Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports: 10 players that are on the hotseat

Oldskool

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8308798#sport=NFL&photo=8308372

1 Aaron Rodgers, quarterback, Green Bay Packers

Unless Brett Favre decides to do some scratching before late August, this guy shouldn't bother sitting down. While Brett continues to sit in Mississippi, his former understudy from Cal will remain under bitter scrutiny unless he's able to lead the Pack to victory in every game — and that's just maybe. Unfortunately, this year's schedule is no hayride. And even if Favre, whose $12 million price tag would require restructuring or the firing of current players, goes elsewhere (the moon?), Rodgers will be second in QB popularity...behind rookie Brian Brohm.

2 Roy Williams, safety, Dallas Cowboys

On a roster that includes lover boy quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee, egomaniacal receiver Terrell Owens and champagne-room-hot-seat visitor Adam Jones, Roy's rise to this occasion is extraordinary. But Cowboys fans (not to mention the X-and-O experts of TV) no longer think it's cute that Roy occasionally crushes a running back at the cost of providing horrible pass coverage. His remedy for this rise of critical caterwauling was losing weight in an effort to become speedier. If that doesn't work, Williams can always head back to Burger King and look for work as a linebacker.

3 Chad Johnson, wide receiver, Cincinnati Bengals

Despite catching 93 passes for a career-high 1,440 yards and eight touchdowns last season, Ocho Cinco made the list because of his performance off the field. By the way, he also recently had surgery, but the procedure corrected a bum ankle instead of a busy mouth. Since the Bengals checked in at 7-9 last season, Johnson has been reminding the planet that he'd prefer working for another franchise. Chad, who showed up for mini-camp, will be scrutinized for locker-room-disruption potential if he's not traded and expected to lead his team to the Super Bowl if he is. Admittedly, the guy is quite a dancer.

4 LaDainian Tomlinson, running back, San Diego Chargers

Yeah, I've lost my mind, but did find someone else's. I'm pretty sure this borrowed mind belongs to a Chargers' fans embittered by L.T.'s decision to sulk on the sideline while his team lost a playoff game to the hated New England Patriots. Tomlinson's Q-rating wasn't helped by teammate Philip Rivers who, when L.T. and his knee surrendered after two carries, continued pitching with his own problematic knee. So even though Tomlinson, who now works without Michael Turner, probably will live up to his billing as top fantasy buy in the NFL, his good name may not be restored until he runs for 200 yards during a playoff showdown on one leg.

5 Matt Forte, running back, Chicago Bears

I know what you're thinking, but Rex Grossman's seat burned to the ground more than a year ago. Forte, a rookie second-round pick from Tulane, finds himself as the lead back in an offense that returns only four players who scored more touchdowns last season than middle linebacker Brian Urlacher. With a mediocre offensive line, Grossman and Kyle Orton in a battle for the QB spot, and Marty Booker vying with return superstar Devin Hester for the nod as go-to wide receiver, Forte should feel quite cozy with a bull's-eye on his back.

6 Jake Long, offensive tackle, Miami Dolphins

His chair has been rendered blisteringly hot by a contract ($57 million with $30 million guaranteed) that makes the rookie from Michigan the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history. Hey, his supporters can blame inflation for Jake having a much larger bank account than Anthony Munoz — sort of like the listed value of contemporary, top-grossing movies being assisted by the escalating price of tickets. Anyway, Long could be worth every penny if he's able to protect quarterbacks who aren't exactly pocket savvy and lack elite, coverage-beating receivers. But the team president should be easy to please, right?

7 Donovan McNabb, quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles

In a town whose fans would ask Santa Claus, 'What have you done for us lately?' the guy suiting up at quarterback never feels comfortable sitting down in Philly. With understudy Kevin Kolb learning more of the playbook every day, the pressure on McNabb will intensify. But he could keep Philly happy by handing the ball to Brian Westbrook and flipping it to rookie DeSean Jackson. Here's some good news: the offensive line returns intact. Here's some bad news: Eagles quarterbacks were sacked 49 times last season.

