Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Pro Bowl Selections: Alexander, Griffin III, Williams, Fletcher, Kerrigan

Murphs56

So Far, we have one...

@JRRickert Congratulations to client @OneManGang97 of the #Redskins on his selection to the #ProBowl!!!!

Okung made it from Seattle. Hopefully Trent gets his due

-----------------------------------

ES Staff appended edit:

For Immediate Release

December 26, 2012

THREE REDSKINS SELECTED TO PRO BOWL

Lorenzo Alexander, Robert Griffin III and Trent Williams all earn first career Pro Bowl nods

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced today that linebacker/special teamer Lorenzo Alexander, quarterback Robert Griffin III and tackle Trent Williams have all been selected to the 2013 Pro Bowl. The annual contest of the AFC and NFC's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

In addition, linebacker London Fletcher and running back Alfred Morris were selected as alternates.

Alexander, 29, is in his third season as Washington’s special teams captain. The two-time team recipient for Walter Payton Man of the Year has played eight different positions in six NFL seasons, but has earned acclaim as one of the top special teams players in the NFL. This season, Alexander has been credited by coaches with a team-high 29 special teams tackles. His 19 special teams tackles as credited by STATS, LLC are the most in the NFL.

Alexander is the first Redskin since long snapper Ethan Albright (2007) selected to the Pro Bowl on the basis of special teams play.

The Redskins selected Griffin III, 22, with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft last April, and despite being inactive in Week 15, Griffin III has completed 249-of-375 passes (66.4 percent) for 3,100 yards with 20 touchdowns, only five interceptions and a passer rating of 104.1. Griffin III already holds at least a share of team rookie records for passing attempts, pass completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns, and is on pace to set team rookie records for completion percentage and passer rating. In addition, he has rushed 114 times for 752 yards with six rushing touchdowns this season, all three of which are team records for a quarterback. His 6.6 yards per carry average leads the NFL among players with at least 100 rushing attempts.

Griffin III is the first rookie quarterback selected to the Pro Bowl in Redskins history. Prior to 2012, only six rookie quarterbacks in NFL history had been named to the Pro Bowl. He is the first offensive rookie for the Redskins to be selected to the Pro Bowl since running back Larry Brown in 1969. Griffin III is the first Redskin quarterback of any experience level to earn a Pro Bowl selection since Brad Johnson following the 1999 season. His selection is the 21st by a Redskins quarterback, joining Johnson, Gus Frerotte (1996), Mark Rypien (1989, 91), Jay Schroeder (1986), Joe Theismann (1982-83), Billy Kilmer (1972), Sonny Jurgensen (1964, 66-67, 69), Norm Snead (1963), Eddie LeBaron (1955, 57-58), Al Dorow (1956), Harry Gilmer (1950, 52) and Sammy Baugh (1951).

Williams, 24, is in his second season as an offensive captain for the Redskins. The first player drafted during Mike Shanahan’s tenure in Washington, Williams has blossomed into one of the league’s elite left tackles in his first three seasons since being selected No. 4 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft. Williams anchors an offensive line that has helped the Redskins average a league-high 162.3 rushing yards per game this season. He has helped rookie running back Alfred Morris shatter team rookie rushing records, as well as bring Morris to within 104 yards of breaking the Redskins’ single-season rushing record. Despite fighting several significant injuries throughout the season, Williams is one start on Sunday away from having started all 16 games in a season for the first time in his career.

Williams becomes the first Redskins offensive lineman selected to the Pro Bowl since Chris Samuels in 2008. With Williams’ first Pro Bowl selection and Samuels’ six career selections, the Redskins’ last seven Pro Bowl offensive linemen have all been left tackles. Williams’ selection is the 14th by a Redskins offensive tackle since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, joining Samuels (2001-02, 05-08), Jim Lachey (1990-91), Mark May (1988) and Joe Jacoby (1983-86).

With the Redskins’ selections this year, the team has had at least one Pro Bowl player for 19 straight seasons. The only year Washington has not had a Pro Bowler in team history was 1993. Shanahan has now coached players responsible for 73 Pro Bowl selections during his tenure as an NFL head coach. Shanahan has had at least one player selected to the Pro Bowl in each of his 19 seasons at the helm.

