Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Bledsoe On Board, Real Battle Is For Backup Job

HeHateMe

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=40BCA735-90D1-1BB4-15C9E9C00ABC452C

Hooray! Part 10. Finally! (Thats for you PCS;))

The criticism has been minimal thus far.

Cant wait to see what everyone has to say about Bledsoe.

What I will say though is that if he is given adequate protection and if Julius can carry the load, he will have a very good season.

Two big if's, I know, but the line is greatly improved and Julius showed us last year he has the potential to carry the load, and then some.

With Bledsoe On Board, Real Battle Is For Backup Job

By Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

July 22, 2005, 5:45 PM (CDT)

(Editor's Note: This is the last of a 10-part series, DallasCowboys.com analyzing the Cowboys position-by-position as they begin final preparations for the July 28 start to training camp. Today will feature the quarterbacks.)

IRVING, Texas - The training camp site of Oxnard, Calif., has been good to a lot of people involved with the Cowboys.

The players love getting out of the Texas heat and into temperatures rarely escaping the 70's for two-a-days. The same goes for the coaches and staff, along with the faithful fans who get there early and stay late, hoping to obtain as many autographs and pictures as possible.

But if history means anything, the Cowboys' starting quarterback should be just a little nervous heading to Oxnard.

Twice the Cowboys have set up camp at the River Ridge Sports Complex, and twice they've surprisingly sent their starting quarterback packing - just cutting him on the spot.

Now making cuts is a part of training camp. Every team does that, and the Cowboys are certain to release a few players again this year during camp. But the projected starting quarterback is usually safe from the pink slip.

However, the Cowboys surprised Tony Banks in 2001, sending him on his way one morning after deciding to turn the starting job over to rookie Quincy Carter. And we all remember Carter's shocking exit last year, when the Cowboys vaguely released the starting quarterback who led them to a 10-6 record and a playoff appearance the previous season.

So as the Cowboys head back to Oxnard for a third time next Thursday, should Drew Bledsoe actually be setting up his own return flight?

No, Bledsoe should feel rather secure, not only in completing the entire training camp with the Cowboys, but, barring injury, remaining the starting quarterback for the season opener in San Diego on Sept. 11.

For the first time since Troy Aikman retired after the 2000 season, there doesn't seem to be any question who will start at quarterback for the Cowboys.

Bledsoe rejoins head coach Bill Parcells, who actually drafted him No. 1 back in 1993 as a member of the Patriots. And that familiarity alone, coupled with Bledsoe's 12 years of experience, shouldn't make for any anxious moments some morning during camp.

The NFL's 10th all-time leading passer (39,808 yards), Bledsoe is actually an upgrade in terms of age. Not many teams can sign a 33-year-old quarterback and still get eight years younger at the position. Many thought the Cowboys would re-sign Vinny Testaverde, the 41-year-old who started 15 games last season.

But once Bledsoe became available, after he was released by the Bills in late February, it was an easy choice for Parcells, who doesn't hesitate to sign former players. This off-season, he has brought in Jason Ferguson and Aaron Glenn. Previously, he had reunited with the likes of Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Richie Anderson, Eric Ogbogu and even Testaverde since arriving two years ago.

Now while Bledsoe should handle the starting duties, that doesn't mean competition will be scarce at the position.

In fact, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday he is excited about the depth at quarterback, not only from the addition of Bledsoe, but also by the progress of youngsters Drew Henson and Tony Romo sits to pee.

"I think Bledsoe gives us a chance to compete," Jones said. "And our young quarterbacks . . . if anything happens there (with Bledsoe). We're pretty sound at quarterback, so we ought to be able to take the ups and downs that you might get with that."

When asked to name a few players who have stood out with their off-season work, Jones named Henson, who has thrown more than 6,000 passes this summer, trying to work on his mechanics and throwing motion, along with developing a rapport with some of the team's younger wide receivers.

"Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with the work that Henson got in with all of those throws and how he's just continued to work," Jones said.

After last season, his first year of football since the 2000 season at Michigan, Henson needed a lot of work. While he did start one game in place of a slightly injured Testaverde, Henson was pulled at halftime of the Cowboys' Thanksgiving Day win over Chicago.

The rookie had thrown an interception that was returned for the Bears' only touchdown and had failed to move the offense effectively in his two quarters. Testaverde relieved him to start the second half, and led the Cowboys to the 21-7 win.

