Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 staying out of the limelight

AlldaySkins

I don't know if anyone saw and don't think it warrants a new topic but fits in here well, saw this that he wrote on his Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/RG3

Seems like he's still got that strong head on his shoulders and is ready to prove people wrong next season...

He does Pigskin. Just wait until next season, and thanks for posting this!

This statement from Robert should really be highlighted in a separate thread.  It is his most direct statement to date about all the bull**** that's been written about him.  

To me, it shows he's a team guy, despite what all the critics say.  

Edit: I'm not great with Facebook... I don't see the question or comment that he is responding to.  Can someone post that too?

If I had more likes, I'd like this a thousand times.

It's great that he wrote that but so much for staying out of the 'limelight'.  Doesn't his most recent statement go completely against that

Figures when I started a thread about him staying out of the "limelight", he gets right back in it. In his defense I don't think he thought it would be this big of a deal. Media does eat up everything somebody says especially when us fans crowned him the messiah last year. I just hope he is done for awhile now.

RG3's number one focus needs to be football - period.  Commercials and stuff are fine when the time is right.  But that will only bring more scrutiny and he needs to be able to handle it. 

RG3 needs to take time with his family as he is to enjoy the off season.  But he also needs to be in the coaches ears about getting the new playbook ASAP.  I'd like to see him go to a passing camp with the likes of Drew Brees or other well respecte coaches to improve his mechancis before OTA's start.  That way he can get right before hopefully planning another offseason with the receivers in Texas or some other location so they can build chemistry with the new offense to come to mini-camps ahead of the game.

If he keeps his eyes on the prize, head down, and mouth shut, he willl be just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO. His twitter feed is a little annoying. Enough with the motivational phrases.

If you find it annoying, then unfollow him on Twitter. I would rather see him throw out motivational phrases than put garbage on social media. A good majority of athletes use twitter and post meaningless things. I think it's refreshing that Griffin is so motivating.

No injury plus there are some serious compelling sports stories in 2014 compared to 2013.

1) The Seahawks dominant Superbowl win in an outdoor Superbowl

2) Hey look the Olympics just started and Sochi sucks

3) Is that spring training that is around the corner? 

4) Free agency! We may hear from Robert some here and since the team gets extra OTA's we will for sure here about him.

5) NCAA tourney time and the first month of baseball

6) Look the NFL draft is in May. Where is Johnny football going?

7) The biggest tournament in the world, the World Cup starts and its in Brazil!

8) Training camp time

2014 is a very compelling sports year. I don't expect we hear much from RG3

I'm not on twitter, but I love Robert's Facebook posts! He always keeps it positive and motivating. He gives us a glimpse into his life on a personal "human" level and doesn't come off as some big time super star or egotistical like other athletes.

Some of my favorite posts by him is the picture of him bonding with his mother while she braided his hair in the kitchen as he simply wrote, I'm paraphrasing "Mother and son time" or something to that effect.

He posts old highschool pictures with him having an afro jumping hurdles racing, he posts pictures of a friend of his dressed like michael jackson, and if he doesn't post pictures, it's simple statements of positive reflections. I love this guy.

He's very down to earth. Have you seen some of the garbage these other athletes post or tweet that gets reported on? All the smack talking? I pray that Robert has a phenomenal year this year and breaks records!

I find it humorous that RG3 is criticized for his high visability. Its a phenomenon that only gets attached to African Americans, particularly African American QBs. Robert is regularly the first person at the facility in the monring and the last to leave, besides coaches. Nobody questions his work ethic, not even the toxic coaches that were leaking that trash at the end of the year.

Did anybody talk about the profile of Joe Namath?-No, Dan Marino-No, Peyton Manning-No, Joe Montana-No, Ben Roethlisberger-No, Phillip Rivers-No

I'm not saying the people who would like to see him a little less are racist, but I'm certainly pointing out that there is a separate standard that RG3 and Cam Newton are being held to than those that came before them.

And before anybody says "Those guys are accomplished in the league" - I submit to you that none of them had the Rookie Season that RG3 had.  That is just code speak and a passifier for those that don't want to accept the double-standard.

Russel Wilson was not a media darling because he wasn't anticipated to be good, hense his draft status.  Andrew luck looks and sounds like an extra from the "Lord of the Rings."  He's not marketable.  Not for anything that he has to speak on or have his face next to.  EA put him in a video game commercial holding a controller and his clip was clipped out 1/2 through the season.

