Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Bledsoe On Board, Real Battle Is For Backup Job

HeHateMe

Originally posted by SamSneed36

everyone critizies anytime the skins bring in an older player but Parcells brings in Greenballs and its the good old days. It doesnt workout and you dont hear a whole lot about it. The he brings in Bledsoe and again, people are optomistic. Hows is Bledsoe gonna be better

Well, what other team can sign a 35 yr old QB and say he's actually MUCH younger than last year's starter? It's a friggin' youth movement going on in Dallas....that's the reason for the optimism ;)

Both Testaverde and Bledsoe have been around long enough so that we know their faults and the only significant differences between these two are that VT has started 30 more games and has been sacked LESS than Bledsoe by 4 sacks. VT does throw more INTs but also has a higher Yds avg per pass attempt.

Without a lot of research, I think that VT has played on many more bad teams than Bledsoe so I look forward to many hits on this Cowboy QB

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Yeah. Let's be clear on this. I give HeHateMe a hard time, but in good fun. We do that here. But rest assured I do read "some" of this, ;) . Like the man has been saying...that enemies thing.

And these do come in handy when the odd debate breaks out as well. Food for though fellows.

And why not educate yourself on teams not named the Redskins?

There is football outside Washington. ;)

Never hurt to know more than just Redskins stuff.

The other intersting thing about beldsoe is for the last X number of years he has been playing on a team which had consistantly had a great defence . The Boys might be better than last year but they are not as good as the Bills on D and at WR they are pretty much a push when it come to comparisson with the tools Bledsoe had out there if not a little worse ...

The other intersting thing about beldsoe is for the last X number of years he has been playing on a team which had consistantly had a great defence . The Boys might be better than last year but they are not as good as the Bills on D and at WR they are pretty much a push when it come to comparisson with the tools Bledsoe had out there if not a little worse ...

It's hard to imagine Bledsoe improving on last year which is pretty much what he needs to do for the Cowboys to make the playoffs. He had a better supporting cast in Buffalo and a much better defense and special teams than the Cowboys will have in 2005. The Bills Oline last season is probably worse than the Cowboys will be this year though not markedly.

But hey, if the Cowboys want to dream that they have the Bledsoe and Glenn from 96 - then let them.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

It's hard to imagine Bledsoe improving on last year which is pretty much what he needs to do for the Cowboys to make the playoffs. He had a better supporting cast in Buffalo and a much better defense and special teams than the Cowboys will have in 2005. The Bills Oline last season is probably worse than the Cowboys will be this year though not markedly.

But hey, if the Cowboys want to dream that they have the Bledsoe and Glenn from 96 - then let them.

I dont recall anyone claiming that.

What I will say though is that many Cowboy fans are much more comfortable and happy with Bledsoe than Testaverde.

I dont recall anyone claiming that.

What I will say though is that many Cowboy fans are much more comfortable and happy with Bledsoe than Testaverde.

As Cowboy fans were much happier with Testeverde than Carter at this time last season. The popular cry was "look what he did in 98" with Parcells and Keyshawn. Boys fans (and you included earlier in this thread) talk of him getting pummeled in Buffalo as if he had some kind of leaky Oline and supporting cast which is false. Him getting "pummeled" had more to do with holding onto the ball too long than a poor OLine which is why the Bills said bye bye. And the Bills made few additions to their starting line this offseason which further supports that belief.

Improving on Testeverde is not saying a whole hell of a lot. If that's all you were looking to do, you could have coaxed Fran Tarkenton out of retirement. The fact is - considering the state of the rest of the team - the Cowboys will need their QB to take over a handful of games to challenge for the playoffs. And I just don't see that happening with a player like Bledsoe. Those days are long past.

I've also heard that all he needs to do is "drive the bus." Really? I didn't realize the bus was so nice in Dallas that all he needs to do is show up and not turn the ball over. I must have missed the fact that Dallas is the reincarnation of the 85 Bears. Amazing what a couple of overpaid free agents and a few draft choices can do for a team that was non-competitive for parts of 2004.

Hes got a very capable RB who can carry the load and then some.

Hes got veteran WRs who are capable of getting the job done.

Hes got a very solid O-Line at this point with a healthy Dan Campbell who is one of the best blocking TE's in the game.

And he has an excellent, save your butt, make something out of nothing, TE in Jason Witten who is only going to get better and better.

