Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Steph is off to a crazy start this season.  30+ points while shooting over .540.  Those are similar to his 15-16 numbers, which is the last time he averaged 20 shots a game and hit 50% or more.  Mind blowing efficiency when you consider that more than half his shot attempts (11) are/were from three. 

• Like 1

Stephen A Smith is the greatest Hot Taker in sports history.  He can argue a point against you in the most impassioned way with the most off the wall apples to oranges comparisons with perfect cadence in an argument that eventually resolves into a greater critique about America and society itself, and then at the end of his sermon, he'll throw it all away and agree with you based on some other lesser point.

His callers are amazing too.  True blue New York barbershop callers who don't seem to be in on any joke.  I'm pretty sure they're people who work on the show.

I can even listen to his ad bumps all day.  He can summon more passion and charisma for an ad about a free credit score checker than you'll find in most of the inaugural addresses in presidential history.

• Like 1

I bring this up because his defense of Jimmy Butler's antics today was incredible.  He initially argued that Jimmy Butler doesn't need to be traded from Minnesota because he, Stephen A, had never had thanksgiving dinner with his coworkers before (after he acknowledged each of them one by one by name) and that they'd never exchanged Christmas gifts, (although he did point out that he'd gotten them gifts before and they'd never gotten him a damn thing), and you don't have to like them in order to work together and that this is the problem with America today--"the kleenex tissuing of America"--where everyone has to get along and you shouldn't have to in order to go about your business and really it's Jimmy Butler's way of saying the rest of the team should be strong enough to handle the adversity (of him sabotaging them).

And then at the end of this five minute rant he conceded that, actually, you do have to trade Jimmy Butler because he said he doesn't want to be there.

:rofl89:

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Haha 1

Fultz is a PG.  I don't watch much college basketball (and wouldn't be surprised if I never saw Fultz play in college) so I don't comment on the draft picks much, but watching him play and reading a little about him from college, it is clear that he's a PG.  People can say 20-20 hindsight, but clearly, moving up and taking a guy #1 that is a PG when you need an off ball score that can create some was dumb. 

They drafted a round peg with the idea that it would fit a square hole (and paid a big price to do it).

I doubt he'll ever be comfortable off the ball and won't reach his potential if he's playing heavy minutes off the ball.  But he can absolutely grow into a top flight PG in the NBA.

Fultz looked like the second coming of Gilbert Arenas in college.  He's definitely an on-ball player and PG did feel like his most natural position.  I didn't realize Ben Simmons was going to be so ball dominant truth be told.  I thought he'd be more of a point forward than an actual point guard.

Fultz also changed when he left college and got to the NBA.  He had some sort of mental breakdown and he stopped being the guy he was at Washington.  He's a worse shooter now than he was two years ago.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fultz looked like the second coming of Gilbert Arenas in college.  He's definitely an on-ball player and PG did feel like his most natural position.  I didn't realize Ben Simmons was going to be so ball dominant truth be told.  I thought he'd be more of a point forward than an actual point guard.

Fultz also changed when he left college and got to the NBA.  He had some sort of mental breakdown and he stopped being the guy he was at Washington.  He's a worse shooter now than he was two years ago.

He clearly had some issues last year.  I'm not sure if it was mental or a shoulder injury or both, but I looked at some tape this week.  In college he had a low release, and even with that form, he was never going to be a pure NBA shooter.

His form actually looks better now than it did in college on most shots.  What he needs now is confidence and reps.  With his current shot, he's good enough to be a 35% 3 point shooter in the NBA, but he needs the confidence and that's where him playing PG is important.  He's so much better when he has the ball in his hand, and it comes from him being comfortable.  Tonight, the Sixers gave up a big lead in the 3rd quarter, but then with him playing PG, they were able to re-take the lead and get control of the game again.  He just plays with so much more confidence when has the ball.

And Simmons wants to play as a PG so if you tell him you are going to play him as a point forward, there are going to be problems.

Edited by PeterMP

This Celtics Bucks game is fun.  Not sure I’ve ever seen the Celtics shoot this many threes.  They have more made threes than made 2s, but somehow barely holding onto the lead.   

Edit: Just noticed the Kings scored 146 on Atlanta in regulation.  The Kings.  

Edited by Destino

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

This Celtics Bucks game is fun.  Not sure I’ve ever seen the Celtics shoot this many threes.  They have more made threes than made 2s, but somehow barely holding onto the lead.   

Is the NBA going to a model where it's all offense, very little defense?  I could get back into it in a bigger way if every game was like the All-Star game.  Nothing is worse than a 86-84 basketball game with constant trips to the free throw line and no offense.

34 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Is the NBA going to a model where it's all offense, very little defense?  I could get back into it in a bigger way if every game was like the All-Star game.  Nothing is worse than a 86-84 basketball game with constant trips to the free throw line and no offense.

If you like scoring this is the era for you. 

• Like 1

Warriors will score 200 on someone before they break up. 

Someone is going to piss them off or the planets are going to align and they just aren't going to pull them out.  And we're all going to look at each other like "what have we done?"  Klay, Curry, and KD are all capable of 50 on their own, all three do it same time they'll get the other 50 from the rest of the team, especially with a healthy Cousins.

Want offense? Cool, be careful what you wish for, though.

Milwaukee has the same issue they had last year.  They don't play off the ball perimeter defense well.  They help too much and are bad at closing out/rotating.  The other teams they've played this year either have just missed shots or don't have the shooters to take advantage of it. 

The Celtics have the shooters and didn't miss, but the Bucs are great at getting to the line.

8 hours ago, Destino said:

I haven't seen the Kings play, but they seem to be playing well.  Atlanta is awful.  When Love comes back, the Cavs will be better.

If the NBA wants to decrease the scoring all they have to do is tighten up the calls on perimeter players in terms of walks/carries.

Edited by PeterMP

5 hours ago, PeterMP said:

If the NBA wants to decrease the scoring all they have to do is tighten up the calls on perimeter players in terms of walks/carries.

Stan van gundy was on bomani jones podcast and said that the refs are calling too many fouls on guys trying to guard people and its making people play further off their man, allowing pace to increase across almost the entire league. Combine that with the 3pt explosion and you get crazy scores.

I think its gone too far, too quickly to be sustainable. I think the refs will gradually let the players play.

Edited by StillUnknown

38 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm ready to let hand-checking back into the game.  Why'd we get rid of it again?

Because it is ugly basketball that makes being a ref harder.  

When does a hand check become s push and a foul?

Just start calling some travels.  Limit people to 2 steps and scoring will go down.

Edited by PeterMP

My Wizards found the Redskins book on how to lose and underacheive and running with it like scissors.  I know everyone is going to say blow it up, you can't let the same people who built this roster and the one before it pick the next one and expect different results.

I expect crap for this, as usual, but 4 of 5 teams Ted owns went to finals of their league this year.  It's not like he doesn't have a working example, caps went through multiple coaches and changed GMs, but they never gave up on Ovi, they acknowledged what was around him needed to change.

I want to know how much influence Ted has on local coverage because I haven't heard the GM's name once since this game ended.  They are mad at the team only, pride? They took the clip board from the coach today.

Edited by Renegade7