------------

ES Staff appended edit #2

For Immediate Release

January 20, 2013

LINEBACKERS LONDON FLETCHER, RYAN KERRIGAN

NAMED TO PRO BOWL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced tonight that linebackers London Fletcher and Ryan Kerrigan have been selected to the 2013 Pro Bowl. The annual contest of the AFC and NFC's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. Fletcher and Kerrigan will take the places of San Francisco 49ers linebackers Patrick Willis and Aldon Smith, respectively.

Fletcher and Kerrigan join special teamer/linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, quarterback Robert Griffin III and tackle Trent Williams as the team’s Pro Bowl selections for the 2012 season. The 2012 season marks the first time the Redskins have had five Pro Bowl selections since 1996.

Fletcher, 37, will appear in his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl, making him the first Redskin since tackle Chris Samuels to earn four consecutive Pro Bowl berths (2005-08). He is the first defensive player for the Redskins to make four straight Pro Bowl appearances since linebacker Ken Harvey (1994-97).

Fletcher, a defensive captain and the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Month for December, finished the season with a team-high 188 tackles (112 solo) as credited by the coaching staff. He also posted a career-high five interceptions and pushed his consecutive games played streak to 240, tied for the longest active streak in the NFL.

Kerrigan’s selection is the first of his career. Kerrigan, 24, led Washington in sacks in 2012, posting a career-high 8.5 sacks in his second NFL season. In addition, Kerrigan posted his second career interception return for touchdown in Week 5 vs. Atlanta, making him the only player in the NFL to have posted at least 10 sacks (16) and two interception returns for touchdown (two) across the last two seasons.

With the selections of Fletcher and Kerrigan, the Redskins have had at least two linebackers selected to the Pro Bowl in three of the last four seasons (2012 – Alexander (special teams), Fletcher, Kerrigan; 2010 – Fletcher and Brian Orakpo; 2009 – Fletcher and Orakpo).

With the Redskins’ selections this year, the team has had at least one Pro Bowl player for 19 straight seasons. The only year Washington has not had a Pro Bowler in team history was 1993. Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan has now coached players responsible for 75 Pro Bowl selections during his tenure as an NFL head coach.

Dude, I don't use twitter and could not care less about hash tags. Could you use English when posting!?!

That is his source, and he's just relaying the info. No reason to get snarky when he is taking time to share information with all of us. Thanks Murph, and congrats to OMG.

he was actually good this season? a rookie lineman getting into the pro bowl? if thats actually true, thats pretty awesome! i wasnt able to watch many games this season sine i was in long island so i guess i didnt know how good the offensive line actually was.

I'm screwing around. But Jordan Black is no rookie. He was a backup who saw time only when Polumbus went down with injury. Black was actually retired prior to the season.

he was actually good this season? a rookie lineman getting into the pro bowl? if thats actually true, thats pretty awesome! i wasnt able to watch many games this season sine i was in long island so i guess i didnt know how good the offensive line actually was.

Black isn't the rookie, that's Tom Compton. Black was the vet who came out of retirement.

This is someone joking about how upset people got about a one year stop gap part-timer being suspended. Of course the quality of his play was not the point. It was the timing and then the fact he was apparently suspended over a paperwork sanfu because he was prescribed that medicine

huh. i coulda sworn he was a rookie...strange. lol so i guess chris mortensen was messing around with that tweet

No. It was about Richard Sherman from SEA. I made a joke that our backup tackle who got suspended for PED (wrongfully, but whatever) and played very little wouldn't be making the Pro Bowl.

Black isn't the rookie, that's Tom Compton. Black was the vet who came out of retirement.

This is someone joking about how upset people got about a one year stop gap part-timer being suspended. Of course the quality of his play was not the point. It was the timing and then the fact he was apparently suspended over a paperwork sanfu because he was prescribed that medicine

ohh tom compton is the rookie. gotcha.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

No. It was about Richard Sherman from SEA. I made a joke that our backup tackle who got suspended for PED (wrongfully, but whatever) and played very little wouldn't be making the Pro Bowl.

ohhhhh i see now. so no Cedric Griffin either???

Archived