Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TWD Comics Thread: (WARNING---TV SHOW SPOILERS!)

rictus58

So at the end of the last episode, Rick picks up the ringing telephone. If you've read the comic, you know "who" is on the other end. Part of me was disappointed they brought that aspect of the comic into the TV series.

Yeah I was a bit disapointed by that and had a hard time keeping from saying something when people on here started coming up with theories of who was on the other end.

Although I suppose you never know, the show might do it differently.

Yeah I was a bit disapointed by that and had a hard time keeping from saying something when people on here started coming up with theories of who was on the other end.

Although I suppose you never know, the show might do it differently.

And that's what I'm still holding out hope for. The show veers off enough from the comic to still keep me very interested. I think I would have preferred Lori die like she did in the comic. I want(ed) to SEE her die. I don't see the baby surviving a long time on the show. If they are going to continue the storyline of Rick sinking into darkness and depression, the baby needs to die as well.

And that's what I'm still holding out hope for. The show veers off enough from the comic to still keep me very interested. I think I would have preferred Lori die like she did in the comic. I want(ed) to SEE her die. I don't see the baby surviving a long time on the show. If they are going to continue the storyline of Rick sinking into darkness and depression, the baby needs to die as well.

I kind of agree. As depressing as it will be.:(

So at the end of the last episode, Rick picks up the ringing telephone. If you've read the comic, you know "who" is on the other end. Part of me was disappointed they brought that aspect of the comic into the TV series.

I'm hoping they veer off in a new direction... that perhaps the phone call is legit!

The phone call in the comic was such a great story when you consider that he and Carl were solo at that point.

Spoilers:

They won't kill a baby on television...that's just my opinion. We know who is on the other end of the phone, but I think they brought it up at the incorrect moment. In the comics Rick was sick, delirious, and isolated following a collapse of the society he had tried so hard to build and the deaths (for all he knew) everybody in his group aside from his son. It was the perfect moment to introduce the phone/crazy element to the comics. At this point in the show, sure a lot of bad things have happened, but I'm supposed to believe that Rick is snapped and off the deep end? Why? Because his wife that he really didn't even want to talk to for months is suddenly dead? The baby isn't even dead like it was in the comics along with many others, and he hasn't had his arm chopped off and been grazed by a bullet to the stomach yet. I think they brought this out prematurely.

Also, I don't enjoy the way in which they introduced Woodbury and the Governor. I also don't like what they've done with Andrea's character. In the comic books she's basically an incredible sniper, a quick and tough decision maker, and a reliable ally of Rick's. In the TV series she strikes me as dumb, indecisive, unsure, and there isn't an emphasis on her being a good shot of any kind. It just seems like they re-wrote "strong, independent, reliable woman" into "whiny, unsure, not necessarily useful in any way woman" which is not a good thing. I do like Michonne so far, I just don't know why she and Andrea had to go to Woodbury first rather than go to the prison and have them get captured by Woodbury as they did in the comics. Oh well, I'm enjoying the series anyway for what it is- a re-working of an already great story line.

I'll leave this up to the masses, but for this thread, you don't need to hide your "spoilers" IMO.

---------- Post added November-14th-2012 at 11:57 AM ----------

I'm hoping they veer off in a new direction... that perhaps the phone call is legit!

The phone call in the comic was such a great story when you consider that he and Carl were solo at that point.

It's been a while since I read the comics, but I don't remember Rick and Carl being solo at this point. They still had some people from the prison with them. Rick would talk on the telephone at night while keeping watch late at night on them.

If anyone hasn't read any of/all of the comics, check your local library. Mine has nearly all of them.

Not at the prison.

They left after the battle with the governor. (which was how Lori and the baby really died... escaping.)

Rick and Carl were solo... then met up with M and a few others.

The phone call was at a random house they were looking for supplies in and he wanted to leave to where the woman was. But she didn't trust him enough to give him directions. So he had to keep talking to her. And eventually she let in on who she really was.