8 Matt Ryan, quarterback, Atlanta Falcons

Even the commissioner isn't happy with this rookie's contract ($72 million over six years with $34.75 million guaranteed). So with money and circumstance pushing Ryan into duty before he may be ready, the kid from Boston College has no top-flight receivers to find downfield and a career back-up stepping in at running back. The offensive line, which gave up 47 sacks last season, may not be much help either. Matt might find the going easier if he avoids spending some of that loot on a puppy.

9 Matt Leinart, quarterback, Arizona Cardinals

Thanks to a hot tub party and the versatility of cell phone cameras, we've almost forgotten how poorly the former USC Heisman Trophy winner performed in the five games before his injury last season. To be fair, Leinart's rumored body-fat percentage — a speculative call made during a sighting at a local gym last year — was nowhere near as high as his quarterback rating (61.9). If Leinart has twice as many picks as touchdown throws again this season, Arizona fans will be treated to another home stretch of watching Kurt Warner drop the football in the red zone.

10 Reggie Bush, running back, New Orleans Saints

Once hailed as the most electrifying prospect to come down the pike in years, the former USC Heisman Trophy winner sits at 22nd on Fox Fantasy magazine's list of running backs to draft. In two years as a pro, Bush has averaged a modest 3.7 yards per carry with his longest run from scrimmage listed as 22 yards. Legendary teammate Pierre Thomas averaged 4.8 in spot duty last season and mixed in a 24-yard scamper in only 52 rushing attempts. Oh, that's right — Reggie was being used as a decoy.

I disagree with the whole list except the McNabb and Williams take. Actually it's a terrible list. Rogers, Long, Ryan, Leinart, Bush, and Forte are all new. Heck, some haven't even played a game yet! Ocho Cinco and Tomlinson are just too good to be on any list. They do cry an awful lot, but they put up huge number for their teams.

As much of a Campbell fan as I am... His name belongs on here before any of the others.

This list came as a surprise to me too.

I would have expected to see Alex Smith and Jason Campbell on the list along with Aaron Rodgers. Their time to shine is coming quickly. Of the three, Rodgers has to be looking over his shoulder the most. I suppose Leinart is "somewhat worthy" of being on the list too, but I didn't get the sense he was having that much trouble, just bad PR.

Now, Roy Williams needs to be on the list -- if he wants to stick around, somethings got to get better. And Reggie Bush, I could see -- simply he's got to start showing he's more multi-dimensional than a Warrick Dunn, due to all the hype surrounding him. He's good, but pressure's building on him to show what more he can do

I wouldn't have put Long, Ryan or Forte on the list -- they're rookies, and it's going to take time to get used to the NFL, especially Ryan. And I have no idea why Tomlinson or Chad were on the list. .

Other candidates: I'd put Troy Williamson, Kyle Boller, Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Ricky Williams, Shaun Alexander, Jamaal Anderson, and maybe even Jack Delhomme. These are all folks in the NFL whose standings may depend on them showing that they still belong. It's about trajectory of one's career in the NFL. For reasons of either perfornance or injury they now have a shadow on their careers -- so this year they've got to shine and dispell that shadow.

This list came as a surprise to me too.

I would have expected to see Alex Smith and Jason Campbell on the list along with Aaron Rodgers. Their time to shine is coming quickly. Of the three, Rodgers has to be looking over his shoulder the most. I suppose Leinart is "somewhat worthy" of being on the list too, but I didn't get the sense he was having that much trouble, just bad PR.

61.9 QB rating last season...started splitting playing time with Kurt Warner after just two games...has yet to throw more TDs than INTs...is underperforming while playing with the likes of Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald...and is coming off of injury.

"Somewhat worthy"?...No, it's completely worthy. And it's a lot more than just "bad PR".

