Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would Stanford have beat the Skins?

skinsarethebest

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Lets be real here. The difference in talent level between any college team and any pro team is massive. If the Skins were an undisiplined, poorly coached wreck then they might have a chance of losing. As it stands now, against a college team, they would dominate in a way that boggles comprehension. This is especially true of a team like Stanford which essentially runs NFL schemes. If the college team was running something like the triple option or the zone read it would have novelty on its side, and take the Skins out of their comfort zone. As it stands now, however, they would just be trying to match talent to talent against a team that is more talented across the board with the possible exception of QB.

It would be the biggest blowout win for the Skins of the season, even if we started our 3rd string QB Beck.

A large part of the NFL is comprised of the best of best from the college system. There's a saying, I believe it's a saying anyway, that even the worst NFL team beats the best college team fairly easily. The NFL is professional level, money only pays the best of the best (in theory and in general), most college players don't make it to the NFL, the talent gap between NFL and college is significant, hence the saying.

If the college team was running something like the triple option or the zone read it would have novelty on its side, and take the Skins out of their comfort zone.

I'd actually expect a triple option or zone read type of offense to fail catastrophically in a matchup against a pro team, even moreso than a pro-style offense would. Those types of offenses essentially just prey upon a speed advantage and lack of discipline that simply doesn't exist at the professional level.

I'd actually expect a triple option or zone read type of offense to fail catastrophically in a matchup against a pro team, even moreso than a pro-style offense would. Those types of offenses essentially just prey upon a speed advantage and lack of discipline that simply doesn't exist at the professional level.

I think this thread is one of the sillier hypothetical discussions I've seen around here in awhile, but I definitely agree with this.

No college team could run an option or zone read against an NFL team. That's a joke.

There is no college team that can beat an NFL team. The Carolina Panthers, the current worst team in the NFL, would handle Stanford, Auburn, Oregon, etc. Think of it in this way, every player on the Redskins was good enough to make it to the NFL. Not even a lot of Stanford will make it to the NFL. That's the comparison in talent. Luck would spend most of the day on his back or on the sidelines.

Triple options work against many teams from teams like Navy and Air Force, which are not exactly recruiting powerhouses. It was like when Miami started using a running back as their QB, it worked precisely because nobody was used to playing against it. It is the sort of thing that causes lack of discipline because it isnt seen often.

Now I agree with you, because no college offense could execute against an NFL defense for more than occasional plays. However, something that is gimmicky would be more likely to work because it shies away from matching talent against talent. I guess that was my point.

Skins would win but there are a lot of positions Stanford > the Skins.

Howell > our FS's

Fua > Bryant

Beeler > Rabach

Luck > our QBs

Marecic > Sellers

Taylor > our RBs

Phillips (BTW A HIGHLY UNDERRATED GUARD) > Montgomery

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 05:37 AM ----------

I doubt it. Beeler is a first-team All-American. Phillips and DeCastro are both future NFL guards as well. Phillips will be a mid-round pick this year and DeCastro has Day 1 potential once he comes out in 2012.

Luck's never had to deal with the speed of a full speed pro rush, which is another few notches and more up from the level he's used to playing at. Or every other aspect of a regular season pro game come to that.

I wouldn't be so quick to say he'd do better than any of the 'Skins current QB's method man, whatever his prospects.

Hail.

Too bad this thread wasn't started a few days ago. Might have gotten a superlative nomination for worst thread of the year.

Take any college team you want. Matt Leinart's Trojans or VY's Longhorns, this year's Tigers or Ducks...doesn't matter. They would have gotten murdered by the Lions 0-16 squad. Whatever talent they have at the skill positions, the o-line would get absolutely punished by a 4-man rush every down. Like the Georgia/Hawaii bowl game with Colt Brennan but worse. Anyone who votes yes is either a Dallass fan or a moron (or, as is the case with most Dallass fans, both)

No way could Stanford or anyone else in college beat us. This is just more Andrew Luck hysteria and there's a 15 page thread already on this.

BUT let me throw this one into the pot - the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team. Think about it. Physically most of that team is still dominating in the NFL, so then it's a matter of coaching/scheme.

I think that 2001 Miami team is the only college team that could come close

No way could Stanford or anyone else in college beat us. This is just more Andrew Luck hysteria and there's a 15 page thread already on this.

BUT let me throw this one into the pot - the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team. Think about it. Physically most of that team is still dominating in the NFL, so then it's a matter of coaching/scheme.

I think that 2001 Miami team is the only college team that could come close

That team was also 20 years old. While they are "still" dominating the NFL, the are older, stronger, and smarter now than they were then.

A bunch of 20-22 year olds won't beat our team. In fact it might be dangerous. Our players hit too hard, are too good with the scheme and stronger, older, smarter, etc...

Nearly every player on an NFL team dominated in college, not every player on Stanford dominated during college, just a handful. There's no way a college team beats an NFL team. We're talking guys who were all really great and some who were the best in college vs about 5 guys that are great in college, one who is the best, and 16 others who are pretty good college players that don't have NFL talent or ability.

A lot of our guys aren't very good vs NFL talent, but all of them were great vs college talent, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 12:13 PM ----------

Sadly... 13 people think otherwise:ols:

13 very misguided people who apparently don't have any comprehension of the difference between college and the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if these same people think their highschool team would have beat the Skins this year. I can hear the many, "yeah, that guy on my highschool team would have been awesome in the NFL", ignoring the fact that he never even played in college.

I'd venture to say that they would have a hard time telling the difference in talent between pop warner and the Pro Bowl.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

That team was also 20 years old. While they are "still" dominating the NFL, the are older, stronger, and smarter now than they were then.

A bunch of 20-22 year olds won't beat our team. In fact it might be dangerous. Our players hit too hard, are too good with the scheme and stronger, older, smarter, etc...

I'd be okay watching Orakpo, Landry, Alexander, and Barnes make people vomit over and over again. Sounds like fun.

i'd also like to point out the complete size difference in the nfl vs. college. clay matthews his freshman year was something like 180. guys like banks and sproles are exceptions, but they're more college sized guys. you see it every draft, this guy needs to add weight to his frame. doesn't have ideal size and strength.

to think otherwise is just ridiculous.

and quit sipping the stanford kool aid method man. ryan leaf was probably better than a lot of nfl quarterbacks, until he got to the nfl.

Archived