Bout time! Jumbo will appreciate this :)

Took long enough. Sometimes it's like watching walkers. Slow and single minded-ness is the order of the day. :pfft: :ols:

So, expecting this, I do however have a burden for the OP to bear and ask everyone help him.

Make sure all forum rules are followed in this thread.

I don't want to read in here or respond to matters since I don't want to read spoilers. :)

While I have requested assistance from specific sources, I do put the self-monitoring theme on you guys with extra emphasis. So help each avoid rule violations, which means you need to be aware of our rules.

That's how things need to go. ;)

Have fun! :cool:

Fear Not Jumbo, I'll use the "report post" feature liberally.

Cool, but even better if you just get guys to edit their own errors (and that you have help doing it).

I may not be the only mod that doesn't want to have check on some rule violation in the thread that also might result in the revealing some spoiler in the show for us. :)

No one should want to have some PO'd mod in that situation.:D:ols:

Thanks again. :)

Spoilers:

They won't kill a baby on television...that's just my opinion. We know who is on the other end of the phone, but I think they brought it up at the incorrect moment. In the comics Rick was sick, delirious, and isolated following a collapse of the society he had tried so hard to build and the deaths (for all he knew) everybody in his group aside from his son. It was the perfect moment to introduce the phone/crazy element to the comics. At this point in the show, sure a lot of bad things have happened, but I'm supposed to believe that Rick is snapped and off the deep end? Why? Because his wife that he really didn't even want to talk to for months is suddenly dead? The baby isn't even dead like it was in the comics along with many others, and he hasn't had his arm chopped off and been grazed by a bullet to the stomach yet. I think they brought this out prematurely.

Also, I don't enjoy the way in which they introduced Woodbury and the Governor. I also don't like what they've done with Andrea's character. In the comic books she's basically an incredible sniper, a quick and tough decision maker, and a reliable ally of Rick's. In the TV series she strikes me as dumb, indecisive, unsure, and there isn't an emphasis on her being a good shot of any kind. It just seems like they re-wrote "strong, independent, reliable woman" into "whiny, unsure, not necessarily useful in any way woman" which is not a good thing. I do like Michonne so far, I just don't know why she and Andrea had to go to Woodbury first rather than go to the prison and have them get captured by Woodbury as they did in the comics. Oh well, I'm enjoying the series anyway for what it is- a re-working of an already great story line.

I agree on Woodbury, I hate the way they are presenting it (and the Gov.) in the show. It's like every time they switch scenes from the prison to Woodbury my level of interest drops dramatically. To your point, I think it has alot to do with the fact that the TV version of Andrea is so boring and viewers have no real attachment to her character.

I agree on Woodbury, I hate the way they are presenting it (and the Gov.) in the show. It's like every time they switch scenes from the prison to Woodbury my level of interest drops dramatically. To your point, I think it has alot to do with the fact that the TV version of Andrea is so boring and viewers have no real attachment to her character.

Yeah, and she never even goes to Woodbury in the comics, it's Rick, Glenn, and Michonne with Rick and Glenn wearing their bite proof riot gear.

Andrea's character sure is bleh in the TV series. At times she's been preachy and not in a good way, but rather an annoying one. She hasn't been very strong, or at least the times she has been (likely her months spent with Michonne) were only alluded to, not something we see. We form no attachment to the character, have no way to sympathize with her, and rather than hoping that she lives as we should for most of the good characters in this story, we're left either indifferent or hoping that she dies so we don't have to hear any more of her stupid speeches- just as we were all most likely relieved when preachy ****y Laurie got quiet at the start of this season and finally bit the dust. Her character and her relationship with Rick was also different from the comics which I didn't enjoy.

I had no attachment to "T-Dawg" either. I was sure he was Tyreese, only in the comics for a time Tyreese is Rick's right hand man and a major player in a number of events. In the most recent episode Glenn tells us that T-Dawg was a great guy, but we never saw it happen. We never built that attachment. We knew he was around from the beginning but what type of person he was and how he fit with the rest of the group was always left totally vague. How are we supposed to be devastated by the death of a character that we don't really even know?

