Workout Thread II

PleaseBlitz

Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating

• I'm from DC and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from DC and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens. I may even LIKE the Ravens.
    • I'm from VA and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from VA and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I am ok with the Ravens

Couldnt find the old one using search, so im starting a new one.

The concept is simple, post what workout you did or are doing today and any other fitness related things.

I was sick all weekend, so today is my first day back since Thursday. I am only going for a minute, i have to access my shoulder for a doctors appt tomorrow, i think i did something to my rotator cuff. I havent been able to hiit shoulders or chest since October, which sucks b/c shoulders is my favorite day. While i am there, i will probably spend 40 minutes on the bike, if there are any free.

As a side note,

This is the worst time of year for lifting, as my gym is full of fat people for the next 2 or 3 weeks. I call these people the New Years Resolutionaries. Every January, millions of people arbitrarily resolve to "get into shape" and invade the gym. My normally not-crowded gym is like :censored: Union Station every day now from 5:30 to 7:00. It sucks. Most of them just stand around in my way trying to either A. figure out what the **** they are doing, B. try and look like they are working, but really just dogging it, or C. looking at themselves in the mirror.

My gym has a circuit training class every MWF where the class, which is normally 5 or 8 people, move from machine to machine in an orderly fashion. This week, its been like 30 people, all of whom look like they've never been in a gym before. It looks like a herd of buffalo trying to :censored: a football.

And you would think that with 100% more people, at least some small % would be new co-ed talent. Nope.

In the past, I have always tried to help these people. If they were using a machine wrong, i would politely help them out. If they looked lost, confused, or scared, i would ask them if i could help. If they got pinned under the bar on a bench press, i would help them out. This year, my goal is to get them to leave and never come back, im just sick of it. Im not helping anyone. Im going to quietly move the pins down on machines while people are looking at themselves in the mirror, im going to make mooing sounds constantly, and if i see anyone pinned under a bar, im going to go sit on their chest.

Running, stretching and light free weights.

Averaging a little over 30 miles per week.

The 'resolutioners' are unpredictable. With the cold weather I've been hitting the treadmill at the gym sometimes rather than the trails and roads. The first three times I didn't see many new folks, but last night it was packed, with people dropping weights, using terrible technique etc.

I'll definitely be glad when the Resolutioners get out of my gym. They clog up the treadmills and leave their weights on the bars when they're done. So ****ing annoying....

Right now I'm back to doing my favorite split routine:

Mon- chest/tris/abs

Wed- back/bis/calves

Fri- thighs/shoulders/abs/and a little chest before the weekend

I run a mile on the treadmill after each workout and take all the other days completely off unless I'm playing basketball or something.

Sometime in late Feb, I'll be back to doing an full body 3 days a week with lighter weights and more cardio, to shed my winter bulk for beach season!

Yeah, the New Years crowd always makes January a pisser until they give up and quit.

Anyway, I was running a fair amount in the summer and fall, but the cold weather drove me back indoors. I bought a power tower (pull-ups, dips, pushups, leg raises) and put it together in a corner of my living room. I use that, and I've started doing some of the P90X routines. They hurt like hell and I can't finish them, at least not full sets, but I can sure feel them the next day.

Get away from gyms, buy some kettlebells. :)

Just got done with a light day. 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 clean and press with 35lb KB. 5 minutes of swings with 35lb KB. Think I hit about 100 reps of swings, but I wasn't counting. I'll probably ride stationary bike this evening.

It sucks, I had something pinched in my lower back for a few weeks and couldn't do much. Trying to ease back into it, but in a smart way. When I was younger I would've just gone right back where I left off, but that's usually a bad idea. ;)

DAMMIT, I saw Raub was in the thread and was going to make a "here comes the kettlebell endorsement" crack but he posted before I could do it.

Me too. :laugh:

Oh, and for P90X, it took me 3 solid weeks of doing the programs before i could finish any of the workouts. Just stick with it.

Man you got that right, my gym is full of those people who made some resolution to lose weight. I now have to wait for a machine that not only are they using WRONG but wont be using it in 3 weeks anyways!

some girl came in yesterday with a big ass jamba juice and I just thought, "You are putting more in you then you will burn off all day".

yesterday was biceps and light shoulder.

started off with

80 pound bar with the crooked middle (i dont know the name)

3 sets of 10 with my hands on the inside

3 sets of time with my hands on the outside

60 pound straight bar

3 sets of 10 lifts up from my waist to my neck

3 sets of 10 from my shoulders up straight over my head

27.5 dumbell

3 sets of 10 with my elbow on my knee (each hand)

3 sets of 10 regular curl

50 pound straight bar on the elbow rest station

3 sets of 10

shoulders:

shrugs

straight bar

1 set of 15 with 25lb weight to warm up

1 set of 10 with 45 lbs

1 set of 10 with 55 lbs

1 set of 10 with 70 lbs

pull down bar

1 set of 15 with 90 lbs front

1 set of 15 with 75 lbs back

2 sets of 10 with 120 lbs front

2 sets of 10 with 105 lbs back

I do abs every day (trying to lose my belly)

I warm up with 5 minutes on the treadmill

I do cardio after I lift for 15 minutes and it all depends on what machine I use.