(All of this assuming everyone stays somewhat healthy of course.)

So the pieces are in place for him to "drive the bus", yes.

Whether he will be able to do it remains to be seen.

But hes got much better talent around him than Testaverde did.

A healthy and now 2nd year Julius Jones who has bulked up and who isnt scared like he was last season at this point.

Hes also the starter now. With no question about it. Makes the job a lot easier knowing you are the man to carry the load.

That couldnt be said last season. Vinny had a very old and slow Eddie George. (Who you, if you recall, said was a nice addition).

There is also considerable and capable depth at RB in case Julius goes down.

A healthy Terry Glenn and Quincy Morgan (as opposed to no Glenn, a constantly injured Morgan who didnt play much and Patrick Crayton who you should know pretty well).

A veteran line with 3 time Pro Bowler Marco Rivera who brings excellent veteran leadership to a line that sorely needs it. (There is a question at RT which could become an issue, but that will be addressed at the end of training camp).

And he has a defense that WILL create more turnovers, that WILL create a short field and that WILL NOT allow the 25 ppg they did last season.

Of course it wont all gel by September 11, but the pieces are there for him to "drive the bus".

Again, no one is expecting Bledsoe to Glenn from 96, just like no one expected Vinny and Key from 98 last season.

But knowing that Parcells seems to have an impact and seems to get the most out of certain players, its much more comforting to know he has "his guys" in there as opposed to the Quincy Carter, Troy Hambrick and Joey Galloway that he inherited.

But the fact that he made the playoffs with those players speaks even more to the incredible effect a great coach can have on a bunch of "underachievers".

Jones went out and added the players the Tuna wanted and needed.

Now it Parcells turn.

Am I expecting a Super Bowl berth?

Of course not.

But the 2004 team will be a distant memory at some point during the season.

Hes got a very capable RB who can carry the load and then some.

Hes got veteran WRs who are capable of getting the job done.

Hes got a very solid O-Line at this point with a healthy Dan Campbell who is one of the best blocking TE's in the game.

And he has an excellent, save your butt, make something out of nothing, TE in Jason Witten who is only going to get better and better.

(All of this assuming everyone stays somewhat healthy of course.)

So the pieces are in place for him to "drive the bus", yes.

Hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams.

J Jones can carry the load and thensome? Sure, it looks like he has a bright future but when exactly did he prove that he can carry the load for more than a month? He couldn't even stay healthy at Notre Dame.

Glenn hasn't played a full season since 2000. Counting on him to do anything besides stub his toe and miss a month is classic.

And when did your Oline become very solid? Having a question mark at a tackle position is a recipe for disaster. Amazing what the signing of a 50 year old guard can do for a line?

Agreed on Witten. But it's the only upgrade that Bledsoe will be seeing from his days in Buffalo.

But the fact that he made the playoffs with those players speaks even more to the incredible effect a great coach can have on a bunch of "underachievers".

And it was the worst thing that could have possibly happened as it gave that great coach a false sense of security. It set them back a year for a coach who has precious few years left.

But anyway - you seem to feel you are solid everywhere. You have a "great coach" and a reasonable schedule in the watered down NFC. You have players that "know" the system. Therefore, the playoffs should be a lock since you always beat us and the Giants are rebuilding. Right? Or maybe deep down, you realize that my assessments are closer to reality than yours?

Hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams.

Pretty much somes up every opinion this board consists of, eh? If you can "hope and dream" your receivers are better, if you can "hope and dream" your young quarterback, who is no better than Bledsoe at the moment, can get you to the Super Bowl, if you can "hope and dream" that your running back is going to pull of the same numbers he racked up in Denver and if you can "hope and dream" your defense can play the same way it did last season...well we can dream, too.

Fact is, your team is no better. So spouting off about hopes and dreams is something a fan of your team really shouldn't do.:rolleyes:

Especially since, in reality, that's all either of our fanbases have at the moment.

Pretty much somes up every opinion this board consists of, eh? If you can "hope and dream" your receivers are better, if you can "hope and dream" your young quarterback, who is no better than Bledsoe at the moment, can get you to the Super Bowl, if you can "hope and dream" that your running back is going to pull of the same numbers he racked up in Denver and if you can "hope and dream" your defense can play the same way it did last season...well we can dream, too.

