PCS

Welcome Alfred

Round 6, Pick 3 (173) (From Vikings)

2533457.jpg

Alfred Morris RB Florida Atlantic

5'9"

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/alfred-morris?id=2533457

Overview

Morris is a thick running back and a bit of a tweener, not big enough to be imposing at the next level. He is a serviceable runner who at best could carry a load like BenJarvus Green-Ellis of New England, but he will have to prove he has the speed and athleticism to deserve a shot. He carries late-round or free-agent value.

*Click Link For More*

So he'll be used as FB and on pass protection? I wish they just drafted all o linemen but whatever it's a 6th rounder.

The highlight video says differently...man can definitely be a change-up to Helu. His pass-blocking and possible time at FB are just plusses.

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Morris is a nifty runner adept at finding creases on zone runs, which makes him a great fit in the Redskins' scheme.

Don't read the scouting report; half of the websites I've seen don't even have a scouting report on him.

I watched a 10 min. highlight tape of his junior season (I think), and I know it's a highlight film, but I like this guy. He looks like he can handle getting hit; quick change of direction for a bigger RB. His o-line looked horrendous and it was basically up to him to find a hole.

Maybe I'm just homer-ish when it comes to Shanahan and RBs, but in my eyes he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

No. Hes probably serious.

:ols:

Agreed, I think someone is still upset his QB didn't get drafted last year. :ols:

Hadn't seen much tape on Morris until recently, but he does stick out like a sore thumb as a Shanny type of RB...appears he also loves contact so I hope he translates that into fighting for extra yards if he makes the team as a backup.

I think you can complain about any picks except you HAVE to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt on the RB position. I mean....seriously people! Helu, Royster, Torrain for the playing time he got performed pretty solid.

If you want to complain, go in the Cousins thread. I don't agree with it but that's a reasonable complaint. But RB? I think everyone has to give Shanahan props on his history with that position.

The scouting reports for the late round pics don't sound to good.
That's why they are late round pics.

You ever read Tom Brady's Scouting Report?

Hollywood talent scout's notes for Fred Astair's first screen test:

Can't sing. Can't act. Can dance a little.

Sorry. Carry on. :)

----------

As to Morris?

If he can be our short-yardage back, get us 2-3 yards on 3rd and short, maybe improve our red zone scoring percentage, then he'll be my favorite late-round draft pick since Rock Cartwright.

Can he do it? :whoknows:

I think you can complain about any picks except you HAVE to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt on the RB position. I mean....seriously people! Helu, Royster, Torrain for the playing time he got performed pretty solid.

If you want to complain, go in the Cousins thread. I don't agree with it but that's a reasonable complaint. But RB? I think everyone has to give Shanahan props on his history with that position.

Excellent point here..... Can't argue about this statement...well done sir

To me I think you have to extend that courtesy to linemen as well. He just knows how to find ZBS guys for his running game, whether its the back or the linemen. I think if this kid could put on a little more upper body weight/strength he could be a similar player to Mike Tolbert, kind of a RB in a fullback's body that can pass protect and catch out of the backfield as well. This kid has great lower body strength which is essential for running backs to break tackles (see Trent Richardson).

They said he squats 600+ pounds and you can see that in the way he runs. Smaller running backs with tree trunk legs are definitely a trend right now. I'm glad to have him on the team and I think he can have success very similar to the way Helu and Royster did last year if he gets some playing time. If we re-sign Hightower he'll probably be on the PS to start the year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the final 53 by the end of the year if he doesn't make it to begin with.

To me I think you have to extend that courtesy to linemen as well. He just knows how to find ZBS guys for his running game, whether its the back or the linemen. I think if this kid could put on a little more upper body weight/strength he could be a similar player to Mike Tolbert, kind of a RB in a fullback's body that can pass protect and catch out of the backfield as well. This kid has great lower body strength which is essential for running backs to break tackles (see Trent Richardson).

They said he squats 600+ pounds and you can see that in the way he runs. Smaller running backs with tree trunk legs are definitely a trend right now. I'm glad to have him on the team and I think he can have success very similar to the way Helu and Royster did last year if he gets some playing time. If we re-sign Hightower he'll probably be on the PS to start the year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the final 53 by the end of the year if he doesn't make it to begin with.

I agree completely based on history, but we haven't seen Shanahan's success in the OL department nearly as well as we have with the RB position. I imagine in a couple of years we'll all be at a consensus, but for now you simply can't argue with their evaluation of RB's. Nobody knew who Royster and Helu were last year and, while they might not be gamebreakers, they're great value for where they were drafted.

Wasted pick. Wish we would have taken someone better. Or addressed our O-Line needs.

Or recognize we have a big fat cap penalty, and the chances are good that some of these late round guys won't make the team.

Special teams fodder here. Meaning he gets a chance to take Danny Smith's seminar "How To Make a Dumbass Penalty at the Worst ****ing Time Imaginable "

~Bang

Archived