Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 Salary Cap (Check OP for Updates)

rick7423

There has been much talk about getting players from both FA and also the draft to fill areas of need going into the 2013 season. In order to do this, the Skins will need to do some fancy footwork to restructure existing deals, or cut where necessary in order to get into a position where they can financially supplement the team’s needs. This thread is for all things salary cap (just NOT the $18M cap hit)!

As most already know, the Skins have the $18M cap hit to absorb again this year. Last year the NFL team salary cap was $120.6M, this year it stays essentially the same with a slight $300K bump to $120.9M (per: John Clayton: Cap Carryover). This static NFL Team salary cap will hit hard throughout the league this year. So, this year the Skins will have 120.9M - 18M = $102.9M as their cap limit.

The salary cap slightly increased to $120.6 million from $120.37 last season. Several team management officials said it's not projected to jump much in 2013, prompting one general manager to say there could be "carnage" for some big-contract players – Nnamdi Asomugha, for example -- after next season.

(per: NFL.COM: 2013 Cap Predictions June 2012).

Currently, the Washington Redskins are $4M over the 2013 salary cap before any of the Skins FA/UFA is resigned (ref: http://www.thehogs.net/washington-redskins/salary.php . This means that many of the existing contracts will need to be renegotiated, or worse.

The intent of this thread is NOT to discuss the $18M cap hit, which can be done myriad of threads already in the stadium. Please keep all of that talk in the those threads, not here!

Also, there is mention of the salary cap issue in the open thread http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?378632-The-Ultimate-2013-Washington-Redskins-Free-Agency-Database-Top-Targets-Rumors-Signings-Coaching-News-%28Danny-Smith-signed-by-Steelers%29-and-Cap-Space-Tracker.-OP-will-be-updated.-Signed-Futures-list-on-OP-DE-Phillip-Merling-signed! but the cap issue gets buried in all the other FA talk.

Reference that thread for the following links: According to John Clayton, we will carry over about $4mil of 2012 money into 2013. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

And our friends over at thehogs.net have us carrying over about $4mil as well. Great work by them at this link: http://www.thehogs.net/washington-redskins/salary.php (UNRELIABLE)

So, there you go, go for it!

3 outstanding links for the current (up to date) salary cap space (as of 3/27/2013) :

NFL.Com Skins: $3,293,949

Sportrac Skins: ~$3.36M

Over the Cap Skins: $2,976,031

you could do a lot with backloading, but honestly I don't necessarily think we will be going quantity over quality

Signing CB Sean Smith, FS Glover Quin, and RT Ryan Harris is not as unrealistic as many here claim it to be

Especially considering that Fletch is done after next year no matter what, Wilson is an FA after 2013, no 1st round pick to pay this year or next

Im not trying to say who to sign I was just using those 3 guys as an example

Hopefully not many.

We need to continue to draft and use FA wisely.

8 million is a nice figure to keep us at bay from signing crazy.

I agree with Chip,

In some ways, the cap restrictions may be a blessing in disguise for a franchise that's had issues with spending.

I see where you are coming from, but who have we overpaid for since Shanny and Allen was in charge?

Wow, that's a good piece of info that answered some of my questions/concerns. I've heard talks of D.Hall willing to restructure and I am sure Moss would too. Maybe it works outs good that we don't have a lot of draft picks in the lower rounds..

Thanks for putting the info out there OP

I agree with Chip,

In some ways, the cap restrictions may be a blessing in disguise for a franchise that's had issues with spending.

I Disagree, the money we can spend is an asset no matter what. Our issues weren't with spending, it was who we were spending it on. If Bruce Smith and Primtime were say 26 when we signed them to those contracts they would have been great. But not when they are 30+ years old and to monster contracts

Signing 30+ year old guys isn't bad either but it can't be a huge contract (mainly with years)

I agree with Chip,

You need to remember, Vinny's gone. I have full trust in our FO to do the right thing no matter how much cap space we have. Just think about how much better we would've been had we not been hit last offseason, yet we still were able to sign Garcon and Morgan. Two players were made an immediate impact last year.

