Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ben Hamilton could add much needed depth

Dana87

Broncos | Not expected to re-sign Hamilton

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:03:40 -0800

Frank Schwab, of the Colorado Springs Gazette, reports the Denver Broncos are not expected to re-sign impending free-agent OG Ben Hamilton.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Signing Hamilton could help the Redskins O-Line depth by getting a OG that already knows the zone blocking system that Coach Shanahan will install this season.

He may but he's 32 and will be 33 when the season starts. Questionable. He doesn know the system though and has been very durable.

If the Redskins implement Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, he would know the system better than anyone else.

Also, if he was brought in, Hamilton would be a starter not just "depth." If that's what the OP meant, then sorry...I misunderstood you.

Stop gap, but not a bad idea.

:whoknows:

I know the Skins o-line needs to get younger, but if the Skins bring him in and he's playing better than the youngsters then I'm all for it until Shanahan can find a younger guard to mold into his zone blocking system.

We could definitely sign him for now, I'm sure he'll be better than anyone we have on the roster next year to be playing. And this makes this draft less of a pressure cooker for finding good o-linemen, since we have a good young center/guard now and this guy, who can probably play for another 2 years and play better than average. Gives us time to find more linemen and groom them before putting them in.

We could definitely sign him for now, I'm sure he'll be better than anyone we have on the roster next year to be playing. And this makes this draft less of a pressure cooker for finding good o-linemen, since we have a good young center/guard now and this guy, who can probably play for another 2 years and play better than average. Gives us time to find more linemen and groom them before putting them in.

Agreed 100%. Ben Hamilton will come in and be one of our best o-linemen immediately, but not for much longer. Develop the youngsters beneath him, and let Ben help the transition.

If the Redskins implement Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, he would know the system better than anyone else.

Also, if he was brought in, Hamilton would be a starter not just "depth." If that's what the OP meant, then sorry...I misunderstood you.

Not only would Hamilton be a good coach for the OL he can also play all three interior line positions.

Has he ever started at center for an extended period?

No, but all he played in college was Center. He started out as a guard in Denver because Schlereth retired. I think eventually Shanny was going to move him to C,but he did such a good job at G he thought better of it. He could be a backup Center for the Skins. He took a few snaps there over the years but not many.

I love the idea. I know he is on the wrong side of 30 but he immediately fills Randy's void. Less pressure to take OL at #4. I know we need OTs but Okung at #4 is a reach for me. Ive been reading up on him and watched a game he played in. He runs hot and cold. He isn't a consistent dominant OT. IMO thats not value at #4 its a reach. I wont be mad if we take him because help is needed. I just hope we pass on him and take someone worth of value at #4.

So funny how everyone's is into developing our own young players, but the second somebody becomes available with ties, its "sign him sign him!" We might be able to win 9 games in '10!!!! :doh:

Patience is a virtue....a virtue that is completely missing in DC.

With 5 draft picks we aren't changing the entire line this year. FA needs to be used for depth, especially guys that understand Shannys system. He'll come pretty cheap, so it's a good idea whether he starts or not.

Signing guys like Haynesworth or Hall to big contracts is "win now" thoughts. Signing depth guys like Hamilton are hardly because the lack of patience.

A 32 year old guy can be depth. He's a lot better depth than we had last year - experienced and durable who already knows the coaching staff.

What he should not be considered is a starter. Too old. He can certainly fill in when another guard tweaks an ankle or a knee, or even fill in for a couple of games if the injury is more serious. But don't plan on changing the draft board because you found "depth'.

Draft OL. It's the only way to build.

He & Rabach are the same age, so we wouldn't be getting any older or younger at the position, but I get the feeling that Hamilton's NFL shelf life is longer than Casey's at this point, and Casey has had too many holding penalties for my taste the last few years. Plus he knows Shanny's system which is a plus, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him here. Would he be brought in here as a C or a RG?

Archived