If you tell me RG3 is shooting commercials during the season and not putting forth his best effort on the field, then I accept he needs a lower profile.  Until then, the corporation that is RG3 would be best to maximize their earning potential.  Another shot to knee and his career could be over.  base don the Rookie Wage Scale, the Rookie of the year with top jersey sales in 2012 definitely made more for the Redskins than the peanuts he made.  Keep that in mind.

I am happy prior to Es because I read a story commenting on how nobody commented on the fact that Russell Wilson is the second black QB to win a Super Bowl, a victory in race relations. This is awesome, there are only QBs in the NFL now, not black and white.

Then I am sad because someone says that RG3 is only given a hard time because he is black.

No injury plus there are some serious compelling sports stories in 2014 compared to 2013.

1) The Seahawks dominant Superbowl win in an outdoor Superbowl

2) Hey look the Olympics just started and Sochi sucks

3) Is that spring training that is around the corner? 

4) Free agency! We may hear from Robert some here and since the team gets extra OTA's we will for sure here about him.

5) NCAA tourney time and the first month of baseball

6) Look the NFL draft is in May. Where is Johnny football going?

7) The biggest tournament in the world, the World Cup starts and its in Brazil!

8) Training camp time

2014 is a very compelling sports year. I don't expect we hear much from RG3

Other than the Olympics and World Cup, your other points happen every single off-season. There's always 15 compelling story lines to the Super Bowl (last year Ray-Ray won to ride off into the sunset AND the lights went out!) and high-profile guys coming out in the draft. Not to mention spring training, the NCAA tournament, and free agency are rituals as well. 

I think there is less focus on Griffin simply because he's coming off a crappy year and he's been swept under the proverbial rug. The other sports stories were there last year but his ROY season combined with how it ended (in a heap on the grass) were the deciding factors in him being in the public eye all off-season. 

I am happy prior to Es because I read a story commenting on how nobody commented on the fact that Russell Wilson is the second black QB to win a Super Bowl, a victory in race relations. This is awesome, there are only QBs in the NFL now, not black and white.

Then I am sad because someone says that RG3 is only given a hard time because he is black.

You must not read mainsteam media.  NFL.com has a story about Russell Wilson and Black Quarterbacks on the front page.  You may tell yourself there are only QBs in the NFL these days, but that doesn't make it true.  Robert, Russel, Cam, Kaepernick are all designated "athletic quarterbacks."  that's the substitute phrase for black quartber.  How do I know- Because Cutler moves quite well, Luck is deceptively agile, Flacco (dating all the way back to college days) moves quite will, Rich Gannon moved quite well, Alex Smith-moves quite well, Steve Young-Moved quite well.  When's the last time they were refered to as "the athletic QBs?"  I'll wait!

And- If my premise is incorrect, how do you explain the disparity between the flack Cam and RG3 get vs all the QB I listed that are/were equally "lime light guys?"  I see only one true difference betweent hem so educate me.

I was under the impression that the limelight is staying away from him due to his lactluster year. But saw him in a Subway commerical recently.

FYI, it would not be a bad thing for him to stay away from it for a while.

As I put in the first post, I don't really consider his Subway promos being in the limelight so much. Plus most of them have already been prerecorded along time ago. Of course having the lackluster year means less attention this offseason, but once training camps start we will see more press in the media covering him. He just needs to say the right things (I know media blows everything up), but say things that "they" can't take another way. Look at guys like Peyton and Rodgers for example when they do pressers.

As I put in the first post, I don't really consider his Subway promos being in the limelight so much. Plus most of them have already been prerecorded along time ago. Of course having the lackluster year means less attention this offseason, but once training camps start we will see more press in the media covering him. He just needs to say the right things (I know media blows everything up), but say things that "they" can't take another way. Look at guys like Peyton and Rodgers for example when they do pressers.

Rodgers calls out his players all the time. He is a good player and produces on the field so he is given the benefit of the doubt. There so much being made about this "limelight" discussion. 

I'll make it simple for you guys. If he plays well, none of this matters. If he doesn't play well, everything is poked and prodded in order to create a narrative. 

Living on a lighted stage

Approaches the unreal

For those who think and feel

In touch with some reality

Beyond the gilded cage

Cast in this unlikely role

Ill-equipped to act

With insufficient tact

One must put up barriers

To keep oneself intact

[Chorus:]

Living in the limelight

The universal dream

For those who wish to seem

Those who wish to be

Must put aside the alienation

Get on with the fascination

The real relation

The underlying theme

Living in a fish eye lens

Caught in the camera eye

I have no heart to lie

I can't pretend a stranger

Is a long-awaited friend

All the world's indeed a stage

And we are merely players

Performers and portrayers

Each another's audience

Outside the gilded cage

Fan since fetus you are living on another planet.  You are interjecting this term mobile QB.  The guys you name were mobile, that's my point, but none of them were dubbed athletic.  What does it mean to be mobile if not athletic.  You talk about naming  white QBs that can dart 50 yards,  If your initial comment about color being irrelevant what does that have to do with it.  My point is and will remain that there is a double standard. 

