Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Fans Must be the Dumbest Football Fans in the NFL

SonnyandSam

I debated for two days with myself whether to start this thread. But I'm still pissed at our fans...so here goes.....

:soapbox:

At both the Giants and the Cardinals games, our fans could not stay quiet when our offense was on the field. And they got louder when the offense was in the red zone! TWICE, Redskins fans started chanting, "Let's Go Redskins" (loudly) while the offense was in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage at the Cardinals game. Other times, they clapped, whistled, and yelled encouragment. I can appreciate our fans being excited about possible scoring opportunities, but damn it, shut the **** up! Save it for the Skins defense.

Redskins fans are so stupid they cannot even read 20 foot high letters on the HD screens pleading with them to be QUIET......OFFFENSE AT WORK. Despite regular videos of this reminder all throughout the game, Skins fans continued to be loud in the 4th quarter when the offense was on the field.

All these "casual" fans who come to a game once in a while have no clue how to act at a live Redskins game. This is not your ****ing living room; shut the **** up when the Redskins offense is on the field.

I also appreciate that the fans were quite loud in general for both games. We clearly affected both the Giants and the Cardinals offense a couple times in each game. And that's great! I want FedEx Field to bring that home field advantage. There has been a lot of enthusiasm in the stands. We definitely want that. But fans have to channel that energy without creating problems for the team.

And one more example of how ignorant our fans are.....so few know the words to the fight song. In another thread, we have debated the value of the new video that shows the words on the screen. When the band strikes up HTTR, hardly anyone sings the words. But when the video version comes on the screen, everyone is karoaking and the song is incredibly loud because everyone is singing along. Again, the energy and enthusiasm is there; they just do not know when to be loud and need to learn the words to our fight song.

OK.....I'll get off my soap box now.

I have a feeling it is the same idiots that yell "O" during the National Anthem. And by the way, it's not Redskin fans. It's some of the fans and it's not even close to the majority. That and the fact that it's not even close to being loud enough to create any kind of problem. Yes, it's stupid but please don't try to suggest that it's just Redskins fans.

I especially noticed this during the Cardinals game, albeit on television. I saw Rex motioning for the crowd to STFU.

Then again, our fans also do the WAVE when we're on defense. smh.

Edit: Now that I think of it, most casual skins fans I run into are pretty annoying. ALWAYS spouting "superbowl!" after a good game, talking smack when we're up, and being sore losers when we're down. Many of my friends dislike Redskin fans far more than the team itself, and I can't blame him.

I think this is overblown. First off - how many OTHER stadiums do you go to? I was at the Superdome several times during their Super Bowl run and I saw it at every game, including the playoffs (noisy fans on O).

And it really isn't THAT bad. Do you really think the crowd was loud enough to disturb the Redskins' offense? I really doubt it.

Lastly, you simply can't get upset at fans for getting excited when the Skins are on the march. It's a good thing, and as long as it isn't loud enough to bother the O who cares? I was at the game and I don't remember hearing anything loud enough to disrupt our O.

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 01:36 PM ----------

I have a feeling it is the same idiots that yell "O" during the National Anthem.

You need to get over this. It's ridiculous and unhealthy.

Reading that "O!" thread, it's clear that many people here see the "O!" shouters as pretty much worse than Hitler and responsible for everything wrong with the world. Give it up already.

I notice it in both game also but I always stand up and try to get my section to bring it down. In the first game there were large group of Giant fans around my section so that wasn't all skin fans. You can tell some of the fans don't come out a lot because they would know to bring it down when the offense is at work.

Well, i am in agreement with u on most things...however i cant blame people for not knowing all the words to our fight song. I have been a fan for as long as i can remember. I dont know all the words to it. Maybe b/c u cant really hear it while wathcing the game from home....or maybe for the idk 15-16 years we haven't been scoring very much? IDK.

But i guess if people are spending $100's of dollars to see the game they can do whatever they want. But they should be quiet when the O is out there.

Totally agree.

I have no idea why our fans have no idea how to be a 12th man.

At least they've managed to be in the stadium for kickoff both of these games. If there's another thing that irritates and baffles me it's how empty our stadium tends to be at kickoff

~Bang

I have a feeling it is the same idiots that yell "O" during the National Anthem. And by the way, it's not Redskin fans. It's some of the fans and it's not even close to the majority. That and the fact that it's not even close to being loud enough to create any kind of problem. Yes, it's stupid but please don't try to suggest that it's just Redskins fans.

First, I completely agree with your comment about "O" during the national anthem. That has always annoyed me going back to Orioles baseball games where it came from. Totally disrespectfull in my opinion.

But I disagree with you about how many are participating and how loud it is. I sit in the end zone and hear how loud it is. It is loud. Not deafening...but definitely loud. And yes, it IS Redskins fans. There were almost no Cardinals fans in the crowd on Sunday. This WAS Redskins fans cheering. They were not making negative noise but positive noise, if you understand my point. They were cheering "Let's Go Redskins"! You think Cardinals fans were chanting that?

