Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strange question, but could RGIII be the Redskins first franchise qb since Baugh

Burgold

I was thinking it might be Sonny, but Sonny was benched for Kilmer and there was that I like Billy I like Sonny thing. Could that happen with a true bonefide franchise QB? If you're the guy you're the guy, right?

Then there's Joe Theismann... Well, Joe was a very good qb for a couple of years, but he wasn't highly enough thought of to be drafted and played in Canada. When he got here he was third string and wound up returning punts! Would you risk your franchise qb returning punts! When he finally got his chance he was good and in fact in 83 he set some nice records, but it was really Riggo and the Hog's team. So, was Joey T. a "franchise qb?" More importantly, Jay Schroeder replaced him seamlessly as did Williams, Rypien, etc. Shouldn't there have been a huge drop off in play if Joe was the guy?

Is it possible that this team has not had a "franchise qb" since slinging Sammy Baugh?

Someone said to me that it was giving up the world for a QB, I asked who was the last Redskins franchise QB? They said Rypien, that's who they remember as the last good QB. I said but he was not a franchise guy, then they said Williams, NOPE, then Joe, NOPE. They really could not come up with someone, well like you I agree Sonny was probably about the only true franchise QB the Redskins have had in modern era and recent past. I don't know anyone before that time but there may have been someone. RG3 or Luck will be the only modern era franchise QB this team has had. Our success as a team depends on their ability to play and lead. If they do the trade was a brilliant move, if the don't well not so much.

I think the plan was for Heath Shuler to be a franchise QB. Just because we draft one really high, doesn't mean it's automatically going to work out.

That being said, I love this move and am very excited about Griffin III in Washington. I don't think there's much chance he is another Heath Shuler.

Then there's Joe Theismann... Well, Joe was a very good qb for a couple of years, but he wasn't highly enough thought of to be drafted and played in Canada.

Is it possible that this team has not had a "franchise qb" since slinging Sammy Baugh?

Theismann was drafted in the 4th round by the Dolphins. The thing about the Theismann is that the Hogs and Riggo made up for his faults. Anyway, yeah I would say RG3 could be our first franchise QB since Baugh. Hopefully it works out better than Shuler. Shuler & Norv were suppose to be a match made in heaven.

You have to define first what franchise QB means to you. I don't think Sonny being benched down the line negates his accomplishments prior. Montana was let go in favor of Steve Young, but Joe was still a franchise QB for the 49ers.

IMO, a franchise QB is one who is with the team for at least 5 seasons, joins them at a relatively young age, and helps the team to the playoffs and a several playoff wins for most of their seasons with the team and/or gets the team to a Superbowl win and/or several Superbowl appearances..

Without such a definition Brees would not qualify as a franchise QB for the Saints, but under such a definition Theismann qualifies as does Jim Kelly.

I think my definition is simpler.

A franchise QB is the face of the team who leads that team to greatness.

When we think of the Gibbs 'skins teams... we probably think of the Hogs, the Posse, the Smurfs, Riggo, Mann and Manley, Darrell Green, Art Monk all before we get to Joe Theismann. Joe wasn't the face of the team or the spirit/voice of the team. He was one of its leaders and the team believed in him esp. in 82, 83 and 84, but he wasn't the guy the franchise was built around.

He could be if he leads the team to greatness. Let's not put the cart before the horse.

Campbell could have been, Ramsey could have been, Trent Green could have beens. We have had a lot of could have beens around these parts.

Agreed. I'm certainly not stating "is" I'm wondering more whether if we haven't had one since Baugh.

Theisman was an example of a not-so-elite franchise QB. He was our QB and leader as long as he could play at his current level. Baring leg injury, he would have stayed our QB quite a while. Phil Simms was another. Boomer Esiason, Eli before he turned it on last season, and Trent Green, are others.

You could not be more wrong if you tried. Joe Theismann was the key to the 82-84 run. No Theismann and that team wins nothing. The most replaceable piece of that team was the most hyped, Riggins.

As for the mythic "franchise" QB label, Luck or Griffin will have the same expectations we had for Shuler in 1994 and the last franchise QB we had was Joe Theismann. He was the unquestioned starter for 8 seasons. That's a franchise QB. Doesn't matter where he was drafted or sat on the bench longer than he should have because Allen was a young playerphobe.

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Let's try. Ade Jimoh was a far better cornerback even as a rooki than Darrell Green ever was in his prime. Enron was the best long term investment of all time and anyone who ever sold stock in the company is a fool. The Sun is the coldest object in the solar system. The Eagles are the greatest Superbowl winning team of all time!

How'd I do?

A franchise QB is the face of the team who leads that team to greatness.

It's a good start, but this definition leaves us with a tough choice to make: either Dan Marino was never a franchise quarterback; or 8 wins and 10 losses in the playoffs, with no championships, qualifies as greatness.

It also leaves us with a couple questions:

Can a quarterback set the single-season passing yardage record, and still not be a franchise quarterback? Apparently so, by this definition, if he's stuck on a mediocre team, like Sonny was.

And, can a quarterback be the MVP of the league and still not be a franchise QB? I'd say no, that doesn't even pass the laugh test.

Which is why Joe Theismann would be our last true franchise QB.

If RGIII is the real deal, he will be our first true franchise QB since Baugh. Can't you believe that? We haven't drafted a great (or even good QB for that matter) since the great depression. The only other great QB the Redskins have ever had was Sonny Jurgensen and we got him from Philadelphia. Then again, I guess you could say the same about the Bears who haven't had a great QB on their roster since Sid Luckman.

I was talking about this with a Packer fan just this morning. First, crying over the fact they are experiencing back-to-back franchise QB's.

I made the comment you have to go back to Sammy Baugh. A player drafted by the skins, played his entire career with the skins and made it into the HOF.

Sonny and Joey T. were not drafted by the skins and everyone else never played what I would call a career with the skins.

Just my two cents.

I don't think there is a set formula for "franchise" QB. For example, I consider Archie Manning a franchise QB even though his record as a starter was 35–101–3 (26.3%), the worst in NFL history among QBs with at least 100 starts.

Maybe he is the only exception?

:helmet: The Rook

Sonny and Joey T. were not drafted by the skins and everyone else never played what I would call a career with the skins.

Just my two cents.

The Joey T. thing is pretty weak.

The Redskins were the only NFL team Joey T played for. He was groomed behind two veteran QB's. He led his teams to Super Bowls. As a kid, my opinion was Joey T should have been the starting QB from day 1.

Joey T is only known as a Redskin.

The only 2 possibilities since Baugh are Sonny and Joe.

Sonny played at a HOF level for a reasonable period of time. The team built around him. I think he definitely qualifies.

Joe is the tough one. He played exceptionally well and executed the offense from about 1981-1985. That's a 4 year stretch. Can you call a guy a franchise guy after 4 years? eh. I dunno. I tend to say the last true Franchise QB the 'Skins had was Sonny. Joe just wasn't around long enough. And, as previously stated, while he played at an exceptionally high level, those teams were built around OL and RB. Riggins and the Hogs were the focus of 1982 and 1983 successes. I dunno. Love him as the QB, but I'm not sure he's the franchise guy.

I was talking about this with a Packer fan just this morning. First, crying over the fact they are experiencing back-to-back franchise QB's.

I made the comment you have to go back to Sammy Baugh. A player drafted by the skins, played his entire career with the skins and made it into the HOF.

Just my two cents.

If drafting the QB is a requirement then GB doesn't get to count Favre, yet you counted him.

Archived