I didn't say I have a problem with hoping that players become more than they are. Certainly, every Skins fan has that hope about Ramsey and the success of the team rests largely on his development. The same can be said about the receivers though they have a bit better track record. But you don't hear me talking about that group as being rock solid do you?

HHM talks about every facet of your team being solid or much improved when those concepts are buried in the same hope we have about the passing game. Know the difference.

Fact is, your team is no better. So spouting off about hopes and dreams is something a fan of your team really shouldn't do.

Spouting off? Perhaps you've been hibernating the past few months but one team has seen dramatic turnover to it's starting 22 and one hasn't. Obviously, 2 HOF coaches saw their teams in different light. One felt his team only needed time and the other felt his team needed a bunch of new faces. That's fact.

So I really don't see it as "spouting off" when the facts point towards Dallas having more to "hope" for from their players. Perhaps I've just touched a nerve in a young fan? :)

I didn't say I have a problem with hoping that players become more than they are. Certainly, every Skins fan has that hope about Ramsey and the success of the team rests largely on his development. The same can be said about the receivers though they have a bit better track record. But you don't hear me talking about that group as being rock solid do you?

HHM talks about every facet of your team being solid or much improved when those concepts are buried in the same hope we have about the passing game. Know the difference.

I don't frequent these boards often and no, I don't see you posting that your WRs are going to be all world and automatically improve your team. But some on here do.

I admit that Portis is a very good back. I admit that your line is better with the signing of Rabach or whatever and the return of your injured player. I also admit that Ramsey has potential, although that potential has never really had a chance to manifest itself.

Your team has improved in some areas. I don't see Moss being one of them. He's weak, scared of contact and won't go over the middle to save his life.

But...he's fast.

Patten is good...but old. Like Glenn...

Dyson is average and old...

The key to your team winning anything is Portis and your defense. Both have the potential to be great this year...and if they play up to that potential you could be looking at a wildcard.

The Cowboys are also improved, however. Our secondary is stronger, our offensive line is stronger, (though I admit that the RT position scares me) we have a young running back who has the potential to be a star. We have great depth at both the running back and cornerback positions, (something we most certainly didn't have last year) we have a great TE and signed a younger Vinny Testeverde. (Another thing I'm worried about.)

I feel our teams are equal. Should make for some real dogfights this year when our two teams meet. (Though we all know the blue and silver will pull it out.):D

I wasn't trying to be an *** when I responded to you. I was simply trying to state that hopes and dreams are all these two franchises have at the moment. Why not let us have them?

Spouting off? Perhaps you've been hibernating the past few months but one team has seen dramatic turnover to it's starting 22 and one hasn't. Obviously, 2 HOF coaches saw their teams in different light. One felt his team only needed time and the other felt his team needed a bunch of new faces. That's fact.

So I really don't see it as "spouting off" when the facts point towards Dallas having more to "hope" for from their players. Perhaps I've just touched a nerve in a young fan? :)

I was rude and I apologize.

Bledsoe looks to have a difficult season this year.

The Cowboys offense may look better, and Bledsoe may be an improvement over Testerverde, but no one can honestly say the 'Boyz offense is more talented than what Bledsoe left in Buffalo.

MaGahee is better than Jones, both Bills starting WR are much better than what the Cowboys have to offer. Witten is an upgrade, but how is the OL any better? Especially when Bledsoe is usually the reason why the sacks happened in Buffalo.

I'm actually more comfortable with our defense facing Bledsoe than Testerverde. Why? Because Gregg Williams can create pressure from anywhere, and it's widely known that Bledsoe folds under pressure quite easily.

DD,

What it all comes down to is that the blue and silver shades I wear are the same burgandy and gold shades you wear.

Reading this board, equal assesments are made about the Skins.

Everyone on this board would take your QBs over ours without thinking twice.

Everyone on this board would take your RBs over ours without thinking twice.

Everyone on this board would take your WRs over ours without thinking twice.

And while some people would take our TEs over yours, the majority love Cooley and would still take your TEs over ours.

Same goes for the O-Line, LBs, and secondary.

I think most of you would take our D-Line.

And its NOT EVEN CLOSE that Gibbs and Co. would be taken over Parcells and Co.

Based on reading on ES.com this whole offseason, one would think the Skins are basically better than Dallas across the board and that the future is MUCH BRIGHTER in D.C.. (That goes for every offseason).

But for some reason, Dallas beats Washington every year and neither of us do anything except be mediore or worse.

Now, with all those edges over Dallas, why all the struggles?

