Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsyahoo.com: (Update) RG3 is 'wild card' for Monday

MustangSteve

I'm loving reading the Colt McCoy stuff from Cleveland fans in 2012. (Kinda cool reading another miserable franchise. Misery loves company).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/colt-mccoy-says-there-was-no-competition-at-browns-camp/

I am kinda hoping to see McCoy play Monday Night, he now has the receivers to be productive, and who knows, he might put it to the Cowboys.

Here's my take on this:

If he's cleared by the doctor's this week and is healthy, can he get any healthier waiting another 3 weeks to play? 100% is 100%. If he can go, then just let him play this week.

What about the difference between being medically cleared and in football shape? Shouldn't he go through a few practices at full speed and fully healthy before jumping right back into game situations?

What about the difference between being medically cleared and in football shape? Shouldn't he go through a few practices at full speed and fully healthy before jumping right back into game situations?

That's what the rest of the week is for. Hasn't be been "practicing" the last couple of weeks? Maybe not full speed and getting all the reps, but he's been out there working with the team.

Isn't he going through the progressions right now? He's been jogging, planting, doign individual drills. By many accounts, this is no different than when Jackson was injured or Hatcher or Bowen. Remember Gruden saying he wanted Jackson to get all these reps, but Jackson just did individual drills in practice on Friday but wound up playing (well) against the Eagles?

Coming back from injury too early has never been RG3's strong suit.

Let him rest until at least the Tampa Game.

I want to see more Colt.

Other than the (second) knee injury, when has this hurt him? The knee injury at Baylor? The concussion? He has one botched knee injury, and you can even argue that him coming back against Baltimore and then against Phily and Dallas didn't hurt him. The only real problem he's had was when he didn't leave the game against Seattle and then rushing back in 2013.

Let's just wrap Griffin in bubble wrap and never play him. Then we can say he could have been one of the best of all time based on 2012. If he keeps getting hurt, it kind of answers the question of his viability as a qb, don't you think?

Start him for the Vikings. They're crappy enough that he may gain some confidence playing against them and feel good going into the bye (I'd probably bet on the opposite).

Well, outside of Sam Bradford, he's probably the only QB to have 3-4 separate injuries that have resulted in missed games since 2012. 

How many games has he missed? And how many Injuries?

The Knee, missed part of a game and the next start. Then half of a game. The Ankle. ?

Other QBs that have missed significant time since 2012?

Rodgers, Palmer, Roethlisberger, Cutler...Brady and Manning have missed entire seasons. 

Let's just wrap Griffin in bubble wrap and never play him. Then we can say he could have been one of the best of all time based on 2012. If he keeps getting hurt, it kind of answers the question of his viability as a qb, don't you think?

Start him for the Vikings. They're crappy enough that he may gain some confidence playing against them and feel good going into the bye (I'd probably bet on the opposite).

The confidence thing is ridiculous. The kid is plenty confident. He has a Heisman and a ROY. He is probably over confident if anything.

How many games has he missed? And how many Injuries?

The Knee, missed part of a game and the next start. Then half of a game. The Ankle. ?

Other QBs that have missed significant time since 2012?

Rodgers, Palmer, Roethlisberger, Cutler...Brady and Manning have missed entire seasons. 

The concussion in 2012 cost him part of a game. The original knee injury cost him a full start and of a game (as you mentioned). The second knee injury cost him part of a playoff game and arguably (based on Allen's comments this off-season) should have also cost him a few games to begin 2013. The ankle will end up costing him 5-6 games. 

That is 4 separate injuries (or 3 injuries with a big red "he came back too quickly") that he's had in the span of 2+ years. To me, that's not the makings of a very durable guy. Caution is a good thing since he and the team also have a track record of coming back a touch too quickly. 

We should wait until he is 100%. Then hold him out another 2 weeks. Then hold him out another two. Then bench him the rest of the year. He will surely be healed by next year. But maybe not mentally. Probably should sit him the first couple of weeks next year too. Just to make sure. Have to be careful. You know we brought him back too early from the knee injury. He really messed up that knee by starting week 1 last year. Can't even begin to explain all the damage that was done to the knee because he came back early. We have already been down this road. RG3 does not know when he is healthy. He doesn't know when he can play without reinjuring himself we already saw that last year. We let him come back too early once and look at the catastrophic results. 

That's why there is a medical staff. As soon as it is deemed that RGIII is 100% and gets enough reps in with the first team for a full week then we have to play him. He has to play in order to get better. Sitting on the bench for the year will only delay his development further.

No. Please do not play him this week.

Roberts issues are more than physical. I am far more worried about his mental status and the next decade than this week and his ankle. He needs a mental boost. 

We must put Robert in a situation for him to get his mojo back. This season is over. This game against the Cowboys doesn't mean anything. 

So, we have two options:

1) Bring him back in a situation perceived as "rushed" (doesn't matter if true, that will be the story) for a primetime game on the road against our arch rival who happens to be the of hottest team in the NFL right now.  A game we are most likely going to lose by a significant amount regardless if he plays or not. Getting blown out by 2+ tds is not the way to fix the mojo.

