Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Shopping Malls needed (DC area).

WigSkin

Fellow ES'ers, I seek some advice regarding that favourite subject of shopping :rolleyes:.

Mrs Wigskin and myself are booked for a week in DC mid-late Sept 09 (yeah I know its early and I should have waited until the Skins schedule came out in April, but a ridiculous offer from Virgin Atlantic meant I couldn't turn it down) so here's hoping the Skins are in town over the two weekends we are there and that the Pound perks up against the Dollar :doh:, I digress.

Anyway last year when we visited we ended up doing all sightseeing/no shopping :). This year however I cannot see myself getting off so easily, therefore I ask you which is the best one stop shopping destination? decent stores and somewhere with good food (more importantly where should I avoid?) also easy metro access is a must. Tried having a look on tripadvisor but didn't help much, just lots of warnings about Prince George Plaza?!?

Thanks in advance.

*I have a feeling this may be part 1 of several info requests! ;)

If you are flying on Virgin Atlantic then you are coming into Dulles Airport.

Very close to Dulles are the Leesburg Outlets and Dulles Town Center Mall, but neither are accessible by Metro.

If you've already done sightseeing in DC and are here for more than a week you might want to get a car and see the areas outside of DC and in the direction of Dulles - Blue Ridge Mountains/Skyline Drive, a couple of Civil War Battlefields, Harpers Ferry, Air & Space Museum at Dulles, towns like Middleburg/Leesburg etc

Where do you plan to stay?

If you've already done sightseeing in DC and are here for more than a week you might want to get a car and see the areas outside of DC and in the direction of Dulles - Blue Ridge Mountains/Skyline Drive, a couple of Civil War Battlefields, Harpers Ferry, Air & Space Museum at Dulles, towns like Middleburg/Leesburg etc

We have a whole lotta sightseeing to do yet so I doubt we'll be getting out of DC very much (this time anyway). Got a few Hotels in the offing, The Quincy, The Lombardy and One Washington Circle are all possibles at the mo' stayed in Dupont Circle last Sept which was nice. Any suggestions welcome.... ;)

We have a whole lotta sightseeing to do yet so I doubt we'll be getting out of DC very much (this time anyway). Got a few Hotels in the offing, The Quincy, The Lombardy and One Washington Circle are all possibles at the mo' stayed in Dupont Circle last Sept which was nice. Any suggestions welcome.... ;)

The Lombardy is much cooler than the Quincy. Nice old school atmosphere and they have their own restaurant/bar which is nice. The Quincy is more the kind of place I'd go for a business trip.

Take a trip out west and hit up the Leesburg Outlets.

Which is exactly like every other Prime Outlets in the country.

I'm not sure why anyone who come to DC and go to a mall. If you want to do some fun shopping, Eastern Market is the best bet (I'm assuming that the artists are back). And Pennsylvania Ave on Capitol Hill has some neat little shops.

Also, Dupont Circle for restaurants and neat shops.

Seriously, the Macys at Tysons is the same as the Macys in Seattle is the same as the Macys in Houston. Don't waste your time. And the Maggianos at Tysons is the same as every other Maggianos. I will never understand eating at a chain restaurant on vacation.

Also' date=' Dupont Circle for restaurants and neat shops.

Seriously, the Macys at Tysons is the same as the Macys in Seattle is the same as the Macys in Houston. Don't waste your time. And the Maggianos at Tysons is the same as every other Maggianos. I will never understand eating at a chain restaurant on vacation.[/quote']

It's still good food. I see what you're saying though. He could certainly go to Old Town Alexandria or Dupont for a more unique experience.

Also the guy is coming from the UK, I'm not sure he cares that the experience is different from other areas of the country, as long as it's American.

Thanks Guys, I have to say our reason for visiting isn't shopping based, just figured we are gonna want to buy some stuff whilst there and I don't want to waste time if there are some handy malls/areas etc.

As for eating at chains etc, I get what you mean. We tried to eat at different places last year; Kramerbooks, Old Ebitt Grill and the Palm etc avoiding the usual chains (bit disappointed in the Palm but the other two were superb!) :) again any reccs welcome especially Italian and Steaks!

Thanks Guys, I have to say our reason for visiting isn't shopping based, just figured we are gonna want to buy some stuff whilst there and I don't want to waste time if there are some handy malls/areas etc.

As for eating at chains etc, I get what you mean. We tried to eat at different places last year; Kramerbooks, Old Ebitt Grill and the Palm etc avoiding the usual chains (bit disappointed in the Palm but the other two were superb!) :) again any reccs welcome especially Italian and Steaks!

For Italian, go to Filomena Restaurante in Georgetown. My favorite little Chinese tea house is right there as well...Ching Ching Cha

As for shopping, people always seem to love Georgetown for shopping. Your woman will like that just fine. If you like high end shopping, Chevy Chase has a Tiffany's, and a Saks Fifth Ave. You could take a cab from wherever you are staying.

I do not think that driving to an outlet mall will be a highlight of your trip. I would recommend against it.

For the meat lover, you can go to Fogo de Chao, which is excellent. Even if you want to go just for the salad bar, you could make a meal out of the salad, chunks of parmesan, cured meats, cheeses, and bread. It's excellent.

If you are flying on Virgin Atlantic then you are coming into Dulles Airport.

Very close to Dulles are the Leesburg Outlets and Dulles Town Center Mall, but neither are accessible by Metro.

yeah the ghost tours in gettysburg are also pretty fun... not that i would get high and go see them or anything... :silly:

What places are these? Prime Outlets have good prices and

a great selection.

No. They used to, but now stores make items specifically for outlets.

Brooks Brothers has items in their outlets that cannot be purchased in their regular stores. Polo, as well. They're all like that now.

No. They used to, but now stores make items specifically for outlets.

Brooks Brothers has items in their outlets that cannot be purchased in their regular stores. Polo, as well. They're all like that now.

And the prices tend to be the same if not higher than similar items at chain department stores.

The only thing that I really like about the Outlets is that they do tend to have fun discount racks, where you can sometimes find good deals. But going to Leesburg or Hagerstown to buy jeans at the Levi Store is kind of insane.

Archived