Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is D.C.'s most popular athlete? [this time, it's for #2]

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

A year has passed folks and D.C. sports has been through some major changes. We now have the top team in MLB and a true franchise QB.

Now, before we beat a dead horse, we all know that RGIII is now the most popular athlete in the land so no need to go on and on about how the Skins are the most popular team.

This question is, who is second in charge to RGIII in the district?

For one, I think there is zero chance Harper is bigger than Strasburg at this point. Either nationally or locally but this is a local argument regardless. Harper isn't even the most popular rookie in baseball right now. Wall I still think is substantially below Ovechkin. Ovechkin's place is tough right now because the Capitals have hit a wall and are going through yet another coaching change but when I walk around Boston if I see any D.C. gear it's likely a Capitals Ovechkin shirt. For my money it's between Strasburg and Ovechkin. The hooplah over Strasburg's innings limit really has an impact. For the record, until the Nationals win a playoff series, this season is no better than the Caps in 09-10 except the Caps blew away the league from day one.

Right now, I would have say Stars and Gio. But I still think Ovi is king, But if the NHL doesn't comeback and the Nats falter in the playoffs, I wouldn't be shocked to see John Wall sky rocket to the second spot. As far as DC goes he is already number two, but when you factor in the whole DMV, he is probably number 5.....

But why Bryce over Stras? Stras literally had the entire area arguing over an innings limit for months. And he was an All-Star.

Only reason why I can think of is people hearing about this kid coming up as a 19 year old. I think it's a tie between the two. If we could have a 2a and a 2b, they would go in either slot.

Only reason why I can think of is people hearing about this kid coming up as a 19 year old. I think it's a tie between the two. If we could have a 2a and a 2b, they would go in either slot.

True but that's no different than when Strasburg came up and he was WAY more hyped. Plus his debut was historic.

I'm not saying it's not true but we hear #37's name way more this season than Harper's.

Maybe, I just don't think people care that much about the WNBA. But if it is one woman that could do it, it is Brittany Griner. She is a beast....

I just said it tongue in cheek, but she would put the Mystics at the top if they were able to land her. They have a very loyal fanbase (per WNBA standards) and with the WNBA not doing so hot in the ratings, she would be an instant boon to the league and Washington with her and RG3 representing Baylor.

I just said it tongue in cheek, but she would put the Mystics at the top if they were able to land her. They have a very loyal fanbase (per WNBA standards) and with the WNBA not doing so hot in the ratings, she would be an instant boon to the league and Washington with her and RG3 representing Baylor.

I wish the Mystics well on principle but I will pay zero attention to them.

I think some of you are forgetting the word, "popular." You can't bring stats to a popularity contest. Right now I think Ovie is the 2nd most popular. I think you'd see more Ovie jerseys then Stras or Harper jerseys, because he's had longer success and the other 2 guys are relatively newer.

One thing in Ovechkin's favor is he single-handedly made the Caps a premier franchise with nightly sellouts. Nobody else on this list has had that kind of impact.

Archived