Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired - Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?

Mad Mike

Short answer - no.

Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/08/does-marijuana-make-you-stupid/

In popular culture, all it takes is one hit from a bong before people become ridiculously dumb, unable to solve the simplest problems or utter a coherent sentence. Potheads eat a lot and laugh at stupid jokes. The larger worry, of course, is that such damage is enduring and that “smoking dope” permanently impedes learning and memory.

That, at least, has been the collective stereotype for decades. There’s even been some science to back it up, especially when the marijuana use begins at an early age. But now a different answer is beginning to emerge, thanks to an authoritative new study led by Robert Tait at the Australian National University.

Taken together, these studies demonstrate that popular stereotypes of marijuana users are unfair and untrue. While it’s definitely not a good idea to perform a cognitively demanding task (such as driving!) while stoned, smoking a joint probably also won’t lead to any measurable long-term deficits. The Dude, in other words, wasn’t dumb because he inhaled. He was dumb because he was The Dude. (All those White Russians probably didn’t help, either.)

Furthermore, there’s some intriguing evidence that marijuana can actually improve performance on some mental tests. A recent paper by scientists at University College, London looked at a phenomenon called semantic priming. This occurs when the activation of one word allows us to react more quickly to related words. For instance, the word “dog” might lead to decreased reaction times for “cat,” “pet” and “Lassie,” but won’t alter how quickly we react to “chair.”

Interestingly, the scientists found that marijuana seems to induce a state of hyper-priming, in which the reach of semantic priming extends to distantly related concepts. As a result, we hear “dog” and think of nouns that, in more sober circumstances, would seem rather disconnected, such as “leash” or “hair.” This state of hyper-priming helps explain why cannabis has been so often used as a creative fuel, as it seems to make the brain better at detecting those remote associations that lead to radically new ideas.

Interestingly making those "associations that lead to radically new ideas" can still lead to some crazy "put down the bong" ideas. But as the study shows, that's more a reflection of the intelligence of the person than the pot itself. An intelligent person will make intelligent associations. A less intelligent person... not so much.

And oh yeah.... LEGALIZE IT AMERICA! :D

And oh yeah.... LEGALIZE IT AMERICA! :D

Dude, it's only a matter of time. Yeah people have been saying that since the 70s but it's basically legal in California right now. One of their provisions for acquiring a medical license is "pain," which can mean almost anything. You can walk into a dispensary there and get bags of weed, joints, edibles, drinkables, and anything else weed related in the name of medicine. DC and some other states have legalized it medicinally just with stricter requirements.

Plus at least the last three Presidents have smoked weed before. People know more about it and eventually the lawmakers will be comprised of 90+ percent of people who have at least tried it, and probably a good portion of that who have done it regularly at some point in their lives. These days people talk about it more openly than ever before. I've heard people on the board at my company joke about it, my dad smokes it, I hear people talk about it on the train, etc.

IMO, it's only a matter of time.

Dude, it's only a matter of time. Yeah people have been saying that since the 70s but it's basically legal in California right now. One of their provisions for acquiring a medical license is "pain," which can mean almost anything. You can walk into a dispensary there and get bags of weed, joints, edibles, drinkables, and anything else weed related in the name of medicine.

Yep. And guess what. California still goes to work and does the high tech business it always did. Hasn't changed a thing.

What's more, the people staggering around like hobos, falling in gutters and getting into fights and making asses of themselves in California? Welp, it still is the drunks, same as it ever was.

Hey man, to each his own. I'd never touch that stuff.

That's a much better post than your first one.

Knowing that I'm getting my legal supply for 3 months delivered to my house and it's three different varieties that I chose out of a dozen is a very good thing. Talk about some fun shopping. :evilg: I look forward to the day when the rest of my peers, who choose to, can enjoy the same.

In the past when I've been baked I've been capable of the most profound thinking as well as the most idiotic, so personally it's a wash

it depends mostly on company IMO

but the idea of the non-functional, stupid stoner... is stereotype based on people that can't help but make a scene out of themselves... y'all would be amazed how many of the upstanding citizens in your community follow the creed. Teachers, lawyers, soldiers, shop keepers, landscapers, bankers, house wives, professional moms... etc

but the idea of the non-functional, stupid stoner... is stereotype based on people that can't help but make a scene out of themselves... y'all would be amazed how many of the upstanding citizens in your community follow the creed. Teachers, lawyers, soldiers, shop keepers, landscapers, bankers, house wives, professional moms... etc

And - especially - those hard working Silicon Valley engineers and code monkeys. Those guys work 18 hours on complicated tech stuff - and then light up like christmas trees to wind down.

When I smoke I definitely have more thoughts. Some more creative. So I don't think it makes you stupid at all. If you smoke everyday when you wake up, well yeah then you will become more lazy. Usually stoners have lazy personalities to begin with.

Although I just quit so...this Cali bud is too potent. I go extended period without smoking so now it's like a gigantic wave of THC hits me every time, regardless how many hits I take. Not a good feeling.

Marijuana make you lazy.

Another falsehood. I've known pot smokers who were the hardest working people you could ever meet. I'm talking business owners who get up at 5:00 am and work till 7:00 pm. Chances are everyone on this board knows smart, motivated, hardworking people who get high. And if you don't think so, it's probably just because they haven't told you they do.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 06:25 PM ----------

Sorry ... what was the question?

:rotflmao:

Another falsehood. I've known pot smokers who were the hardest working people you could ever meet. I'm talking business owners who get up at 5:00 am and work till 7:00 pm. Chances are everyone on this board knows smart, motivated, hardworking people who get high. And if you don't think so, it's probably just because they haven't told you they do.

I'm not passing judgment on it's affect on intelligence, but my experience is the opposite of yours. The heavy users were waste of space in high school and almost twenty years later have still yet to get on track.

Yes, but imagine how much earlier they would get up,how much later they would work and how much smarter, more motivated and hardworking they'd be if they DIDN'T get high.

I'm not passing judgment on it's affect on intelligence, but my experience is the opposite of yours. The heavy users were waste of space in high school and almost twenty years later have still yet to get on track.

You are confusing correlation with causation.

Lots of lazy people smoke marijuana. Marijuana does not make you lazy.

It's kind of like heavy use of blue eyeshadow. It does not turn high school girls into trailer trash, but it does a good job at identifying those who are. :)

Archived