Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Br: What's Wrong With Rg3? Medical Experts Say He Needs More Time

MusicCitySkin

He has had 2 ACL repairs on the same knee. It would be foolish to play without the brace. Luck wears a brace. Manning wears a brace. It isn't the brace people. And that doesn't indicate he isn't "healthy".

But I said there's by choice and by necessity.  If I had to guess, I'd say Luck and Manning likely don't HAVE to wear it though.  If they took it off, wouldn't be a big deal.  It probably makes them more comfortable, which allows them to play freely.  I highly doubt RG3 has that luxury.  If he walks to the sideline and takes off that brace, Dr. Andrews is probably raising a stink immediately.  

I'd agree with Garcon that the brace isn't helping the situation as far as RG3's agility and speed.  If it didn't have an effect, then you'd see WRs and DBs running around with braces on.  Revis doesn't play with a brace.  

I disagree.  His knee ligaments are 100%.  Just not his confidence.  The ONLY way he gets his confidence back is being out on the field in real time game action.  If he were to sit out the entire season this whole process would start exactly where it is right now next year and we would be griping then.  Kirk Cousins would maybe get us a few more wins this season, though with our defense that may not be true.  But these games are rehab for RGIII.  Not knee rehab but mind rehab.

See I disagree slightly.  I continue to start RGIII, but in last weeks game when we were down so big in the mid to late third quarter by 4 tds having only one to our n ame... At that point, I think I would have brought RGIII aside and said, you fought well, but we don't want to see you get hurt in a game that's out of Control.  We're going to let Cousins have a chance to work some reps, but be ready to start next week.

Yes reporters would be all over that, asking why, but IMO in that game (more so than the Eagles game) there was no point to risk the Franchise guy on a comeback that had maybe less than a 4% chance of happening.

Interesting take by one of Griffin's biggest fans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9693891/skip-bayless-rgiii-shanahan

I am sick and tired of the almost daily ego clashing, blame deflecting and undermining. Enough of this only-in-Washington political football being coached by Mike Shanahan and played by Robert Griffin III. Please, no more forcing us to read between the he-said/he-said lines.

I'll make the lines I'm writing blatantly clear. Maybe you, Mike, and you, Robert, will read them. Maybe not. Maybe you two can heal an obviously damaged relationship (and season). Maybe not.

When I first started researching this column, I placed the majority of the blame on you, Coach. Now I'm heaping at least 50 percent on you, Robert -- and you know that no one in the national media has been a bigger supporter of yours than I have.

First I have heard that Shanahan wanted Tannehill and didn't like trading up. Perhaps Dan still has more power than we think. 

I thought the entire article was pretty fascinating. Whatever is going on (whether it's extremely minor or an actual rift) I kind of agree that they both need to shake it off and get on the same page. I hadn't heard the Tannehill thing either, but maybe he would have been happy with just Cousins?

I liked his outlook of the big, big picture and agree that we should continue to run an offense that optimizes what Griffin brings to the table. He's an outstanding athlete who also is a very good quarterback. I don't see why we have to force him to be a pocket QB in year 2. That is something that could (and should) evolve during off-seasons when he can play football instead of rehabbing.

I just thought it was a perfect summary.

I thought the entire article was pretty fascinating. Whatever is going on (whether it's extremely minor or an actual rift) I kind of agree that they both need to shake it off and get on the same page. I hadn't heard the Tannehill thing either, but maybe he would have been happy with just Cousins?

I liked his outlook of the big, big picture and agree that we should continue to run an offense that optimizes what Griffin brings to the table. He's an outstanding athlete who also is a very good quarterback. I don't see why we have to force him to be a pocket QB in year 2. That is something that could (and should) evolve during off-seasons when he can play football instead of rehabbing.

I just thought it was a perfect summary.

I didn't agree with all of it but for something Skip put out, it was definitely an interesting read. I agree thinking Griffin can be an amazing pocket passer but no reason to not take advantage of his legs. If he makes the right read it should be a pretty clean running lane with time to slide. 

I hope we can break some of it out against Detroit or even move the pocket around more. Anything to neutralize that DL of theirs. 

Us?  What about him and the coaching staff?  lol   We're allowed to think silly stuff like that, they should know better.

Who says they didn't know?

RG3 Needs to play to get into shape if you're reading and believing this article and other comments by players who have been through it and Doctors. So either you put him on the field now and he's rusty, or you put him on the field week 6 and he's rusty still. He needs to be here for as many games as he can, which is why it make sense if he's medically cleared to play from Week 1 on. 

Of course he and the coaches aren't going to say "well we have no shot competing with Robert back there, we just need to do it". They do have a shot at games, but they also know that in the long term they have to let him get his legs and head back under him. Starting Cousins, or having a defeated attitude isn't going to do anything good for the coaches, Robert, or the rest of the team. 

I think they're doing it the best way they can. He needs time playing in-game, at full speed against players out to hit him. Practice can simulate some elements, but not many that he needs to get comfortable with.