Have to agree with the OP 100%.Years ago you would always here "skins fans are some of the smartest fans in the NFL". I think over the years that's not the case anymore. On gameday you have idiots yelling when the team is on offense, telling people to sit down and be quiet when we are on defense, doing the damn wave. Thank God the stupid beach ball thing stoped a few years ago. Fans need to smarted up or stay home imo.

First, I completely agree with your comment about "O" during the national anthem. That has always annoyed me going back to Orioles baseball games where it came from. Totally disrespectfull in my opinion.

But I disagree with you about how many are participating and how loud it is. I sit in the end zone and hear how loud it is. It is loud. Not deafening...but definitely loud. And yes, it IS Redskins fans. There were almost no Cardinals fans in the crowd on Sunday. This WAS Redskins fans cheering. They were not making negative noise but positive noise, if you understand my point. They were cheering "Let's Go Redskins"! You think Cardinals fans were chanting that?

I didn't mean that it was opposing teams' fans. I just meant that the average fan doesn't do it just a few dumbasses (just like the "O".

Totally agree.

I have no idea why our fans have no idea how to be a 12th man.

At least they've managed to be in the stadium for kickoff both of these games. If there's another thing that irritates and baffles me it's how empty our stadium tends to be at kickoff

~Bang

Or how many people leave in the fourth quarter to avoid the traffic. I don't get it....pay $65-$300+ dollars per ticket plus parking and arrive late and leave early. Why the heck go to the game? By early in the fourth quarter a lot of the upper level and a good chunk of the lower level seats were empty. The fans gave up on the team and just assumed there would be no comeback. Arrgghhh.

I agree, I don't get to go to games often because of the price of tickets being so astronomically high. If I could afford it, I would go to every game- I don't care where I sit, but I cannot.

When I do go however I have observed the same exact things. One would think it is fairly obvious- you make as much noise as possible while on defense, you sit on your hands and don't say a word when you're on offense aside from cheering completed passes and big runs after which you quickly go right back to shutting your mouth.

I don't get how people can be so oblivious. You get two ends of the spectrum. Fans who go in there so drunk and pumped up that they don't shut their mouths the entire game, don't ever sit down, and are constantly noisy when they shouldn't be. These are probably the same people who start the wave. Then you have their opposites which are casual fans, corporate fans who are there potentially around co-workers and don't want to get all worked up, or perhaps the overly reserved fans who understand football, love the Redskins, but find the idea of ever cheering outside of an occasional golf clap to be more terrifying than public speaking.

These are the two groups that bother me at the game. One of them you wish they would sit down and shut up, the other you wish they would stand up and cheer, then there's you right in the middle. You piss off the over the top fan because you're not cheering all the time and maybe you have a ****ty look on your face when he pounds his 10th beer and starts harassing a fan from the opposition. You piss off the reserved fan because you're constantly standing up and making a lot of noise while the team is on defense, ruining their view and bothering their ears!

There is just no winning. I haven't been this year, I am curious as to whether or not the corporate fans are diminished. I hope so. Many of them are real Redskins fans but when you might be sitting a row in front of the CFO or a partner you might be afraid of properly expressing yourself. Its too bad. Could you imagine how loud FedEx would be with everybody screaming on defense? How quiet it would be if everyone shut up on offense? How demoralizing it would be for an opposing team to hear extremely clearly and loudly the words to hail to the Redskins sung by the stadium in unison and in full after every single score? It would truly be a sight to see. Even if we only got back to the level of home field advantage we had in the RFK days it would be great.

I think that the problem is in the ticket price and who the club is selling the tickets to. If Redskins tickets were cheaper, I feel a lot more of the real fans could attend games regularly. I feel that if the Redskins instituted some different policies about who they sold the tickets to it might diminish the amount of opposing fans, and certainly I'd like to see fewer corporate fans. It would be nice to have a reasonably priced stadium where the vast majority of fans are Redskins fans who know when to cheer and when not to cheer. Its at the point where they need to give people clear instructions on how to be fans prior to the game, and that is just embarrassing.

What the heck is this?

Sounds like Gran Torino meets the old timers to me

Redskins fans aren't stupid because they aren't quiet at games

They pay 200 just like you to see the game and drink and have a good time

Why so serious?

Thinking that unless the stadium is silent we are screwed to me isn't giving the team credit

They are used to playing on the road, where noise is a big issue

If you were saying the fans yelled during the offense and were quiet when the Defense was out there I would agree with you

Sounds like you might be outliving going to games

About the song you need to remember that this teams not had much to cheer about for years

And that we are like the only professional team with a fight song these days

Reading that the newer younger fans (30 and below) don't know the song doesn't surprise me all that much

Archived