Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Trek Into Darkness: 5/16/13, IMAX-5/15/13

88Comrade2000

This was initially about potential Star Trek 2 villians but might as make this the official thread.

Go to post #17 to see some great news on the new movie as of 11/15/12.

The first official post for the renamed thread.

http://totalscifionline.com/news/5691-khan-will-not-appear-in-star-trek-sequel

>>>>“It’s definitely a character that will make fans of TOS excited,” claims the source. “Think along the lines of Harry Mudd or Trelane or Gary Mitchell or the Talosians or the Horta. Actually it’s one of those that I named.” <<<

Khan.

Cmon.

Khan!!

And cast Philip Rhys to play him.

Sigh...I can still hope they change their mind, right?

well, at this point in history, khan is cryogenically frozen on the Botany Bay.

besides, why bother? khan's story was already told brilliantly. bringing him back could only disappoint. these movies are derivative enough as it is, let's at least have some originality of plot.

well, at this point in history, khan is cryogenically frozen on the Botany Bay.

besides, why bother? khan's story was already told brilliantly. bringing him back could only disappoint. these movies are derivative enough as it is, let's at least have some originality of plot.

True.

Is it odd that Khan's middle name is the same as the first name of Data's (TNG) creator?

True.

Is it odd that Khan's middle name is the same as the first name of Data's (TNG) creator?

yeah it's a weird thing that's never been explained. "khan nonnian singh" is weirdly similar to "noonian soong", who is data's creator. they are apparently unrelated, though. best guess is that "noonian" is not an uncommon name in the future and it's just a weird historical coincidence.

(edit: i mean "weird coincidence" in lore terms. in real life, they are both named after a childhood friend of roddenberry's)

What I've been wanting for, seems like 40 years, is to have the TV series Klingons come back.

I mean, the ones that beam down on missions with agonizers on their belts, just in case they get a chance to torture something (or each other). The ones that are evil because they like being evil. The ones that can spout tough-guy one-liners while twirling their Fu Manchu mustaches.

I want a story that will give James T. Kirk and the Klingons a reason to hate each other for the next 50 years. I want Klingon children to grow op dreaming about killing James T. Kirk.

None of this "honorable warrior" BS. I want BAD GUYS.

(And, there's a way to fit it into the scheme of things. According to an episode of Enterprise, the "human-looking" Klingons are the result of a Klingon attempt to use "augment" (Kahn and Friends) DNA to create more war-like Klingons. Dr. Phlox was able to create a treatment for the bug that got loose, so that the virus produced Klingons that looked somewhat more human, and were more aggressive, but didn't get the super-intelligence, -strength, or the super-aggressiveness. In short, Klingons looked like TV series Klingons from the end of Enterprise until some time after the TV series, when, supposedly, the Klingons figured out a way to completely cure it.)

(Means that "right now" (movie time), pretty much all Klingons look like the TV series Klingons, and have a heightened aggressiveness.)

• 1 year later...

How many movies in this reboot is this series going to go for? Is it going to go 2-3, or 5-7?

The first one was extremely successful. I really enjoyed it, though I am not a fan junkie of the originals.

• 6 months later...

Now that this is the Star Trek Into the Darkness thread; some great news for Trek fans who live near an IMAX theater.

http://www.startrek.com/article/nine-minute-imax-3d-darkness-preview-set-for-dec-14

>>> on December 14 – get to see not just a trailer, but the first nine minutes of the movie. The extended preview will take place at nearly 500 digital IMAX 3D theaters across the globe.<<<

I just renamed my Star Trek 2 villians thread, the official Star Trek Into the Darkness thread.

• 3 weeks later...

star-trek-into-darkness-poster.jpg

The poster is now up for the movie.

Official website has been set up, though nothing is really there yet.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

SPOILERS The next link is to the rumored plot for the movie:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/11/star-trek-into-darkness-villain-revealed-in-official-plot-synopsis.html

Looks like it's now called Star Trek Into Darkness.

The line "is there anything you would not do for your family?", to me, makes me think of a pair of Star Trek books that I think gave us one hell of a villain.