Get away from gyms, buy some kettlebells. :)

Just got done with a light day. 5 ladders of 1,2,3,4,5 clean and press with 35lb KB. 5 minutes of swings with 35lb KB. Think I hit about 100 reps of swings, but I wasn't counting. I'll probably ride stationary bike this evening.

It sucks, I had something pinched in my lower back for a few weeks and couldn't do much. Trying to ease back into it, but in a smart way. When I was younger I would've just gone right back where I left off, but that's usually a bad idea. ;)

Are you doing Crossfit, Raub?

Just started last week some routine I found on Mens Health, the "power body" routine or some other silly name

However I like it quite a bit. It consists of one explosive exercise per day and then 3 other exercises along with a rotational core

Takes me and my buddy about 55 minutes to complete.

It is a 4 day workout and what I love is it is intense and we fly through it. Heart rate is always up, sweating and get in a solid ab workout at the end

Start off with 25 minutes of some cardio then work into the workout

X Sport hasn't been too awful with the New Years folks. It is already started to slow down

If you are at the Ashburn SportsPlex, i bet that place is miserable this time of year.

Not so bad. But being that the membership is all from the local community it's dangerous. A cute young blond on the next treadmill says hello and starts to smile at me, and then I realize that she's one of my daughter's school friends and I probably coached her in soccer when she was five.

Are you doing Crossfit, Raub?

I do elements of Crossfit, but I don't adhere strictly to any of their workouts. I'll pick and choose the stuff that looks interesting. Some of that stuff is over the top and IMO a little counterproductive. I usually throw some rope climbing, plyometric jumping and sledgehammer training into my routine when the weather is decent. My favorite odd training device is the sloshpipe. It's a 10 foot length of 4 inch diameter PVC pipe capped on both ends. You fill it about 2/3rds full of water and then carry it for distance, squat, lunge, etc. It only weighs around 40 lbs but the water is constantly shifting. It'll kick your ass the first couple of times you use it.

I think SHF has it down in the fact that you have to LIKE the workout you are doing or it will never stick. You have to look forward to going to the gym and working out or else it will become a chore and we all know we hate chores.

that's why BigMike's workout = playing sharks and minnows w/ all the kiddies at the neighborhood pool :silly:

I think SHF has it down in the fact that you have to LIKE the workout you are doing or it will never stick. You have to look forward to going to the gym and working out or else it will become a chore and we all know we hate chores.

Yup, I agree.

The neat thing about this workout is there is no boredom. There are like 100 different exercises and being the nerd I am, I will create an excel sheet so we can keep it mixed up

It actually makes the time go by quick wondering what the next exercise is that we will do

Our plan is to switch up the exercises every 2 weeks. That way in the first week we can get used to the bizzare exercises (like doing a squat on one foot) and then in week 2 be able to add some weight to it

Oh, and for P90X, it took me 3 solid weeks of doing the programs before i could finish any of the workouts. Just stick with it.

Yeah, I hope so. Some of them, like the stretching one, are easier. And I was able to finsh the shoulders and arms one the first time, although the resistance band I have isn't very heavy. The chest one though, I'm dead halfway through, and that plyometrics one is ridiculous.

Not to mention, the trainer guy (Tony?) reminds me, both facially and mannerism wise, of a close friend of mine, so that's kind of weird.

Yeah, I hope so. Some of them, like the stretching one, are easier. And I was able to finsh the shoulders and arms one the first time, although the resistance band I have isn't very heavy. The chest one though, I'm dead halfway through, and that plyometrics one is ridiculous.

Not to mention, the trainer guy (Tony?) reminds me, both facially and mannerism wise, of a close friend of mine, so that's kind of weird.

I used 35 lb dumbells. It was torture, but in a good way. I loved PlyoX.

And sometimes, yes, i wanted to kick Tony through a wall.

I'm really just trying to lose weight so I will use the treadmill or eliptical to start and then do a basic workout of upper body one day and lower body the next day.

Anyone have any other gym recommendations that will help me lose weight? I have dropped soda and fast food from my diet as well. Trying to look good for summer....

Yup, I agree.

The neat thing about this workout is there is no boredom. There are like 100 different exercises and being the nerd I am, I will create an excel sheet so we can keep it mixed up

It actually makes the time go by quick wondering what the next exercise is that we will do

Our plan is to switch up the exercises every 2 weeks. That way in the first week we can get used to the bizzare exercises (like doing a squat on one foot) and then in week 2 be able to add some weight to it

www.bodybuilding.com is where i have been getting my workouts from, they have workouts that you can download in excel and print out, its great.

I used to never write down what i was doing, but i have for the past 3 months, it's made a HUGE difference.

www.bodybuilding.com is where i have been getting my workouts from, they have workouts that you can download in excel and print out, its great.

I used to never write down what i was doing, but i have for the past 3 months, it's made a HUGE difference.

I tried to join that site but some dude killed himself on cam and they didnt approve my membership.

So I just have to sit on the outside and scan.

Archived