Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins' Campbell Is Playing It Cool

brandymac27

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/18/AR2008091803501.html?sid=ST2008091803545&s_pos=Redskins' Campbell Is Playing It Cool

QB Thrives With More Confidence

By Jason Reid

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, September 19, 2008; Page E01

The leader of the Washington Redskins' offense exuded confidence. Quarterback Jason Campbell had shown strength during other tense situations, several of his teammates said yesterday, but this situation was different.

The Redskins were trailing the New Orleans Saints by two points late in the fourth quarter in their home opener Sunday. Campbell had been booed often as the offense failed to capitalize on earlier opportunities, and Washington got the ball back with 3 minutes 38 seconds to play.

The call came for a deep pass came from Coach Jim Zorn, and Campbell assured everyone in the huddle good things would happen as long as they performed their assignments well.

"I just told 'em, 'Here we go, guys. This is what we've been fighting for, working for, for the whole offseason. This is our opportunity. We've got the ball, and let's do something big,' " said Campbell, who was the subject of intense media and fan scrutiny after the season-opening loss to the New York Giants. "I told 'em that first play was going to be big, and guys were very confident in the huddle."

What followed was a 67-yard touchdown throw to wide receiver Santana Moss that completed the rally from a nine-point, fourth-quarter deficit in the 29-24 triumph.

In his fourth season, Campbell has asserted himself more in the locker room and on the field. He has shouldered much of the responsibility for the inevitable growing pains in the transition to Zorn's West Coast scheme, which is what he should do, the team captain said, while mentoring younger players.

Regardless of how outsiders view Campbell, he has the trust of the people he works closest with, teammates said. Washington hosts the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, and the Redskins are eager to see what Campbell does next.

"I've seen Jason from the moment he came here, and you can see that change in him," left tackle Chris Samuels said. "Whenever you get experience under your belt, you get more comfortable in a leadership role. Jason is being more vocal in practice, giving words of encouragement to the team, and then you see what he did in the last game. The way he stepped up, I was just so proud of him."

click link for rest of article

JC is ready for the next level. He just has to take the step. I'm seriously hoping that Zorn teaches JC to be confident when he throws. He needs to know that he has all types of weapons at his disposal and not be scared to use them.

It's a dumb analogy but it's almost like a toddler who needs to get that confidence to take that second step. He may fall a few times, but that second step will lead to the third and then fourth.

Come on JC, play w/ some swagger!

When fans booed and directed derogatory remarks at Campbell last week, he maintained his focus "because doing anything else would be letting down my teammates and coaches," he said. "The real fans, the true people, they will always be behind you, and you're always going to have the ones who only stick with you when things are going good. When things are going bad, you can never find them, but that's just part of this business, and that's how it goes."
JC lays the gauntlet down. I love it! :applause:
I can't help but feel that we always hear about how confident Campbell is. He always says the right things, but until he does the right thing on the field consistently, they're just words.

Jason would agree with you, so just wait and see.

If Jason continues playing the rest of the season like he played against the Saints, we will have a pro bowl QB on this team for many years to come.

One can only hope. It remains to be seen whether he can put it all together here in DC but it really bothers me the people who make it obvious they WANT the guy to fail.

Unlike a lot of first round QB's, Campbell has done everything the right way since he got here to DC. He put in countless hours in the film room and really has done his best to make himself a part of the DC community.

I respect the hell out of the guy for that alone and I am really pulling for him to put all his skills together and become the QB many of us feel he can be.

I have to agree with what Chris Samuels said.

One thing I noticed this sunday was that his voice at the line of scrimmage was BOOMING, it sounded proportionally louder and I saw a lot of saints defensive line movement when he was barking.

Hopefully Campbell is getting a little swagger and taking control of this team.

"The real fans, the true people, they will always be behind you"

Glad to hear him say this. Always supported him, always will.

Wow, this reads like a rebuttal of every negative nancy argument there is.

Great stuff from our starting QB. This guy's a warrior, and so many just don't realize it because of his humility in front of the cameras and on the mic.

I'm hoping the Bmitch and JLC types realize just how wrong they are when they claim "I'm just being realistic" everytime a player doesn't do the greatest job. How about you show some support instead of giving up so cowardly as soon as they don't do as well as you'd like, especially the younger guys?

Wow, this reads like a rebuttal of every negative nancy argument there is.

Great stuff from our starting QB. This guy's a warrior, and so many just don't realize it because of his humility in front of the cameras and on the mic.

I'm hoping the Bmitch and JLC types realize just how wrong they are when they claim "I'm just being realistic" everytime a player doesn't do the greatest job. How about you show some support instead of giving up so cowardly as soon as they don't do as well as you'd like, especially the younger guys?

I think it's perfectly fine to acknowledge all the areas in which Campbell hasn't been getting it done. But if you do that, you also have to acknowledge the areas where improvement is showing and the times when he DOES get it done. The fans who only want to be supportive after Campbell has gone 11-5 and made the Pro Bowl are the ones that kinda irritate me...support him along the way, not just after he's arrived.

"I just told 'em, 'Here we go, guys. This is what we've been fighting for, working for, for the whole offseason. This is our opportunity. We've got the ball, and let's do something big,' " said Campbell, who was the subject of intense media and fan scrutiny after the season-opening loss to the New York Giants. "I told 'em that first play was going to be big, and guys were very confident in the huddle."

He said all that in the huddle? No longer they take so long to get to the line of scrimmage.

"At the request of offensive line coach Joe Bugel, Rabach helped Campbell with the protection calls against the Saints and plans to continue to do so until Campbell becomes comfortable."

I think this was a key contributor to the game. JC was calling the protection against the Giants and previous pre-season games. I hope they keep doing this until JC is ready to call it on his own.

Archived