Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Rock vocalist of all time 70's-present

ZoEd

I was in a nostalgic mood this past weekend so I put a couple old rock CD's in the car to listen to this week. Did a search this morning and saw a couple threads talking about greatest bands, 50's vs 00 and what not but nothing about just pure rock vocalist.

So what do ya'll think? Best rock vocalist from the classic rock of the 70's to present. Feel free to categorize.

Personally I feel like it's hard to beat Robert Plant in his prime but I'll give my top ten starting with him.

1. Robert Plant, Zeppelin

2. Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maiden

3. Dennis DeYoung, Styx

4. Sebastian Bach, Skid Row

5. Ozzy, Black Sabbath

6. Steven Tyler, Aerosmith

7. Freddy Mercury, Queen

8. Chris Cornell, Soundgarden

9. Steve Perry, Journey

10. Axl Rose, Guns and Roses

So, like the band or not who do you think has the best vocals?

ive read some interesting articles on Plants voice - he hated how he sang, and most of their studio recordings are doctored to hell because of it.

its pretty tough to hear his voice and not think its awesome, so its weird. ill try to find this article. its very interesting.

Robert Plant and it isn't particularly close.

I'd swap out Axl for Hetfield (might not be the better pure voice, but longevity counts for something to me) and move Freddy Mercury higher on the list.

I agree with Hetfield to an extent. What I find ironic is when he learned how to sing on the Black album most Metallica fans hated his singing. His vocals have steadily evolved along with overall quality of the entire group instrumentally, minus Jason Newstead, I still think he's a better bassist.

Robert Plant and it isn't particularly close.

I'd swap out Axl for Hetfield (might not be the better pure voice, but longevity counts for something to me) and move Freddy Mercury higher on the list.

I agree with Hetfield to an extent. What I find ironic is most Metallica fans thought the band became sellouts when he learned how to sing on the "Black" album. His vocals and the bands overall quality has continued to evolve, except for Jason Newstead leaving, I still think he's a better bassist.

I agree with Hetfield to an extent. What I find ironic is when he learned how to sing on the Black album most Metallica fans hated his singing. His vocals have steadily evolved along with overall quality of the entire group instrumentally, minus Jason Newstead, I still think he's a better bassist.

He blew out his vocals around that time, he had to learn how to sing.

Black album was my first cd of theirs, I think I was 11 so I didn't mind :)

Rock was born in the summer of 55, so why is this "all time from 70's on"?

And why is Ronnie James Dio not on that list? Love him or hate him, he may be shorter than Chase Daniels little brother, but in his 60's and that dude can freaking wale.

Because I didn't want to start a thread just so we can sit here and argue about Elvis being better than James Brown or vice versa, I think it's been discussed about a billion times.

I agree RJD can wail but it's my top ten list, so make your own if you don't like it!:D

He blew out his vocals around that time, he had to learn how to sing.

Black album was my first cd of theirs, I think I was 11 so I didn't mind :)

I remember that. If I remember one of the interviews he said he could barely make it through a tour sinking the way he did before so he took vocal lessons to learn how to sing properly. His vocals have steadily gotten better IMO.

Capt. Kaos, I agree Staley's vocals are amazing. I actually forgot about him and would probably move him up into my top five. I love his vocals with Mad Season. Unfreaking real.

I don't think I could make a choice but I can say for sure that Axl Rose does not belong on the list.

Seriously? Axl may be a basket case but dude could sing.

Honorable mentions to

David Coverdale, Whitesnake

Jeff Keith, Tesla

Joey Tempest, Europe

Geddy Lee, Rush

Roger Daltry, The Who

:rotflmao:

Top 20 may cover the best of the best but would still leave off quite a few

Maybe if you categorized it but then we'd be arguing about what's classic, heavy metal, modern rock or whatever else. We'd be here all week. :silly:

Layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne staley layne stayley

or Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan Maynard James Keenan and no one else even comes close

Archived