Or

2) We simply wait and he either plays the Vikings (2-5) or the Bucs (1-5) after the bye. Both games are very winnable and could give him the chance to build his confidence. 

The choice is simple.

Roberts issues are more than physical. I am far more worried about his mental status and the next decade than this week and his ankle. He needs a mental boost. 

Playing well against the Cowboys would be a nice mental boost. While they are winning, that defense is still not anything special. The only reason it hasn't really been exposed is because they have controlled the clock. They are bottom half in passing and rushing yardage. Only 6 sacks on the year. 

anybody think of Josh McCown when thinking about McCoy?? 

Started 27 games in 10 years and had 27 TD's with 44 Int's during that time ... gets in last year, starts 5 games and has 13 TD's and 1 INT. 

Sure he had Marshall and Jefferies, but I like Djax and Garcon man. 

Just saying, there's at least some precedence for Colt to come in and be decent. 

I don't get the comparison?  Why would I believe McCoy can do what McCown did last year??  Teams have to go to backup QBs every year and most don't play as well as the starter mostly because,..they're not as good.  They're backup QBs for a reason.

COULD he do well?  Sure,...I suppose.  I guess we'll see -- but my money is on he won't and we'll see Kirk again before RG3 is even back out there (hopefully after the bye week).  Hope I'm wrong.  I just don't think Colt can make the throws that RG3 or Kirk can.

Main thing Colt needs to be successfully in keeping the game close:

- The right side of the Oline not to cave in like it has been.

- A good running game.  Hopefully Alf can go off.

- The defense and specially teams to play well and give the Skins good field position.

- Last but not least -- DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER.

I don't get the comparison?  Why would I believe McCoy can do what McCown did last year??  Teams have to go to backup QBs every year and most don't play as well as the starter mostly because,..they're not as good.  They're backup QBs for a reason.

COULD he do well?  Sure,...I suppose.  I guess we'll see -- but my money is on he won't and we'll see Kirk again before RG3 is even back out there (hopefully after the bye week).  Hope I'm wrong.  I just don't think Colt can make the throws that RG3 or Kirk can.

Main thing Colt needs to be successfully in keeping the game close:

- The right side of the Oline not to cave in like it has been.

- A good running game.  Hopefully Alf can go off.

- The defense and specially teams to play well and give the Skins good field position.

I agree that it's a longshot that McCoy will play to McCown's level. Maybe the poster just liked the Mc similarity? However, I don't think it's likely Cousins will play again before Griffin returns. 

I never said that. It was just an observation on how the two differed in how they warmed up. And I'm still on the Griffin bandwagon if that matters.

You were just making an observation from what you saw in warm ups, a lot of people here need to calm down and not pounce on people over innocent comments.

I never said that. It was just an observation on how the two differed in how they warmed up. And I'm still on the Griffin bandwagon if that matters.

I thought it was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Actually just had someone tell me they saw him warming up before a game a couple of years ago and it looked like his ball had a tracer. Thought that was weird because I always considered him have a below average arm.

Just because Griffin is physically ready, the mental aspect, the reps, being in 'football shape', all play a huge and under-rated part that most don't think about.

This is a guy who we gave the farm for, and some want to send him out before he's fully 100% ready in all aspects. Him going out monday night will do nothing but make him look bad. He will most likely be way off on timing, normal gametime jitters will have him unusually amped up, and it makes a recipe for disaster.

Let Colt start, and if he doesn't do any good, send in Cousins.

I will say it is a bit ironic though, when Griffin struggled, the cries were 'he needs to go through some growing pains', but Cousins struggles and he's ready for the glue factory. In fact, IF Griffin does start, and he struggles, the very same echoes will be heard about him.

No wonder we go through so many QBs.

Very important. If it wasn't for turnovers and most of them were ridiculous such as throwing INTs directly to open DEFENDERs, we would have a much better record. I think we are a good team. We just need to take care of the ball.

give him a mental boost by benching him against a division rival when he's healthy.

Just because Griffin is physically ready, the mental aspect, the reps, being in 'football shape', all play a huge and under-rated part that most don't think about.

This is a guy who we gave the farm for, and some want to send him out before he's fully 100% ready in all aspects. Him going out monday night will do nothing but make him look bad. He will most likely be way off on timing, normal gametime jitters will have him unusually amped up, and it makes a recipe for disaster.

Let Colt start, and if he doesn't do any good, send in Cousins.

I will say it is a bit ironic though, when Griffin struggled, the cries were 'he needs to go through some growing pains', but Cousins struggles and he's ready for the glue factory. In fact, IF Griffin does start, and he struggles, the very same echoes will be heard about him.

No wonder we go through so many QBs.

Here is the thing though, how are we any better off than Colt. Saying all the reason Robert is not ready doesn't mean Colt is any better off.

This whole 100% ready stuff doesn't happen to other franchise QBs. It definitely would not happen when you're talking about a 3rd string QB who has had little time with the starters and almost no time during preseason.

If Robert comes in and struggles, who cares? When Robert comes in and doesn't struggle they still say he struggles. But he needs the reps, hes our best chance to win, and by all accounts he seems to be healthy enough to play.

Archived