Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Worst Redskins draft picks in Super Bowl era

Hitman21ST

NFL.com is putting out a series, listing the 5 best and worst draft picks in each team's history. They don't cover the Redskins until the 17th, so let's get our own list out there and see who we think makes what list. You don't have to list them in order.

A couple explanations: "Worst" doesn't have to mean "never played". It could be underacheived based on draft position, really any reason you want. Same with best.

Best:

• Darrell Green
  • Sean Taylor
  • Robert Griffin III
  • Art Monk
  • Dexter Manley

Honorable Mention:

• Charles Mann
  • Champ Bailey
  • Chris Samuels
  • Rob Jackson
  • Brian Mitchell
  • Stephen Davis

Worst:

• Heath Shuler
  • Michael Westbrook
  • Andre Johnson
  • Taylor Jacobs
  • Desmond Howard

Link to the Redskins draft history

Rob Jackson? Come on Hitman... even I am gonna laugh at that one.

But I like the honorable mention category aspect of it. 7th round pick who contributes like that.

Too bad Joe Jacoby was an UDFA. He is a shoe-in. I would add:

Best:

Bostic

Grimm

Stink (even though he left us).

Worst:

Kevin Barnes

Chad Rhinehardt

Teams are finding starters in the 3rd round and these two barely saw the field, when they did, they poo pooed it.

NFL.com is putting out a series, listing the 5 best and worst draft picks in each team's history. They don't cover the Redskins until the 17th, so let's get our own list out there and see who we think makes what list. You don't have to list them in order.

A couple explanations: "Worst" doesn't have to mean "never played". It could be underacheived based on draft position, really any reason you want. Same with best.

Best:

• Darrell Green
  • Sean Taylor
  • Robert Griffin III
  • Art Monk
  • Dexter Manley

Honorable Mention:

• Charles Mann
  • Champ Bailey
  • Chris Samuels
  • Rob Jackson
  • Brian Mitchell
  • Stephen Davis

Worst:

• Heath Shuler
  • Michael Westbrook
  • Andre Johnson
  • Taylor Jacobs
  • Desmond Howard

Link to the Redskins draft history

You put Westbrook and Jenkins there and don't put Walter Murray. No Wally Kleine?

---------- Post added April-8th-2013 at 03:14 PM ----------

Rob Jackson? Come on Hitman... even I am gonna laugh at that one.

But I like the honorable mention category aspect of it. 7th round pick who contributes like that.

Too bad Joe Jacoby was an UDFA. He is a shoe-in. I would add:

Best:

Bostic

Grimm

Stink (even though he left us).

Worst:

Kevin Barnes

Chad Rhinehardt

Teams are finding starters in the 3rd round and these two barely saw the field, when they did, they poo pooed it.

Didn't draft Bostic, got him off the NFL scrap heap.

Best 5:

- Darrell Green

- Russ Grimm

- Art Monk

- Robert Griffin III (early, but I think he's already there)

- Chris Hanburger

Worst 5:

- Michael Westbrook

- Heath Shuler

- Andre Johnson (tackle)

- Desmond Howard

- Kenard Lang

My worst is not logical, and not really reasonable. But for me, my miles and miles and mlles, it's Lavar. Not because he didn't play well, at times. He did. Heck, he even made the pro-bowl a few times. Because the guy was an absolutely athletic freak of nature.

No, he's my worst because of 2 reasons: 1: What he COULD have been. He could have been Ray Lewis. He had that talent. But he was lazy, didn't know the defense, and wouldn't play within a scheme. 2: Because of the overall distraction he became, both in his last years as well after he left. He couldn't get along with Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams or Joe Gibbs. The only guy he did get along with was Brother Schotty, who basically said, "do what you want, and we'll figure everything else around you..."

I'll admit, I am not in any way objective about this. The 'Skins would have been better off drafting Spot the Dog at #2 and Samuels at 3, in the long run.

Honorable Mension Worst: Colt Brennan. Just because of the absolute ridiculousness that it led to within the fan base.

I'm going to have to spend a little time with the list to come up with best/worst/HM.

EDIT: And by "Brother Schotty, I mean Marty's brother, who was the DC, and I can't for the life of me remember his name, and I don't have time to look it up...

W H A T ??!!??!!

No 'Captain Checkdown'?

Jason Campbell belongs on the worst list like cheese belongs to ham, mustard to a hot dog, ham to the burger [ Friday moment ] !

JC was a failure as a pick, even though we all thought he'd be decent or maybe even good.

OUCH, my head hurts thinking about it...

Considering all the other QBs we could list instead of Campbell, I'm not surprised he doesn't pop to mind first. Shuler and Ramsey should be listed before Campbell.

Archived