Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Bledsoe On Board, Real Battle Is For Backup Job

HeHateMe

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

So what happens when he starts taking a ton of sacks? What then?

The question shouldn't necessarily be the one phrased above, but one that asks "what happens when he starts taking a ton of sacks from people like Sean Taylor, Lavar Arrington, and Brian Dawkins?"

There's an old saying: shock is cumulative. At this stage in his career, Bledsoe has accumulated quite a bit of shock from all the hits he's taken. When he starts getting hit by the likes of Taylor and Dawkins, that's a whole different thing altogether. Apart from the sacks is the whole fear factor involved: Bledsoe will start to feel the heat and heave the ball out of bounds or make mistakes like he's known to have made in the past.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

He doesnt have to be "good again" all of a sudden per se.

Just needs to "drive the bus" and not throw INTs.

With a good running game and some protection, I think it can be done.

I understand what you're saying.

When you have the 2000 Raven's D, or the 2003 Tampa D. All you need is somebody to drive the bus, because their D's are loaded with Vet talent, who have been in the same system (defensive) for years.....and they can win the game.

I don't know what you would be waiting for though.

Switch to a 3-4 with some nice new talent....but many who haven't played this system before.

How soon do you think it'll all click?

Game 8? 10? This year at all for the D?

Originally posted by tr1

Have the 'Boys gotten rid of the side-arm throwing baseball player yet? I hope we get to see him in a game or two...

I actually was wondering if the Tuna is pulling a "Darko" on Henson.

Just keep him off the field until he's gone because of how long it might take to get him into the game....especially at this level.

Originally posted by goldenster95

The question shouldn't necessarily be the one phrased above, but one that asks "what happens when he starts taking a ton of sacks from people like Sean Taylor, Lavar Arrington, and Brian Dawkins?"

When he starts getting hit by the likes of Taylor and Dawkins, that's a whole different thing altogether. Apart from the sacks is the whole fear factor involved: Bledsoe will start to feel the heat and heave the ball out of bounds or make mistakes like he's known to have made in the past.

All the "hitters" don't play for the skins. Would it be fair to pose this same question towards Ramsey? Will Ramsey "start to feel the heat and heave the ball out of bounds or make mistakes like he's known to have made in the past?" Who has the better poise? We'll see.. I've seen Bledsoe look horrific in the pocket at times... but I can say the same for Ramsey. We'll see?

Originally posted by Bufford

I understand what you're saying.

When you have the 2000 Raven's D, or the 2003 Tampa D. All you need is somebody to drive the bus, because their D's are loaded with Vet talent, who have been in the same system (defensive) for years.....and they can win the game.

I don't know what you would be waiting for though.

Switch to a 3-4 with some nice new talent....but many who haven't played this system before.

How soon do you think it'll all click?

Game 8? 10? This year at all for the D?

You make a good point but it's comical to me how much "attention," (negative or positive) the switch to the 3-4 has created in Dallas. Many teams make the switch successfuly in only one season such as San Diego. Of course, Wade Phillips is a great DC but I don't even see great "talent" on their D so it can be done.

You make a good point but it's comical to me how much "attention," (negative or positive) the switch to the 3-4 has created in Dallas. Many teams make the switch successfuly in only one season such as San Diego. Of course, Wade Phillips is a great DC but I don't even see great "talent" on their D so it can be done.

Therein lies the difference. Wade Phillips has been coaching that scheme effectively forever. Zimmer has been coaching it for...well lemme think...never?

Parcells has changed over to the 3-4 everywhere he's been but he had a guy named Bill Belicheck at the controls everywhere he's been. Zimmer aint worthy of being BB's caddy let alone following in his defensive footsteps. It should help having Parcells looking over his shoulder (he was a DC for the Giants before becoming HC) but how is he going to game plan for the offense, call the offensive plays and direct the defense? Seems he'll be spread a bit thin.

As I've said many a times: This is Zimmer's swansong and the overhaul will be complete at the end of the season when he gets $hit canned. Then all the Cowboys will say that "Parcells finally has 'his guy' and NOW we can start our domination since that Zimmer guy won't be holding us back." The funny thing is - Zimmer was God just a little over 1 year ago and no Cowboy fans would have traded him for any DC in the league (the bandwagon fills up quicker in D than anywhere on earth). It was considered a coo back then when he stayed in Dallas over moving to Huskerville. Bet he wishes he took that gig now, eh?

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Therein lies the difference. Wade Phillips has been coaching that scheme effectively forever. Zimmer has been coaching it for...well lemme think...never?

Parcells has changed over to the 3-4 everywhere he's been but he had a guy named Bill Belicheck at the controls everywhere he's been. Zimmer aint worthy of being BB's caddy let alone following in his defensive footsteps. It should help having Parcells looking over his shoulder (he was a DC for the Giants before becoming HC) but how is he going to game plan for the offense, call the offensive plays and direct the defense? Seems he'll be spread a bit thin.

As I've said many a times: This is Zimmer's swansong and the overhaul will be complete at the end of the season when he gets $hit canned. Then all the Cowboys will say that "Parcells finally has 'his guy' and NOW we can start our domination since that Zimmer guy won't be holding us back." The funny thing is - Zimmer was God just a little over 1 year ago and no Cowboy fans would have traded him for any DC in the league (the bandwagon fills up quicker in D than anywhere on earth). It was considered a coo back then when he stayed in Dallas over moving to Huskerville. Bet he wishes he took that gig now, eh?

I have to agree with you. I'd be lying if If I said otherwise. Zimmer running a 3-4 is a concern even with BP overseeing the operation. I still think he's a good DC however and he will be using alot of 4-3 as well. Bottom line is weather running 4-3 or 3-4 health and talent is a big part of the equation. I think it's fair to say that we've upgraded in the talent and depth depth which gives Cowboy fans hope. Upgrades in the secondary should help as well. I have a hard time viewing the Boys D as worse than last years injury decimated unit but of course Boys fans will have a half full glass while you will view the glass as half empty.

I have to agree with you. I'd be lying if If I said otherwise. Zimmer running a 3-4 is a concern even with BP overseeing the operation. I still think he's a good DC however and he will be using alot of 4-3 as well. Bottom line is weather running 4-3 or 3-4 health and talent is a big part of the equation. I think it's fair to say that we've upgraded in the talent and depth depth which gives Cowboy fans hope. Upgrades in the secondary should help as well. I have a hard time viewing the Boys D as worse than last years injury decimated unit but of course Boys fans will have a half full glass while you will view the glass as half empty.

More like 1/4 empty.

I don't think anyone views the defense as worse than last season. Like our offense - it has nowhere to go but up. So you're really not going out on a limb by predicting improvement in the same way no Skins fan is causing jaws to drop by suggesting we can be 18th in the league in offense.

What I cling to if I'm a Cowboys fan is the fact that every year, there are 1 or 2 teams that go from bad defense to very good in one season. It can happen that fast with defenses. Unfortunately, it rarely if ever happens that fast with offenses. About the only one I can recall is the 1999 Rams.

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

well, Gregg Williams and our D is a good example of getting guys to max out.

But I think there are plenty of teams over the years who couldn't make the 3-4 leap.... not to mention the rookies who will be trying to learn it.

But.... you're most likely right....the D won't be bad. I just don't see them carrying the team for a year or two.

Archived