybe he isn't lying and was just coached by the police on what to say in his testimony which is why it's hard for him to recount everything since it was never his story to begin with?

You're naive.  :) But no seriously, once you start lying you've lost any credibility to be believed. Before he did this interview, before Koenig showed up at his front door, it was said by his peers that he was a liar. Not just one person, but mulitple people said he would lie constantly to prop himself up or to avoid blame. This person is the worst witness ever, and yet his sole, inaccurate testimony put a guy in jail for life. Could Adnan be guilty? Absolutely, but you should need more than a liar's word to convict. 

He has changed where Adnan showed him to body at so many times I've lost count. Now he claims he lied about that to protect his grandmother, since he claims it was really in front of his grandmother's house. Why didn't he just stick to the Best Buy version, instead of implicating his friend's house he once claimed it happened at? His justifications don't make sense. 

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/31/jay-speaks-part-3/

Part 3 is out.

I feel bad for Jay's family. I don't believe he was fired or let go because of this podcast though. I also don't agree with his take on the attempts to be interviewed. Yes, it was a long time ago. But for somebody so well spoken and obviously clever. I just think he is too inconsistent.

With Stephanie I get the impression it's just "the guy I knew would never..."

I put very little stock in such things. The neighbor of the serial killer (pun not intended) always says "he was such a nice young man..."

The brother of one of my good friends is doing time in ny, for dealing oxy and heroin, and he abused his daughter.

My friend knew he dealt in weed, but the other things?

And his friends said the same. "Great guy. His daughter was the world to him. He would never..."

But he did.

It's a lot harder than people realize to TRULY know people's demons. Even your good friends

Archived