He deserves the hot seat more than Jason Campbell, imo, although Campbell's seat is definitely getting warm.

The list actually seems decent, though I too would add Campbell and consider Smith. I think Smith has a lot more pressure on him since he has been the starter longer, however.

But yes, Leinert and Bush should both be on the list. Before his injury, Wisenhunt was playing with the idea of a platooning system with Leinert and Warner. Not good.

And Reggie has a lot to prove as well. When Deuce went down, so did Reggie's numbers.

Is Terry Glenn on the hot seat? What about Jeremy Shockey? Jake Delhome? Chris Simms? Tvarius Jackson? Joey Galloway? Jon Jansen? Philip Daniels? Cornelius Griffin?

I think Aaron Rodgers has more security than Jason Campbell and Alex Smith. I think Smith has the least room to struggle because he has done so poorly. Campbell has had moments and had a 77 rating, so I wouldn't think he's on the hot seat just yet, although he may be at the end of the year.

Whats going to happen to LT if he continues to put up 1500 yards per year and doesn't have a big game in the playoffs? Are they gonna cut him? trade him? bench him? Are fans gonna stop buying his jersey's?

I don't think so. The only hot seat he's on is the one he probably puts himself on where he wants to do better this year than he did the year before.

Thats like saying that Peyton Manning was on the hot seat before he won the Super Bowl.

Its disappointing that he couldn't get it done, but the guy is one of the greatest players all time. There's no way he's on the hot seat.

Reggie Bush is a good addition. Talk about a 30 million dollar nothing of a player. That Mario Williams pick of Houston's looks better and better every time Bush dives at the ground to avoid contact.

I think Vince Young needs have a better year as well. During the second half of his rookie year there was quite a hype building around him. He slumped in his second year going from 12/13 td/int 1st year to 9/17 in his sophmore campaign. He was drafted right after Reggie Bush with the same amount of hype.

I have to think few players will have a hotter seat than Tony Romo sits to pee.

There are huge expectations for the Cowboys going into this season. The regular season is a no-win situation for him. If they repeat (or come close to) their reg. season success, he will get little credit because they have shown the ability to do so and are expected to do so again. If they falter (don't make playoffs or limp in again) he as the QB/face of the franchise will take a huge hit. If they don't win at least one playoff game....forget about it. He will have to hold the door open for Wade to leave town and then find a rock to spend the off-season.

When you get as much publicity as he gets, have a budding reputation as a choker, and an expectation to lead your team to the SB, I think that qualifies as a mighty hot seat.

If they repeat (or come close to) their reg. season success, he will get little credit because they have shown the ability to do so and are expected to do so again.

I disagree...if the Cowboys start off hot again and Romo sits to pee has a similar year to last year (stats-wise), the media will be championing him and the Cowboys like crazy. For one, they'll be patting themselves on the back saying how right they were about Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys being the obvious pick for the Super Bowl. Every Sportscenter will begin with a stillshot of Romo sits to pee's head behind the anchor and some comment about yet again how well he played. No way in hell does the media pass up a chance to both puff out their chests AND promote the Cowboys.

If Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys stuggle, though, there will be an ungodly amount of criticism piled on top of Romo sits to pee, so much that even I will think it's unfair...but I'll still love seeing it anyway lol :cool:

Is Terry Glenn on the hot seat? What about Jeremy Shockey? Jake Delhome? Chris Simms? Tvarius Jackson? Joey Galloway? Jon Jansen? Philip Daniels? Cornelius Griffin?

Simms can't be on the hot seat because he's a backup QB...how can a backup QB realistically be on the hot seat? As for Jansen, Daniels and Griffin, they wouldn't be on the hot seat because no one's really questioning their worth...in fact, most people devalue their worth and feel that if all three of those players even have average years the Skins will consider themselves lucky lol. The hot seat is reserved for high profile players who have yet to live up to the hype. Simms, Daniels and Griffin aren't exactly high profile, hype-generating players anymore lol...everyone knows that all three have needed replacements to be drafted or signed for a year or two now.

