Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES "Hogettes" Appreciation Thread (per story of group disbanding)

Jumbo

Post your memories, love, pictures, and other thoughts for and about these iconic Redskins fans, a group whom our own pez was asked to join, and their tireless work for charity.

I felt we should have a specific "appreciation" thread beyond the discussion of the story-breaking thread.

I will repost my first thoughts:

I will miss them. They weren't around the first 20 years of my being a Redskins fan, but they came to feel like an "always and inseparable" part of the team to me. Living on he west coast most of my life, they were (and are) actually more iconic and recognized (by far IME) than even Chief Zee (also beloved).

I was thrilled to see pez become one of these figures of such legend not to just Redskins fans, but to at least two generations of NFL fans everywhere. These guys are some kind of fans. :)

I think it would be great if there was a passing of the baton with awesome dudes like pez (and I'm sure others are out there) who would continue the tradition. But I can understand any sense of loving ownership the originals may feel and the importance to them of their legacy and a desire to make sure it never becomes other than what it is---if they close now, they know what kind of memories their creation leaves behind.

If it is a tradition that's time has passed for the people, so be it, but I hope otherwise. If it is so, I hope another new tradition can step forward and that all the great charity work they do will not simply be removed from that area.

And a post of Huly's from the other thread

I tried to not post here. As Pez said we have heard this might happen but we have been hoping they would let the younger generation take the reigns. They do so much for Redskins Nation, our communities etc this is a major loss across the board. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. One of the main reasons I decided on being a Redskins fan was not only the football team (remember I do not know the glory years) but the Redskins family and the super fans. What they stand for what they do etc. It is sad that children will not have these Redskins Super Fans to look up to, get photos with etc. The game day expierance with out a pig pen will be like missing part of my Redskins Family. I understand with over 100 charity events, the football season etc, why they might decide to do this but honestly my heart is crushed at the same time. I feel like I lost not onlypart of my family but we are losing Redskins legends, history and tradition.

And a post from pez of some of one Hogette's thoughts:

Per a posting by Dan (Danoette)

I just wanted to say what an HONOR it’s been to have been a small part of something so special! As with all good things, this too must come to an end. I have spent time this morning reading posts, texts, emails, and news stories of congratulations and thank you’s. While it was fun to wear the getup and cheer for the Skins, it was never about that for me. I can root for the Skins (as I plan to do) without wearing a dress! It was for me about the relationships we built and the many wonderful people we met along the way. While reading some of the comments it’s understandable to see why some feel that we are old and outdated. So let me share a story that I think best exemplifies what is was to be a Hogette. We were in Dallas for a Monday Night game; we flew in on Friday night and visited two area Children’s Hospitals on Saturday. I remember at the first hospital we were briefed to not ask the kids what was wrong with them, as they really didn’t know and not to ask when they were going home, because most of them (unfortunately) weren’t. We visited with many kids and their parents (it was quite sad). That evening we did a fundraiser with the B&G Club in Dallas and gave to money to the two hospitals and enjoyed a great comeback win by the Skins on Monday Night! The next year at the Dallas game a young couple came up to me and asked me to sign a ball they had, no other signatures where on the ball. Then they asked me if I remembered them from last year at Children’s Hospital where I had visited with them and their daughter, sadly having visited with many kids, I didn’t. I asked the natural question, how is your daughter doing? They said she passed away 6 months ago. I was at a loss for word. They ended up comforting me, sharing a story how we had made their daughter laugh and she talked about us for weeks…so they wanted a ball signed by us. My hope and prayer is that along the way we made a difference and that our legacy will reflect it. God Bless!!

Never had the pleasure of meeting these great men, and fans but even as a young fan I know how important they are. Not only have they been an institution at skins games for three decades but the work they do in the community is incredible. Sad to see them go but the work they've done will, and should live on forever!

It's a sad day, but really, a happy one as well. These guys as a group, founding members and new members, have meant a ton to our fanbase. And, perhaps in the future they will come together for "special" events and grace FedEx Field with their presence again.

