Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Accountability: Redskins fans, FedEx Field, Excuses, and a 8 game home losing streak.

DC9

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a not a rah-rah thread. This isn't a toot my horn because I don't miss home games thread. I want this to be an initiative thread.

Where to start? Let's start where everyone loves to start when talking about home field advantage and the Redskins. Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium. The Sports Cathedral of the district. We look back fondly on it... maybe we even stretch the truth a touch about how awesome it was. Perhaps, forgetting the food was poo poo, the pipes leaked, and the sewage, I mean, bathrooms were not as clean as they should've been. That said... it was awesome. It was a dump, but it was our dump. The team was good, and we were willing to overlook a lot of imperfections. Crowds arrived early and were loud before and during games.

Enter FedEx field. In 1996, the Redskins moved northeast a ways. A new stadium that was rushed through construction in order for the owner to see it before passing. And let's face it. The Redskins haven't been very good since moving to the new digs (now over 15 years old) and thus, home field advantage has been non-existent.

And to keep this OP as short as possible... there have been numerous excuses as to why the home field has stunk. The team, the stadium, parking, traffic, food prices, etc, etc, etc...

Let's change that this weekend. Let's be accountable as Redskins fans. Let's get to the game early... not on time... but early. If you love tailgaiting... do it... early. Then get inside and make noise. Say what you want about the offense, defense, and special teams... but these players are playing their asses off, and it's our job as fans to make that easier on them.

8 games in a row at home we left the game pissed off. Let's take some steps to change that.

And if you are thinking about selling your tickets... make sure they are wearing burgundy and gold on Sunday... please.

Not to be too cliche', but the journey to 1000 miles starts with one step. We were there once, we can get there again. Let's start this weekend.

Get in early and be loud.

You want more people to show their support the team but have "fire Danny Smith" in your sig?

Yep. I can be loud on defense and cheer on offense and be at the game for the coin toss and still not like the special teams coach. Way to stay on topic ; )

ebay and stub hub. Tickets can be obtained much easier by opposing fans. Also the coporate culture that has developed at sporting events. Games have become a place to do business.

Plus the team owned tickets that get dumped on the market through there.

Stadium is too big, and tickets are in too low of a demand to stop other teams fans.

Good... good...so these are some examples of the excuses and ho-humness that I was talking about in the OP.

Would you guys consider getting in to the stadium early and making the home field environment more un-enjoyable for the opposing team?

This would include not leaving early, by the way.

The experience I had this weekend at Raymond James Stadium surpassed anything I've experienced at Fed Ex and that includes the 2005 thrashing of the Cowboys.

I was in section 139 Row B and we were very well represented. Our fans at this game were phenomenal. I hope this is a sign of things to come at home with our fan base. It honestly felt more like a home game to me than any game I've watched at Fed Ex.

The success of the Redskins is directly related to bad personnel decisions and bad coaching.....period. Yell all you want, but fan support has very little impact on the outcome of games. The fans are not responsible for the bad home record at FedEx nor the good record at RFK.

Good... good...so these are some examples of the excuses and ho-humness that I was talking about in the OP.

Would you guys consider getting in to the stadium early and making the home field environment more un-enjoyable for the opposing team?

This would include not leaving early, by the way.

These aren't excuses. This is reality. And as someone who lives 800+ miles and 12 hours away, a trip to FedEx is one of those things to do once, maybe twice in my life.

- FedEx is too big

- The DC area is not known to be a generations-long hometown like Chicago or Kansas City. It's a region made up of a lot of transplants.

ebay and stub hub. Tickets can be obtained much easier by opposing fans. Also the coporate culture that has developed at sporting events. Games have become a place to do business.

eBay and stubhub hell, I've been offered a beer by our fans to sit down and be quiet while our defense is on the field. Lower level seats. Not a season ticket holder so I do get my tickets wherever I can find them. But it's happened twice in my 6 games I've attended. I mean really???? If ya wanna sit down and watch a game feel free to donut from the comfort of your own sofa. When I'm at the game I represent the 13th man loud and proud. Sorry if it takes away from your game day experience but I didn't pay good money to do what I can do from my sofa. Reminds me of going to an IRL race after being to dozens of NASCAR races. Different kind of crowd. Wine and cheese type crowd.

eBay and stubhub hell, I've been offered a beer by our fans to sit down and be quiet while our defense is on the field. Lower level seats. Not a season ticket holder so I do get my tickets wherever I can find them. But it's happened twice in my 6 games I've attended. I mean really???? If ya wanna sit down and watch a game feel free to donut from the comfort of your own sofa. When I'm at the game I represent the 13th man loud and proud. Sorry if it takes away from your game day experience but I didn't pay good money to do what I can do from my sofa. Reminds me of going to an IRL race after being to dozens of NASCAR races. Different kind of crowd. Wine and cheese type crowd.