I think Aaron Rodgers has more security than Jason Campbell and Alex Smith. I think Smith has the least room to struggle because he has done so poorly. Campbell has had moments and had a 77 rating, so I wouldn't think he's on the hot seat just yet, although he may be at the end of the year.

Definitely agree with all of that...Aaron Rodgers is nowhere near being on a hot seat, imo. Campbell's seat is getting a little warm...and Alex Smith's seat should be blazing.

Stopped reading after I saw LT's name. This list is a joke.:doh:

By the way, Chad Johnson is not a "dancer", more like a "cancer".

hahaha, me too. horrible article, with the exception of the McScab and Mr. Horse collar tackle bit.

If Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys stuggle, though, there will be an ungodly amount of criticism piled on top of Romo sits to pee, so much that even I will think it's unfair...but I'll still love seeing it anyway lol :cool:

He got off easy for vacationing during their bye then falling apart against the Giants. I don't think there will be alot of piling on from the media.

I disagree...if the Cowboys start off hot again and Romo sits to pee has a similar year to last year (stats-wise), the media will be championing him and the Cowboys like crazy. For one, they'll be patting themselves on the back saying how right they were about Romo sits to pee and the Cowboys being the obvious pick for the Super Bowl. Every Sportscenter will begin with a stillshot of Romo sits to pee's head behind the anchor and some comment about yet again how well he played. No way in hell does the media pass up a chance to both puff out their chests AND promote the Cowboys.

I agree. If the Cowboys play like last year starting 12-1 & Romo sits to pee/offense scoring 30+ pts/game, you may want to keep the TV turned off. Odds are NE (or anyone) won't be going undefeated & shattering offensive scoring records again. Thus, w/o a story like the Pats this year, the exposure on the Boys would be a media tsunami.

My original comment about Romo sits to pee getting little credit was made in the context of the ATN. If Romo sits to pee/Cowboys played similarly well leading up to December, there would be many that would not give Romo sits to pee much credit. Stating the first 3/4 of the season don't mean anything. Of course, if he doesn't have a great Sep-Nov many people will probably have a field day here picking him apart. Really a no-win situation for Romo sits to pee until the last few games of the season.

I just wanted to add to this that Romo sits to pee is the new Favre, in terms of media love, especially if he continues to make those plays off crazy snaps and stuff that make the highlight reels explode. They just love that. Plus it doesn't hurt that he plays for the Cowboys. He can do no wrong.

I bet if he had a rating of like 66.6, they'd probably find some kind of an excuse like "his thumb was hurting him, or its all T.O.'s fault". I honestly cannot see any way he's on the hot seat. He's too much of a media darling.

I agree. If the Cowboys play like last year starting 12-1 & Romo sits to pee/offense scoring 30+ pts/game, you may want to keep the TV turned off. Odds are NE (or anyone) won't be going undefeated & shattering offensive scoring records again. Thus, w/o a story like the Pats this year, the exposure on the Boys would be a media tsunami.

My original comment about Romo sits to pee getting little credit was made in the context of the ATN. If Romo sits to pee/Cowboys played similarly well leading up to December, there would be many that would not give Romo sits to pee much credit. Stating the first 3/4 of the season don't mean anything. Of course, if he doesn't have a great Sep-Nov many people will probably have a field day here picking him apart. Really a no-win situation for Romo sits to pee until the last few games of the season.

Nah, Romo sits to pee will just be given every excuse in the book either way. If Romo sits to pee has a good first 3/4 of the season, then he will still be Madden's darling and all those ESPN commentators will fall in love with him. Maybe one or two guys will comment about the playoffs, but if he's driving up the ratings, they'll drive up the love for him.

And if Romo sits to pee starts off bad, they'll make excuses for him (or outright lies) the same way they say that Roy Williams is a good safety. :laugh:

Archived