Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tim Tebow = Jim Jensen = A Great Fit For Redskins

kleese

Someone had to bring it up (again).....But please read my reasoning and comparisons before calling me a nutjob.

I believe in copying philopshies that are proven over time. I beleive Sam Presti (GM of OKC Thunder) is the best executive in sports. He cut his teeth in the front office of the Spurs. His philosophy is to gather talent regardless of "fit" or "scheme."

The year he drafted Durant, he also drafted Jeff Green... Who pretty much was a poor man's KD and played a similar role. But he was the best player available. Two and a half years later, after Green proved to be a solid player, Presti traded Green for Kendrick Perkins. He also drafted Russell Westbrook to play point guard when others thought Westbrook was too raw to even be a lottery pick. Then he drafted James Harden who people thought was redundant with Westbrook.

Point being... Acquire the best players you can and figure it out from there.

Tim Tebow is a very talented football player. He isn't a QB in the NFL, but he has a good mix of size, speed, and has versatile abilities. I guarantee you that Tebow is a more gifted football player than the vast majority of middle round picks in this upcoming draft.

For you old timers like me.... Remember Jim Jensen of the Dolphins? He wore #11 because he was drafted as a QB... He wasn't good enough to be a QB in the NFL and once they drafted Marino, he was obviously totally unnecessary at that position. But the Dolphins saw how talented he was and over the next 11 years used his talents to make their offense more dynamic. He played RB, HB, FB, TE, WR, and on special teams. He was hard to prepare for because he did so many things. He was also a little bit of a threat to throw it when he had it in the backfield.

Tebow is Jensen 2.0. He is gifted and strong enough that if he committed to it, could easily line up as an HB or TE, catch the ball out of the backfield, block, etc...

Kyle S is great at utilizing the talents of his players... I beleive that if he could get Tebow to buy in, the Redskins could land themselves a very valuable piece for almost nothing.

--Tebow was embarrassed by the Jets this year. They were idiots. The offense sucked so bad that having a "change of pace" didn't matter... They had no pace to change. Tebow should be highly motivated after the debacle with the Jets. If he is willing to go somehwre where he won't even be listed as a QB, I think he could be great here.

--Assuming it was made clear when he came here that he wasn't here to play QB, there would be no circus or controversy. No one would insinuate that he should play QB over RG3 or Cousins. He could be an emergency QB I guess, but I want to make it clear that I want him here to play a different role. If he goes to a crap team, there will always be that lingering "should they give Tebow a shot" media speculation. On a good team, he can just fulfill a role. On a team like the Jags, the 8-10 big plays he can make in a season really won't matter. In a place like DC, where we are already close, it could make a difference.

I want Tebow. I'd be willing to trade a middle/late round pick so he doesn't hit the open market. He is a great fit for what we have rolling here.

I think Tebow was humiliated by the Jets... And there is no proof that he "asked out" of the wildcat packages. If Kyle and Mike called him and told them how they planned to use him and he said "no thanks," then I absolutely would not press it.... No reason to bring him in to do something he doesn't want to do.

But I think Tebow wants to play football. An if our sales pitch is good enough, I think he'd be likely to accept it.

Not making a move because you fear the media reaction is a horrible reason to not do something. Again, if we are a good team and Tebow is helping us, no one is going to suggest that he should suddenly play QB. The Jets were clueless and brought him in to a horrible offense and then never played him. The team was a joke and his presence added to the circus. That wouldn't be the case here.

I hated Jim Jensen.

And as many have pointed out here, apparently Tebow has no interest in playing a role similar to what Jensen played. If Tebow just wanted to play football, he would have found his way to the field at some point last year. Like you say, there is no proof that he "asked out" of the wildcat packages, but there is also no proof that he was humiliated last year. There is plenty of smoke that he thinks he is a QB and wants to play QB. I don't think it is worth the hassle, regardless of whether he accepts another role. I think in his mind, he is always going to be a quarterback, and I don't think this team, as it is currently constructed would entertain signing him. Maybe a few years ago.

Your a nut job :evilg:

Seriously if Tebow would convert to a FB/HB role he would be a heck of a player. I just don't see him wanting to give up on being a QB even part time.

that would be the key point.

Only way the Redskins would even consider him would be if Tebow gives up his desire to a QB in this league...

Tebow in the read option player as a FB or TE would be great but he wont be so great as a QB running the read option...

I can see your point but I don't think he's worth the circus that follows him. Most successful organizations in the NFL generally stay out of the headlines.

I think Shanny and the team had their fill of media spotlight during the whole Haynesworth saga.

I hated Jim Jensen.

And as many have pointed out here, apparently Tebow has no interest in playing a role similar to what Jensen played. If Tebow just wanted to play football, he would have found his way to the field at some point last year. Like you say, there is no proof that he "asked out" of the wildcat packages, but there is also no proof that he was humiliated last year. There is plenty of smoke that he thinks he is a QB and wants to play QB. I don't think it is worth the hassle, regardless of whether he accepts another role. I think in his mind, he is always going to be a quarterback, and I don't think this team, as it is currently constructed would entertain signing him. Maybe a few years ago.

No, a few years ago it would have been a disaster because we were desperate and would have asked him to do too much.

Now, we are good and can afford a "luxury" like Tebow.

Tebow will only be good on a team that is already good. He will be a disaster on a team desperately trying to be relevant.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2013 at 03:48 PM ----------

I can see your point but I don't think he's worth the circus that follows him. Most successful organizations in the NFL generally stay out of the headlines.

I think Shanny and the team had their fill of media spotlight during the whole Haynesworth saga.

Might be a little annoying right after we make the move and/or in camp. But if he is playing FB/TE/HB, doing well, and the offense is doing well, there will be no circus. The "circus" stems from people proposing the notion that he should play QB.... It gets worse if the team struggles. No one in their right mind (even an attention seeking media member) would suggest Tebow replaces RG3.

Might be a little annoying right after we make the move and/or in camp. But if he is playing FB/TE/HB, doing well, and the offense is doing well, there will be no circus. The "circus" stems from people proposing the notion that he should play QB.... It gets worse if the team struggles. No one in their right mind (even an attention seeking media member) would suggest Tebow replaces RG3.

While I think the idea of having a multi-faceted threat that can line up wide or come out of the backfield would be a great addition to this team, I don't think Tebow is the answer. He would attract a great deal of unnecessary media attention and has already made it clear that he wants to be utilized specifically as a QB. It would only serve to add controversy to our team.

We can address these needs in the draft. Don't get Tebow. He's a really nice, high-character guy with a great work ethic, but he just doesn't belong in Washington.

Archived