Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rob Jackson's Worth

haildc

He is a starting OLB.

He is not a back up.

Orakpo is a pass rusher. Jackson is a Linebacker. He needs to be paid. I say we give him a 3 year $6 to $7 mil range. Let Golston walk and give him that money. We can make it work.

EDIT: If last night didn't prove to the Orakpo homers that Rob Jackson is a better football player, I'm moving on from the conversation. The kid is a baller and he makes big plays on the big stage where Orakpo dissappears. End of discussion for me.

He is a starting OLB.

He is not a back up.

Orakpo is a pass rusher. Jackson is a Linebacker. He needs to be paid. I say we give him a 3 year $6 to $7 mil range. Let Golston walk and give him that money. We can make it work.

EDIT: If last night didn't prove to the Orakpo homers that Rob Jackson is a better football player, I'm moving on from the conversation. The kid is a baller and he makes big plays on the big stage where Orakpo dissappears. End of discussion for me.

I feel you. I wonder if there is a way we can have both start next year. Would love to see Rak, Jackson, Kerrigan and Fletch play. Rotate in Riley/Zo.

We have to keep Rob Jackson. We don't have enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to let players like Rob walk out.

I'm confident we'll hold onto him though, he's proven to be a huge asset to this team. We need him, Kerrigan AND Orakpo next season.

And the overvaluing of Jackson has begun.

Hey, I like the guy and I think he's done a good job filling in for Orakpo. But Orakpo is what makes our pass rush go. Right now, we HAVE to blitz to have a conistent pass rush, and good teams will find a way to beat that, particularly with the relatively weak secondary we have.

As for the "Well, he can cover", do you think Cowboys fans worry if Ware can cover? To be honest, you want your pass rushers to rush the passer most of the time.

I'd love to bring back Jackson. At the same time, have a realistic view as to how he fits into this team and what is value is to this team. We've gotten in trouble in the past for overvaluing some players (and yes, undervaluing some others.)

Hey, I like the guy and I think he's done a good job filling in for Orakpo. But Orakpo is what makes our pass rush go. Right now, we HAVE to blitz to have a conistent pass rush, and good teams will find a way to beat that, particularly with the relatively weak secondary we have.

As for the "Well, he can cover", do you think Cowboys fans worry if Ware can cover? To be honest, you want your pass rushers to rush the passer most of the time.

I'd love to bring back Jackson. At the same time, have a realistic view as to how he fits into this team and what is value is to this team. We've gotten in trouble in the past for overvaluing some players (and yes, undervaluing some others.)

He sets the edge, he can tackle in the open field, he can cover, and when he's ALLOWED to rush the passer, he can get home.

People fail to realize how few opportunities Rob gets to rush the passer. It's almost always Kerrigan and Zo. But Jax has 4.5 sacks this year?

Come on man. Get over yourself. He's been balling all season long and is only getting better.

BTW... LL tweeted last week that he is the #1 rated OLB in the NFL in coverage. Over value that.

He is a starting OLB.

He is not a back up.

When exactly has Orakpo had a chance to play on a big stage?

I don't see anyone here suggesting that we should get rid of Orakpo in order to keep Jackson.

But overvaluing? In his first year as a starter (in 14 games), Jackson has 4 picks and 7 pass deflections. Orakpo's ability as a pass rusher aside, he's been mediocre as a coverage linebacker. Coverage ability in a linebacker is NOT something to be taken lightly. We need to keep Jackson here, and maximize our defense's potential by using him, Kerrigan and Orakpo all together.

Jackson has done an admirable job filling in for Orakpo but if you think he's better, you're nuts. Orakpo would've had over double digit sacks this year and that probably means Kerrigan would have too... That much maligned secondary wouldn't have given up all those yards either because of the pass rush.

I wonder if he can slide into the middle when Fletch retries. His coverage abaility is ideal for ILB in a 3-4

This is what I've been saying all year. If anything he shouldn't be competing with Orakpo, but being groomed as a replacement for Fletcher. I mean right now itz Zo splitting time with Fletcher, but the question becomes is Jackson better at that spot than Zo? I also wonder if I'd rather have Jackson covering the TEs than Fletcher? Its a different dynamic than covering RBs, but its something to consider.

He is a starting OLB.

He is not a back up.

Couldn't have said it any better. Jackson in your first and down LB as he is far better in run/pass coverage. Orakpo is your sack guy. Gotta keep Rob Jackson on this roster. He has earned it.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 07:40 PM ----------

Jackson has done an admirable job filling in for Orakpo but if you think he's better, you're nuts. Orakpo would've had over double digit sacks this year and that probably means Kerrigan would have too... That much maligned secondary wouldn't have given up all those yards either because of the pass rush.

Sacks alone don't make you the better overall player. I agree that Orakpo is better at getting to the QB, but your nuts if you think Orakpo is better as a pure LB in defending the run and dropping back into coverage. In fact, IMO, Orakpo is a liability when asked to do anything besides rush the QB

100% on your side man but I'm getting so tired as is the other side of trying to hash this thing out. Clearly it just is what it is at this point and some people are so sold on their opinion they won't hear anything but what they want to hear. Hopefully we can hold on to Jackson but I would not be surprised if he went elsewhere for a full time starting gig. And of course we're kind of assuming Rak can come back healthy, which I'm really hoping he can.

Both Orakpo and Jackson should be kept on this team. I'd like to see Haslett be creative with their usage next season when Orakpo is back. There's nothing wrong with having a lot of pass rushers, the Steelers and Giants have done this for years. Maybe play Jackson at ILB or use Orakpo mostly just on passing downs, things like that.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 07:40 PM ----------

Sacks alone don't make you the better overall player. I agree that Orakpo is better at getting to the QB, but your nuts if you think Orakpo is better as a pure LB in defending the run and dropping back into coverage. In fact, IMO, Orakpo is a liability when asked to do anything besides rush the QB

You're right that Orakpo has done a poor job in coverage and run defense over the past couple of seasons, but I wonder how much of that is reflective upon the scheme he was playing in? Jackson has been asked to do different things than Orakpo.

Archived