Kaepernick  is getting it too.  Wilson has been living in the Pacific North West (Enough Said).  EJ Manual is in Buffalo right? Second Sting QBs in large markets receive more attention than starters in Buffalo (K-Kirk Cousins anyone).

You brought up the Eli Manning forced trade from San Diego.  Not a sole blammed Archie Manning, yet RG2 enters the lockeroom after a game and medi is asking nationally if his dad is too hands on. 

You talk about homosexuality, toughness, immaturity, and Brett Favre-  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP is talking about whether RG3 should stay out of the limelight right?  Those arent limelight issues.  This thread ws people talking about media attention and visibility of RG3.  My point regarding race is applied to the double-standard around visability.  The QBs I illustrated were for visibility purposes.  These other things you are adding are to water-down the argument.  If you want to debate the merit of my argument stay on task.  Oh yeah, the points of my initial premise aren't really debatable because they are dead on.  "There Absolutely Exists A Double Standard When Visability Is Applied To African American QBs In The NFL." 

Im far from a race-baitor.  If you can comprehend, read my post again.  I clearly indicated that I don't believe the people who make the claim are racist, It's just clearly a double standard.  I thought Jimmy the Greek cemented his idiocy with his comments around athletic superiority based on race.  Then there was the question regarding white QBs and a 50-yard sprint...smh 

Right now the Seahawks are getting most of the media attention and Russell Wilson is the current media darling.  Imagine if Griffin went on the Jay Leno show and then to a NBA game with Jay-Z and Beyonce. The news articles would not be pretty (even if he had just won a SB)!

Once the season begins however it will be lights, camera, and action time whether we like it or not.  If you think about it Griffin is now the new school Tony Romo sits to pee as far as media coverage.  

A quarterback is a quarterback.  The position is the same no matter who is under center.  It's the system and skill of the athlete that drive the position.  Everyone the plays the position should be criticized equally.  There shouldn't be the double standards that exist.  I now know that Fan since Fetus doesn't know what he's talking about regarding athleticism and the QB position.  I have played on the basketball court with Joe Flacco when he was an undergrad at the UofD.  He is athletic as all get out.  Kid can jump his tail off and he can move up and down the court with the best of them.  You never hear he's an athletic QB.  POINT MADE.  Some people on these boards just talking because they have lips.  Wanna verify my information look at my profile, then head over to the Blue Hens message board and search Flacco.  I imagine there are several other "white QBs" just as athletic. 

I do recall some talk last season of Alex Smith challenging Kaepernick to a game of 1-on-one where Kaepernick declined and one of SFs linemen said it's because he knows Alex was gonna give him the business.  Still haven't heard "Athletic QB" used on Alex Smith either....Oh I forgot, its because he's mobile...smh  

Do the same barriers exist that prevent the access and success of African American QBs in todays NFL-No  Are there still differences in the way African American QBs are viewed than Caucasian QBs-Yes That is the point-That's why visibility (limelight) is even an issue with RG3.  RG3 works twice as hard at his craft than he does the media stuff, yet he's too visible.  What if he decreased his work ethic and his visibility at the same time.  Pulled a Jamarcus Russell or Heath Schuler and did the bare minimum.  Would that make him a better QB?  I think not, just as his visibility (limelight) doesn't diminish his QB ability now.  It's not about people being racist.  It's not about racial inferiority.   It's about all of them being judged by the way they execute the position.  A touch down is 6 points no matter what color you are, how fast you run, how hard you throw, or how far you throw.  A QBs job is to get his team touch downs.  Why does it even matter the manner by which he makes touch downs happen unless he's throwing them to the other team?  And why does it even matter how frequently you see the person in the media? 

Skins haven't had a franchise QB in 20 years, get one and the fans biggest concern is visibility.  Our fan base is acting like we have had the luxury of churning our great QBs like Green Bay of the Modern era, or SF from the 80s-90s.  Maybe RG3 is all over the media because Washington is one of the NFL's most historic franchises, DC is among the top 6 Media Markets, and the Redskins haven't had a single player worthy of major media attention since Darrell Green retired.

Archived