I think the problem with Andrea's character was the fact that they wouldn't touch on her relationship with Dale the way that they did in the comics. They totally avoided it altogether. Dale was written as, in my opinion, a weaker character than in the comics. He still had the ideals of comic Dale, but not the subtlety and command of comics Dale. The one on TV seemed like just a whiny hippie of sorts. In the comics he helps give Andrea the strength and foundation she needed following her sister's death, and in the tv series it's just a mess.

I feel like the 2nd season just made a whole lot of mistakes. Staying with the farm for so long, keeping Shane around for so long, doing away with Sophia and having that long search for her. It takes forever for them to encounter a herd and they missed out on a lot of good possibilities with a lot of characters. I understand things will be different, but why destroy Tyreese and his character? Why leave out that awesome point where they enter that gated community in the winter, and they're inside a house talking about how they can make a life there, then as they sleep snow falls off the wall where someone had spray painted not to enter and that there were lots of dead inside. That was chilling to read and it was suspenseful even flipping the page to see what happened next.

I guess my biggest thing here is: if you're going to keep characters around, develop them. We don't really know anything about Darrell other than he is a redneck, has an SS badge on his chopper, has brother issues, and feels guilty for Sophia's death, we didn't know anything about T-Dawg, we know a little bit about Glenn, we don't know much about others...basically not developing characters (as the show has been doing) is useful for two things: 1. Characters you're going to kill off before too long anyway so you don't get too deep into them, and 2. Characters you're making intentionally mysterious as in the case of Michonne (who is developed very slowly in the comic books). There is value to developing characters who stick around: we get a feel for them, we know them, we perhaps like them or identify with them (put ourselves in their place or state of mind), we want them to live, and we get to actually feel sad when they die. When you have a character stick around for 3 seasons and not get developed you end up with someone who we don't really know, can't really care about or identify with on a deeper level, we are indifferent if they live or die aside from the fact that they've been around for a long time, and you get things like the death of T-Dawg where he's getting all bitten up and trying to save Carol and I'm yawning on the couch going "I was wondering when they were finally going to just kill him off". Sure, you don't want to fall into a character pattern and become boring or predictable.

The comic books did a good job of sometimes very quickly developing a likeable character and then having them taken out right away, and you have Michonne as they mysterious woman who barely speaks but is clearly indispensable...eh, I think the whole show isn't even about zombies, it's about human beings, our basic tendencies/primal instincts, how we deal with horrible situations and threats, etc. The walking dead is a character study. You could replace zombies with aliens, monsters, or the bubonic plague and the story doesn't necessarily change all that much. It's about people surviving hardship, and you can't have that and not develop your characters which is what the TV series has been doing. It's season 3. It's time to learn a little more about these people. Perhaps even a momentary flashback, as cliche as those are, to explain a character's origins. Anything really, just make these people interesting. Make someone likeable or really really really unlikeable. Do something other than nothing. The blandness of characters outside of Rick, maybe Herschel, maybe Darrell is alarming to me. I'd rather have an episode where 1 or 2 grotesque zombie deaths are shown but a whole lot is going on character wise than have an episode with a super duper zombie battle that serves only to be a bunch of dumb action mindlessly happening where we don't care about the characters and basically nothing is at stake.

/rant over

The rant is spot on!

I've had a difficult time getting attached to the characters as well.

I will say though... the way they've portrayed the Governor so far makes his character more believable. The Governor of the comic book reminds me of Machete. lol.

I can't see season 3 dragging the prison storyline into season 4. We've seen 5 of the 16 episodes... and there's plenty of time for a LOT of things to go down leading to a war finale.

I really wanted to see Axel as part of the prison story. And I hope that they bring Abraham in for season 4.

Should I put it all in black or not? I did it before and someone said I didn't need to...plus I didn't really say much which gives away what is to come in that rather large rant of mine.

It's okay to NOT put it all in black in THIS thread. :)

Archived