I am a firm believer that the cap hits have been a blessing. We are doing things right for once, our front office was prepared to sign a lot of FA's this past offseason.

We need to continue to build.

I think you're dead wrong. If you don't trust the people running the team now with money to execute their plans, then give up, its over. They aren't going to be the ones to turn this around if what you say is true.

I am a firm believer that the cap hits have been a blessing. We are doing things right for once, our front office was prepared to sign a lot of FA's this past offseason.

We need to continue to build.

Although I think as authentic said we were going to be more controled with the current FO regardless but the cap hit definitely forced us to change our ways from the past. So I think its fair to say it is a "blessing". Mind as well right, its not like we are going to be able to change it. It is what it is so lets just keep it positive.

I Disagree, the money we can spend is an asset no matter what. Our issues weren't with spending, it was who we were spending it on. If Bruce Smith and Primtime were say 26 when we signed them to those contracts they would have been great. But not when they are 30+ years old and to monster contracts

Signing 30+ year old guys isn't bad either but it can't be a huge contract (mainly with years)

I agree with this and add in the type of player that fits the scheme. While a 26 year old Deion would be nice, does he fit the type of defense we want to run? Bruce Smith was primarily a 3-4 DE, but we ran a 4-3 at the time. Why would you sign the guy at 26 to be a 4-3 DE when he plays in the 3-4? That has been just as big an issue as the money given out as you said above.

I agree with this and add in the type of player that fits the scheme. While a 26 year old Deion would be nice, does he fit the type of defense we want to run? Bruce Smith was primarily a 3-4 DE, but we ran a 4-3 at the time. Why would you sign the guy at 26 to be a 4-3 DE when he plays in the 3-4? That has been just as big an issue as the money given out as you said above.

agreed. our left DE goes on IR so we trade a 2nd to bring in a right DE. Just makes no sense.

Thanks for the links OP. This is one part of football that I really struggle to understand and a complete explaination is hard to find.

I don't think he'll mind if I say that the OP was concerned that he might not do a "good enough job" to start a new thread focused on just this, for this year. These responses should give him some confidence and I think his care for how he contributes to the quality of the board is praiseworthy. ;:)

Yeah we should be carrying over around 4M to off set whatever we are currently over right now. Once its all said and done we'll have somewhere around 8 million in cap room if we restructure

How are we saving about 8 million through restructuring? I thought I read something about us having very few restructure-able contracts?

Anyways, unless we do some wheeling and dealing, we'll need about 3.4 million for our rookies from the 2013 draft picks. Does not leave us much room to re-sign our own guys.

How are we saving about 8 million through restructuring? I thought I read something about us having very few restructure-able contracts?

Anyways, unless we do some wheeling and dealing, we'll need about 3.4 million for our rookies from the 2013 draft picks. Does not leave us much room to re-sign our own guys.

Cutting DHall alone saves 7.5 Million IIRC

So if;

D-Hall restructures that will save us $____

and Moss restructures __________

and we carry over $4M in savings that will leave us $______

then we need to sign Freddie-D for $___________

and Lorenzo for $________

Darrel Young $_____

L.Paulsen $______

Polumbus $_________

Lichtensteiger$______

R.Jackson$_______

Kehl $______

C.Griffin $_________

C.Baker$__________

Rocca$__________

and a mid-level FS for $______

and an upgrade at RT for $______

and $______ to sign our draft picks.......

and all of that will leave us $__________over or under the cap, so we can ______________.

I'm sure there are lots of blanks I left out of the above scenario, but can one of you cap smart people give us at least a starting point???

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

I don't think he'll mind if I say that the OP was concerned that he might not do a "good enough job" to start a new thread focused on just this, for this year. These responses should give him some confidence and I think his care for how he contributes to the quality of the board is praiseworthy. ;:)

Agreed. I love threads like these. Very educational for those of us wondering what happens in the dark, smoke filled rooms of the salary cap speak easys.

Archived