I don't believe Bayless when he says Shanahan wanted to stay at 6 and take Tannehill. Isn't Mike the player personnel director? Is he not the one that shops for groceries? Is he not the one that asked Snyder to step aside and give him full control? Bruce Allen doesn't do the drafting and neither does Snyder. Who is this "person" that overrode Shanahan's decision making? I call BS. No way was Mike outvoted for the most important decision this franchise has had in 20 years. He would have resigned. BS Bayless. Go gather some website hits elsewhere.

If playing is the only way he'll get back to form mentally, then why is everyone freaking out that he's playing?  Another option would be to leave have Cousins in the first half and Griffin in the second half.  He's pretty dang good in those second halves... :)

I brought that idea up earlier, being it makes good sense, especially if they want to bother contending for any NFCE title or playoff berth; there's nothing wrong with both getting some playing time. But, the cries of " oh, RGIII needs all the reps he can get, he will never get better that way". Hogwash.

Actually it creates a little competition, both QBs get some valuable playing time, the season could possibly be salvaged, and Cousins gets some time to showcase his skills, being most of these same people want to shovel him outta here asap.

Common sense is overtaken by ego, and thats what it boils down to; everyone is afraid of RGIII getting his feelings hurt so the eggshells make no noise as they are being walked on. RGIII, barring other problems, will be the starting QB, and everyone is onboard with that, but to put Cousins in would make too much sense, except for the mediots who would try their damnest to blow it out of proportion.

Meanwhile, 52 other players on the team want to win, even though they're not playing like it; if the last part of the puzzle to turn this around is RGIII, then tough choices need to be made; maybe not popular, but afterall, its a team game...

RGIII had a commercial out I believe "all in for week one" with Adidas.  This is where both Mike and Synder should have stepped in and had a serious talk to the young man.  Also many of us have said he should never have started this season, not until the bye.  But all the hype and talk made it essential he starts. Big mistake.  Andrews did say he is healthy but has reservations.  All this point to the fact that RGIII's ego cornered him and he had to be out there.

lets not forget also where GB and the Eagles D ranks.  They are just about the easiest Ds to play against.  I am afraid this is not over people, I think this will continue to be an issue at least until the bye, or so we can hope.

Now AP remember was totally average thru the first 6 games, so I do believe RGIII will get his feet under him by the 6th to 8th game.  By that time we might be 1-5 however.  personally I have already given up on this season and I pray RGIII plays it out and gets his old self back without any injuries.  next year with the cap back we might be ready.  

Its a team game.. If RG3 doesn't win this week I think something has to happen.  Do you throw away a season for one guy?  I wouldn't.  

Even if we lose, I'd be happy with RG3 showing some improvement but winning the game should always come first over any player.

I don't believe Bayless when he says Shanahan wanted to stay at 6 and take Tannehill. Isn't Mike the player personnel director? Is he not the one that shops for groceries? Is he not the one that asked Snyder to step aside and give him full control? Bruce Allen doesn't do the drafting and neither does Snyder. Who is this "person" that overrode Shanahan's decision making? I call BS. No way was Mike outvoted for the most important decision this franchise has had in 20 years. He would have resigned. BS Bayless. Go gather some website hits elsewhere.

But, no! It was a Redskins "insider"... a "trusted source" according to Bayless. Surely, that makes it true, right?

Lol, that paragraph had me cracking up. How utterly stupid. I feel bad for anyone who fell for that. Blatant misguidance. According to Bayless, Peyton Manning had no interest in our team as well. That has been thoroughly discredited and we found out later how surprised Peyton was when he learned we traded up to no. 2.

Annoying.    

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/acl-injuries-no-longer-spelling-doom-for-football-careers-1.5335284

another pretty good article, espically this part

Craig Levitz, chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Community Hospital, sat back in a chair in his Lynbrook
office. With his eyes closed, he reclined, lifted his leg and placed
his right foot flat against the wall. Had he undergone a recent ACL
reconstruction, he might not have been able to do that simple task.

"I can sense where my knee and foot
are in space,'' he said. "There are proprioceptors that live in the ACL,
but when you tear your ACL, they're gone. The reconstructed ACL has
nothing in it.''

Proprioception may be the most important word in returning from an ACL injury. It's the difference between Adrian Peterson and Bulls star point guard Derrick Rose,
who has yet to play in a game since tearing his ACL more than a year
ago. It is the sense of the relative position of neighboring parts of
the body and the effort needed to create movement. In other words, it is
what allows an athlete to feel like himself again.

The body must redevelop those fibers into the new ACL through repetitive activity.

"When you tear your ACL and you come
back, the game is too fast for you,'' Levitz said. "You're used to
seeing a guy [on the field] and your whole body goes that way before you
think about it. When you tear your ACL, you have to tell your leg to go
that way . . . The muscle loses all its memory when you tear an ACL.
You've made a baby again. So you have to teach it.''

Archived