In The Price of the Phoenix, we met Omne, a very large man, of unknown species (he looks human). He owns a planet located in the Romulan Neutral Zone, a "no mans land" where, by treaty, neither Empire is permitted to send military vessels. His personal philosophy is that all of the Galactic Empires, by dividing up the Galaxy between them, are actually destroying the cultural diversity which is the true strength of the Galaxy. He intends nothing less than the ending of all of them.

Omne is hosting a galactic conference, inviting representatives of any world he can, to try to talk them into dissolving the Federation, or at least removing themselves from it. His argument is that the Federation is actually destroying cultures, by homogenizing them. Kirk and Enterprise have been dispatched to the conference, to present the Federation's side of the debate.

As part of the conference, Omne invites the delegates to take a tour of his planet. Here, he says, he has preserved hundreds of cultures which no longer exist in the Galaxy. Cultures eliminated through one means or another. Examples of the diversity which no longer exists.

At one of these exhibits, if you will, they are invited to witness an example of one such no-longer-existant culture. Omne explains that the woman who lives in this house is a widow, that members of this culture mate for life, and that, as is the custom of her society, she is now about to commit ritual suicide, by burning down her own home, with herself in it, so that her family will not be tempted to attempt to support her. The house bursts into flames, and a beautiful woman steps into the doorway of the house, looking serene.

And holding a baby in her arms.

Kirk breaks from the delegation, and goes running into the burning house, to try to save the baby. He succeeds, throwing the baby to Spock, who reacted a moment later, to follow Kirk.

And the burning house collapses on Kirk, as Spock stands in the doorway, holding the baby.

The opening scene of the book is Spock, beaming up to the Enterprise, with the corpse of James T. Kirk.

Autopsy confirms it. It's really Kirk, and he's really dead.

To make things even more complicated, James Kirk just died, while violating the Prime Directive, in front of a delegation of ambassadors, at a conference which has been called to discuss disbanding the Federation, because of it's continuing ignoring of the Prime Directive.

Spock beams back down to the planet, intent on challenging Omne to single combat. His reasoning is that Omne staged the entire event, knowing that Kirk would react as he did. That he deliberately murdered Kirk to further his political agenda.

Omne, however, says that he has an offer to make.

Omne has invented a device. An improvement of the transporter. The transporter has always had the ability, when it scans and digitizes an object, of storing that scan. And, once stored, of producing identical copies of that object, at will. (All it needs is huge quantities of energy.) However, objects created through this process are dead. For some reason, in order for the transporter to create a live object, the "original" must be destroyed. For some not-understood reason, when the transporter destroys a live object, and creates a duplicate of it, somewhere else, the object's "soul", if you will, transfers to the duplicate.

Well, it seems that Omne has created a version of the transporter which is capable of scanning, storing, and duplicating this "soul", as well as the physical object. There's at least one big limitation to this process: His device can only capture this "soul" at the moment of death (or, perhaps, the moment of the imminent knowledge of it. You can argue about the precise instant, but the results are the same.) His theory is that the "soul", at the instant of death, radiates it's signature at a greatly increased level.

Omne informs Spock that he has used his device to create a duplicate of Kirk. Identical to the original in every way, including his thoughts and memories. He is willing to sell this copy to Spock. All Spock has to do, is to address the conference, condemning Kirk's actions for violating the Prime Directive, and endorsing Omne's plan to disband the Federation.

And well, if Spock declines, then well, no doubt there are others who would pay very well to have a copy of James T. Kirk. For example, the Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident is representing the Romulan Empire at the conference. She lost a lot, when she permitted Spock and Kirk to steal the cloaking device from her fleet. It's taken her years to work her way back up to command of a single ship, and for the Empire to permit her on a mission near Federation space, again. Returning to the Empire with James Kirk might be a big plus in her career.

----------

To me, it was a heck of a story, and a heck of a dilemma: Will Spock do something which might well result in the end of the Federation, to bring Kirk back from the dead?

I don't get that from the preview...s. I do think the one scene is a play on ST2. Kind of diversion I think. But I myself haven't and don't think of Omne based on the previews. Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath would be excited though. ;) These previews also include things like I have returned and revenge. Mind games be played here I think. ;)

Archived