Henson never played again the rest of the season, despite Parcells stating several times toward the end of the year he wanted to get both Henson and Romo sits to pee some playing time. But with the Cowboys still mathematically alive in the NFC playoff hunt up until the final two weeks of the season, Parcells stuck with Testaverde, stating the veteran still gave the team a better shot to win games.

Parcells shouldn't have that dilemma this year, at least early in the season. But he could have a tough decision on the backup. Both players are inexperienced to say the least, especially when you consider Romo sits to pee has yet to throw a pass in an NFL regular-season game.

Parcells might reveal his backup quarterback plans in preseason games, previously stating he likes to play his projected No. 2 guy third in a game, thinking the quarterback might gain much-needed confidence if he happens to rally the team to a come-from-behind victory.

And that's what happened last year with Romo sits to pee, who seemed to be struggling just to keep his No. 3 status. Then he rallied the Cowboys to a comeback win in Oakland, where he scored the game-winning touchdown with just six seconds remaining, lifting the Cowboys to a 20-19 victory over the Raiders. He was named the backup to Testaverde for the first six games, before Henson took over the No. 2 spot.

And there is no reason to believe this flip-flopping of backups won't happen again this year.

The order, though, shouldn't be that big a deal, unless of course they become more than backups - a dilemma Parcells would just as soon do without.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

He better have his backups ready because Drew "TheStatue" Bledsoe will probably get injured at some point in the season.

He survived while getting destroyed in Buffalo.

Hopefully he can suck it up for 1 or 2 more years.

Cmon guys... I happen to appreciate articles that teach us a bit on our biggest rivals. As extremeskins fans, we certainly shouldnt be averse to knowing more about the teams we play the most.

This wasnt a rah-rah article for the Boyz, it gives us some insight into how the team might be aligning its roster by the time we play them.

Bash the opposing teams fans for trolling and spamming, but lets not bash them for giving us articles that teach us something about our rivals.

I've got to wonder why Buffalo had no issue with letting Bledsoe go.

Their rookie from last year I believe is coming back from a leg injury, and they signed Holcomb who's run hot and cold in Cleveland.

I'm not one to question Parcells, he wins more than he loses..... But Bledsoe only wins as much as he loses. Maybe I'm wrong about that...I think its pretty close to .500.

So, I don't know what they are expecting from him this year. I guess as much as we can expect from our guys based on their recent past.

Originally posted by Blade

Cmon guys... I happen to appreciate articles that teach us a bit on our biggest rivals. As extremeskins fans, we certainly shouldnt be averse to knowing more about the teams we play the most.

This wasnt a rah-rah article for the Boyz, it gives us some insight into how the team might be aligning its roster by the time we play them.

Bash the opposing teams fans for trolling and spamming, but lets not bash them for giving us articles that teach us something about our rivals.

Thank you very much B.

Appreciated.

As PCS knows, and as he has been diligently reading each and every one of the 11 articles I sent about the 2005 Dallas Cowboys, I do it for the same reasons I am here.

To learn more about the enemy.

And as we all know, you keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Again, thanks for the support.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Bufford

I've got to wonder why Buffalo had no issue with letting Bledsoe go.

Their rookie from last year I believe is coming back from a leg injury, and they signed Holcomb who's run hot and cold in Cleveland.

I'm not one to question Parcells, he wins more than he loses..... But Bledsoe only wins as much as he loses. Maybe I'm wrong about that...I think its pretty close to .500.

So, I don't know what they are expecting from him this year. I guess as much as we can expect from our guys based on their recent past.

Well, Bledsoe won a lot more than he lost when he was with Parcells.

Same with Testaverde, so I presume the success they had together along with the great comfort level, has a lot to do with Parcells basically allowing Bledsoe to "drive the bus".

Originally posted by Blade

Originally posted by HeHateMe

You do when you can't beat us every year. :D;)

The articles don't bother me, the commentary does.

Oh yeah, I forgot :D

:puke:

everyone critizies anytime the skins bring in an older player but Parcells brings in Greenballs and its the good old days. It doesnt workout and you dont hear a whole lot about it. The he brings in Bledsoe and again, people are optomistic. Hows is Bledsoe gonna be better

Yeah. Let's be clear on this. I give HeHateMe a hard time, but in good fun. We do that here. But rest assured I do read "some" of this, ;) . Like the man has been saying...that enemies thing.

And these do come in handy when the odd debate breaks out as well. Food for though fellows.

Archived