I can be loud and still sit down. I only stand up in 2 situations, if someone is up in front of me or if its a big situation and I need to initiate the standup. The biggest reason I do this is because I'm a tall guy and there are kids and elderly people at the games. If I can see just fine sitting down, I'm not going to hinder someone else's view of the game just for the hell of it. And that doesn't mean I'm not loud either.

if this team was worth watching the majority of seats wouldn't be sold. and plus danny doesn't have good control of people who resell tickets either

It is frustrating to continue to read threads like this. I know of no other team in all of football who has sucked ass as long as the redskins yet still sell out every game.

The 12th man has been more than fair. Remember our 5 game win streak to make the playoffs in Gibbs 2? Those crowds were electric specifically the giants and cowboys games

I guess the 12th man needs to be louder for a 9-7 win over the Rams? Or maybe if we'd cheered louder AJ Green might not have caught for 200 yards last week, starting on the very first play of the game.

Actually, I think it's so quiet because nobody wants to spill a drop of their $12 beer.

I was sitting in section 118 row 4 vs Bengals and there was a guy next to me wearing a Portis jersey who didnt know who our QB was.... and an usher came around while we were on D and told everyone to sit down.

So yeah.... we need less of that to have a real homefield advantage. you think ushers in Seattle or Oakland are telling people to sit down on D so that the crybabies behind them can see?

I wish we could innovate something completely brilliant... like a reward for fans who get the loudest while our Defense is on the field. Imagine if we let everyone know that their section has a sound sensor that can exclusively sense the loudness of their particular area and, if they are the loudest by games end, they all win something.

I don't know, maybe that's moronic. But... we need to do SOMETHING. I'm tired of our fans getting all quiet as soon as one thing goes wrong. It's awful.

---------- Post added October-1st-2012 at 07:51 PM ----------

It is frustrating to continue to read threads like this. I know of no other team in all of football who has sucked ass as long as the redskins yet still sell out every game.

The 12th man has been more than fair. Remember our 5 game win streak to make the playoffs in Gibbs 2? Those crowds were electric specifically the giants and cowboys games

I guess the 12th man needs to be louder for a 9-7 win over the Rams? Or maybe if we'd cheered louder AJ Green might not have caught for 200 yards last week, starting on the very first play of the game.

Actually, I think it's so quiet because nobody wants to spill a drop of their $12 beer.

And there it is, the vicious cycle.

The experience I had this weekend at Raymond James Stadium surpassed anything I've experienced at Fed Ex and that includes the 2005 thrashing of the Cowboys.

:ols: Ahhh to be at drinking age and see a game through hops colored glasses :ols:

That stadium wasn't close to the 2005 Cowboys game.

Exactly. The fans do their part, but the team has to give them something to cheer about.

When RG3 led us back against the Bengals, the place was rocking. Then we proceeded to implode.

Exactly. The fans do their part, but the team has to give them something to cheer about.

When RG3 led us back against the Bengals, the place was rocking. Then we proceeded to implode.

Except, thousands had already left early. The fans don't do their part. Not anymore. That's not saying the team isn't at fault, but if you're going to go to a game, support your team. Period. If you can't do that, stay at home. I'd rather the stadium not be sold out but filled with only passionate, supportive fans than have it sold out with a bunch of people who are there for a myriad of reasons that don't include supporting the team.

...So let me get this straight.

You go to the games. You pay for season tickets, you spend money on jerseys, you buy food for tailgating, or you buy food at the stadium...you go to the games. No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to go out to FedEx Field when it's boiling or freezing. Ostensibly you're going there to cheer on your team, otherwise what's the point?

So you spend money to go to games...and then you complain that there's no home field advantage because other teams fans invade our games and because the team sucks...

...And yet you'll still drag your ass out to our "crappy" stadium with it's crappy atmosphere and it's overpriced food and beer?

Random thought; if you don't like FedEx Field, if you don't feel like the Redskins have done enough to make you excited enough to actually, you know, show up and cheer for the team instead of get drunk and get pissed...why go?

Seriously? Why go? If you don't think FedEx Field is worth the ground it's built on...don't go. Let other teams fans fill it, let the games be blacked out. The best way to instigate change is to effect someone's wallet, usually.

But no. People still go to FedEx, they still spend the money, they show up and their loud on offense and quiet on defense and they get black out drunk before the game and punch each other in the face during the game, and then they'll turn around and blame Dan for a stadium he didn't build, and the team who always seems to have more fans on the road than they do at him.

watching the Cowboys crap the bed on MNF tonight makes me feel a little better about our Steelers MNF invasion of '08.

The announcers keep noting the number of Bears fans, and how loud they are. There aren't as many Bears fans in Dallas tonight as there were Pitt fans at FedEx, but the beauty of it is soulless Cowboys Stadium has no home-field advantage.

Archived