Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Garcon & Meriweather set to return

Hitman21ST

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8639793/pierre-garcon-brandon-meriweather-set-return-washington-redskins

Coach Mike Shanahan said after Friday's practice that both will play barring any setbacks this weekend, giving the Redskins a badly needed big-play receiver and an even more badly needed starting-caliber safety.

:beavisnbutthead:

This is absolutely great news. We now have a deep game back, and Meriweather should make our secondary better (maybe not good, but better).

:point2sky

Is Meriweather a FS or SS? Please say FS, and that he will be replacing Madieu Williams

I think the original plan was to use Meriweather at SS and Jackson at FS. Not to say he can't play FS (and let's be honest, no one can be worse than Madieu at this point), but I think we're trying to use him more in the box and on intermediate passing routes as opposed to the deeper stuff.

Not sure Merriweather will make of any difference if he is indeed back.

Dude didn't have much of a pre-season through injury and is FAR from in game shape. Hopefully he shows enough the last 7 games to stick around next year as we sure as heck need the bodies back there. But I'm not expecting much of anything from him the rest of this year all things considered.

Garcon on the other hand is a massive boost to an ailing offense. I can see Roberts smile from here.

Hail.

I think the original plan was to use Meriweather at SS and Jackson at FS. Not to say he can't play FS (and let's be honest, no one can be worse than Madieu at this point), but I think we're trying to use him more in the box and on intermediate passing routes as opposed to the deeper stuff.

I think you are correct. Merweather is better suited as a run stopper, but I am happy to have him back either way. At least we will get to see what we have in him as we move toward the end of the season.

I'm taking the optimistic path with this news....the worst thing that can happen is they get hurt & we shut them down for the rest of the year.

But, the upside is huge. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm that the 'skins need.

It's time for some good things to happen to this team.

Hail!

I, for one, am excited to have these guys back and am not going to be ashamed about it. With how bad our Safeties have played Meriweather needs to be merely average for it to be a big improvement. I'm really hoping Pierre is explosive somehow... it's a long shot, but you never know. Maybe he is indeed feeling better.

The Garcon move appears desperate to me. We were hearing the question was whether he'd even be ready for Dallas and now he's ready to come back?

I don't expect much from him, and I really think if he isn't effective that he should just get the surgery now.

Sunday will be VERY telling as to just how the players stand with the HC/ Coaches.

If the season is indeed done, I'm 100% with you to shut Pierre or anyone else vital to our future that's needing surgery down and have them fresh and healthy for the next campaign.

Hail.

Good news for sure but I expect Garcon to have a limited role, just like last time when he came back. A decoy to occupy their best corner.

Merriweather, however, I can see having a bigger impact, if Haslet dials up the heat.... that's worth a laugh. While I think its imperative we change our approach on defense, all the talk I hear is that we will respect (and fear) Foiles. So while BM shouldnt hurt our D at all, our lame duck predictable facepalm blueprint for facing a rookie will limit his chances to have an impact. We will not blitz not attempt to rattle the rookie, give him the underneath, and hope he gives the game to us. Our recent record against rookies speaks for itself.

I for one hope that Merriweather improvises and goes for an INT if Haslet's lack of pressure lets Foiles pick us apart.

Did not hear that. Who's job? :whoknows:
no one on offense's job is in jeopardy. Hell I've heard Kyle might be looked at as a head coach, so I doubt he'd be fired as OC

I don't think it was specified who's job was in jeopardy (I would guess Mike's, but I honestly don't know), but I know I either read it on here or heard it on a podcast that was linked in a thread on here.

no one on offense's job is in jeopardy. Hell I've heard Kyle might be looked at as a head coach, so I doubt he'd be fired as OC

It's for a whole other thread and a whole other topic, but it could well be argued Kyle has held Robert back this year. As great as Robert's been.

Just a personal opinion, but he's a ways away from what I'd want in a HC.

Hail.

Archived