Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC news:Child Mauled to Death by Dogs at Pittsburgh Zoo

RichmondRedskin88

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/child-mauled-to-death-by-dogs-at-pittsburgh-zoo.html

A toddler was mauled to death today after falling into the African painted dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo.

The boy, who was around 3 years old, fell 14 feet over a railing and into the exhibit, said Barbara Baker, director of the Pittsburgh Zoo.

“Visitors alerted the staff immediately and they went into emergency response mode,” she said.

Zoo officials tried firing darts to scare the dogs away from the child, but the animals, which are pack hunters, did not immediately respond.

The dogs were eventually moved from the exhibit, with the exception of one, which had to be shot by a police officer after it continued to “be aggressive” to the boy, Baker said.

“Unfortunately by the time EMTs were able to get to him, the boy had passed away,” Baker said.

So sad :( What the hell was the parent thinking?

News 4 reported that the mom had the kid up standing on the railing to get a better look.

Wild dogs are NASTY vicious.

I think they'd have tken a few chunks out of me.. who wouldn't have jumped in after their kid?

~Bang

Terrible story. I know it's easy to say since I wasn't there in the heat of the moment, but I honestly think I would've jumped in to save the child they might've taken me out, but I'd most likely take the chance.

Terrible story. I know it's easy to say since I wasn't there in the heat of the moment, but I honestly think I would've jumped in to save the child they might've taken me out, but I'd most likely take the chance.

Hell, if it's my own kid, there's not even a question.. its only 14'.

I'm in and fighting.

~Bang

Ass clown to post "those poor dogs" in 3, 2, 1....

These are wild dogs not domesticated dogs. Clown post bro.

Jesus what a terrible fate for a child barely old enough to have memories. An absolute shame. What was the mother thinking and she has to be in massive depression right now.

Most zoos don't use cages now.

And most people are smart enough to not balance their toddler on the railing over the enclosure.

From what they reported on TV, the zoo has a net below to catch anyone who may fall, and the kid was so light he bounced out of it like a trampoline.

~Bang

i would like to think i would have jumped in there before i had time to think about it. hopefully one or two more bystanders would have as well.

sad story.

from the stuff ive seen on youtube, it doesnt take these dogs too long to kill. probably impossible for anyone to react quick enough to help.

Most zoos don't use cages now.

I went to a zoo in Pretoria, SA where they had Tigers/Lions on a slope that was separated by a gorge (think the shape of a check mark). The result was an unobstructed, eye level view of those incredible animals.

This story sucks though, a 3 year old mauled? ****

From what they reported on TV, the zoo has a net below to catch anyone who may fall, and the kid was so light he bounced out of it like a trampoline.

~Bang

I thought the net was there to catch wallets, cameras, etc., but couldn't support the weight of a human, child or adult. I could be wrong.

Sad story either way, I read about it yesterday morning and thought about posting it but decided not to, I guess I've become a bigger softie about these things since having my own kids.

Why is everyone saying "stupid mother?" We don't know the full details. The kid could have lunged or did something his mother wasn't expecting. Alot of parents have held their kids up on railings when they couldn't see. I'd like to get more details then what was in the blog, then saying "stupid mother."

Why is everyone saying "stupid mother?" We don't know the full details. The kid could have lunged or did something his mother wasn't expecting. Alot of parents have held their kids up on railings when they couldn't see. I'd like to get more details then what was in the blog, then saying "stupid mother."

I'm sorry, but when it comes to wild animals at the zoo, I'm not gonna put my kid at risk by putting them up on a railing that they could (like you said) easily fall off of. Kids wiggle, squirm, and do all kinds of stuff when your holding them. Why take the chance?

And it's not the animals fault. They're wild animals for crying out loud (and having them live in a zoo in confinement is a totally different issue that I don't agree with, but that's for a different thread). This is all on the mother IMO.

i would like to think i would have jumped in there before i had time to think about it. hopefully one or two more bystanders would have as well.

sad story.

from the stuff ive seen on youtube, it doesnt take these dogs too long to kill. probably impossible for anyone to react quick enough to help.

Anyone jumping in wouldn't have helped. Wild dogs hunt in packs and make quick work. This whole thing is a complete shame. What's sad is I'm willing to bet 99 percent there were clear sings stating "Do NOT climb railings."

I hope my Mom never had me within inches of falling into a pit with a pack of carnivorous animals. Holding your kid over a railing to see a tortoise is one thing. Would you have your kid stand on a railing if there was a Great White Shark in the tank below? Maybe the kid did lunge (doubt it, that's a pretty significant detail) but if he did it never should've been brought to that chance.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to wild animals at the zoo, I'm not gonna put my kid at risk by putting them up on a railing that they could (like you said) easily fall off of. Kids wiggle, squirm, and do all kinds of stuff when your holding them. Why take the chance?

And it's not the animals fault. They're wild animals for crying out loud (and having them live in a zoo in confinement is a totally different issue that I don't agree with, but that's for a different thread). This is all on the mother IMO.

I hope my Mom never had me within inches of falling into a pit with a pack of carnivorous animals. Holding your kid over a railing to see a tortoise is one thing. Would you have your kid stand on a railing if there was a Great White Shark in the tank below? Maybe the kid did lunge (doubt it, that's a pretty significant detail) but if he did it never should've been brought to that chance.

All I'm saying is, she probably has the weight of the world on her shoulders for what happened and everyone in here is saying she is stupid without knowing all the details. I'll admit, if it were me, I would have held him up only high enough for his head and chest to look over the rail. This is probably the worst nightmare sequence a mother could ever have and I can't imagine how she feels right now.

All I'm saying is, she probably has the weight of the world on her shoulders for what happened and everyone in here is saying she is stupid without knowing all the details. I'll admit, if it were me, I would have held him up only high enough for his head and chest to look over the rail. This is probably the worst nightmare sequence a mother could ever have and I can't imagine how she feels right now.

Oh I agree, there HAS to be some level of sadness for her. No mother would do that if she legitimately thought there was a chance her 3 year old would fall. It's a shame but common sense should've prevailed. Putting your kid in a position to have no barrier to keep them from falling into a pit of wild dogs is foolish, regardless of how sad it is for her. and I'm willing to bet there were warning signs about going on the railings or climbing.

Archived