But what these guys did can't be remembered just by a bunch of grown men wearing dresses and putting awesome hats and pig noses on... Although that's the funniest part :ols:

Thank you for everything you did, Hogettes.

These are awesome, H! There are many 'skins fans like me, to whom the east coast is a relative stranger. Folks like you and pez do an unrecognized and major service to us distant 'skins who feel more connected through you guys sharing all that goes on "out there." :).

These are awesome, H! There are many 'skins fans like me, to whom the east coast is a relative stranger. Folks like you and pez do an unrecognized and major service to us distant 'skins who feel more connected through you guys sharing all that goes on "out there." :).

Thanks! We try to keep everyone up to date. :)

I'm one of the rare long time fans of the Redskins, (34 years and counting) who has never been to the D.C. area. However, I remember as a kid laughing at this group of men in dresses and being even happier to be a fan of the Redskins. Now as an adult who is closing in on 40, I remember back fondly of seeing the Hogettes cheering on the Redskins, seeing them hanging out with fans, especially children. My favorite moment was probably (and I can not remember which one) was a credit card commercial. They were in a dress shop and one comes out and says, "Does this dress make me look fat?" which a reply from another was simply, "YES!"

The ability to have fun while making fun of yourself has always been a huge reason I've loved the Hogettes and will always appreciate what they have meant to me as a fan.

Thanks to all of you.

Symbol a.k.a. Ken

Thanks for the link....

:( This is such sad news. I know everything must end at some point but damn.....why the Hogettes? I remember my Dad coming home after a long day at work with a hog nose and a Redskin cap for me.....I guess it was 1983, '84. Hail to the glory years.

Never had the pleasure of meeting these great men, and fans but even as a young fan I know how important they are. Not only have they been an institution at skins games for three decades but the work they do in the community is incredible. Sad to see them go but the work they've done will, and should live on forever!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't live in DC anymore. I have have been watching games since I was a kid and seeing the Hogettes on TV during the games has always been like spotting dear old friends! You will be missed!

Amazing all the things they have done over the years to support children's causes. It is like a Washington Institution is at it's end and It is hard for me to imagine a Skins game without the Hogettes. I think it will be a difficult transition for us die hard fans knowing they are gone. I am thankful that Pez (super nice guy) at least was a part of it. Thank you Hogettes for your support and loyalty to the team but more importantly all you have done in the communities you have visited. HTTR!

Thank you Hogettes for all the good things you have done both for Redskins fans and the community in general! Nothing but love for you guys :)

This disbanding news is really sad for me. :( Ever since I was little, I've always enjoyed seeing the Hogettes in the stands at all games when I watched on TV. We dressed my 6'2" dad up as a Hogette one time (can't find the picture) for a playoff game we watched at a family friend's house here in California. He looked hilarious! So, I have incredibly fond memories of all things Hogette.

Anyway, thank you again for everything guys. You're great :)

Thanks! We try to keep everyone up to date. :)

Well, you've done a wonderful job. I was born and raised on the west coast and even though I don't comment on a lot of your pictures, welcome home threads, and all your other Redskins-support threads, whenever I look/read through them, I definitely feel more connected to the fan base. So thank you :)

... My favorite moment was probably (and I can not remember which one) was a credit card commercial. They were in a dress shop and one comes out and says, "Does this dress make me look fat?" which a reply from another was simply, "YES!" ...

Thanks to all of you.

Symbol a.k.a. Ken

I share your thoughts and feelings on this Ken, and if I could expand on it a bit by sharing my favorite Hogette's memory.. It was in the earlier days of FedEx field and this commercial was being aired fairly regularly. My wife and I were able to obtain some tickets to a game, which unbeknownst to us where near the Pig Pen.

We arrived at our seats and were thrilled to see some of the Hogettes, so we went up to them and introduced ourselves. These guys were great! They had their own Hogettes trading cards on hand, signed them and gave them to us.

While waiting for an autograph, one of them looked at my Riggins jersey and said "NICE Jersey" I said "Thanks!.. does it make me look fat?" to which they all replied "YES"!

So thank you Hogettes for making one fan's trip to the game "Priceless".

Archived