My point is that you have your favorable assessment of every Redskins, and you have your unfavorable assessment of every Cowboys.

We all "hope and dream".

And rightfully so.

We are fans who love our team and only "hope" for the best and "dream" it will all come together.

It is that way now, and always will be.

You are a very creative and imaginative writer DD, as I know you personally.

If called upon, you could spin Dallas' current situation better than I could.

You know it, and I know it.

So keep having fun trying to pick apart everything I pointed out.

I enjoy your retorts.

And its fun to remember them every year.

Because when Dallas beats Washington every season, I enjoy watching you squirm and come up with excuses that much more. :cheers:

P.S. - I also agree with DargonMikal about the "hopes and dreams" part.;)

And once again it comes down to winning. I for one am tired of losing to the pukes every year. I think both teams will improve on their records, which isn't saying that much. Injuries will play a part in the success of both teams obviously. Your WR's and J Jones need to stay healthy if you are going to have a shot at the playoffs. I am not going to offer anything further, because we are all wearing shaded glasses, but I will say that our QB situation is better than yours. We will have to wait until at least halfway through the season to determine if I am right or not. If the skins stay healthy and Ramsey breaks out, we will be in the playoffs without question. That, however, is a nice size if.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

For 1 season i would definently take Bledsoe over Ramsey but the age obviously comes into consideration. I think Campbell has more potential then Drew Henson because of his athleticism. Drew is a question mark because of the baseball thing as well. We'll see in a cpl years.

yup. Lets see if JJ can last the whole season.

hmm. Their the same age but i would take Patten over Glenn only because of the durability issue. Patten hasn't achieved the WR status that Glenn had in his earlier seasons but Patten's only had 1 injury plagued season total compared to Glenn having significant injuries in 2 outta the last 4 seasons.

Now for Keyshawn, I don't think any of us would rather have Moss over Keyshawn as the #1 for 1 season but again age has to be considered. Keyshawn isn't the most popular receiver in the NFL. (especially on this board. Loser Cowgirl and all) He was a ****y ****, he never did live up the hype of being the best receiver in the league and had the Tampa Bay thing. Personally I always admired his game. He has stayed amazingly consistant over the years producing similar numbers every year. He's avoided major injuries. He has every tool you need in a #1: he can make tough catches in the middle, he has size, athletisism and he has good hands. He's an incrdible upgrade over Joey over-rated for you guys. Hopefully Moss will prove to be a consistent #1 in Gibb's system, we'll see.

After the starters its hard to compare. More about who you think has more potential.

overall *sigh* I would probably take the Cowgirl receivers becuase Moss hasn't proved to me yet that he's a legit #1. I got faith that this will change.

And while some people would take our TEs over yours, the majority love Cooley and would still take your TEs over ours.

Cooley is the man but I dont think us skins fans wouldn't trade him for a probowl TE; Cowboy or not.

Samme goes for the O-Line, LBs, and secondary.

Our O-line gets the edge in my opinion because we have 2 solid tackles. Its very close though; both teams have multiple pro-bowlers on the line.

Our LB's and Secondary are better then yours.

yup

yup. Joe Gibbs is Washington Football.

The great thing about rivalries is that all this becomes a wash during game time. It doesn't matter who has the better team or who is having the better season when our two teams meet. Having a better QB, Secondary or whatever means nottin.

We'll see you girls on Monday night when we ruin your little ROH celebration. ;)

:point2sky :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd:

DD,

What it all comes down to is that the blue and silver shades I wear are the same burgandy and gold shades you wear.

Reading this board, equal assesments are made about the Skins.

Same goes for the O-Line, LBs, and secondary.

Based on reading on ES.com this whole offseason, one would think the Skins are basically better than Dallas across the board and that the future is MUCH BRIGHTER in D.C.. (That goes for every offseason).

But for some reason, Dallas beats Washington every year and neither of us do anything except be mediore or worse.

Now, with all those edges over Dallas, why all the struggles?

My point is that you have your favorable assessment of every Redskins, and you have your unfavorable assessment of every Cowboys.

We all "hope and dream".

And rightfully so.

We are fans who love our team and only "hope" for the best and "dream" it will all come together.

It is that way now, and always will be.

You are a very creative and imaginative writer DD, as I know you personally.

If called upon, you could spin Dallas' current situation better than I could.

You know it, and I know it.

So keep having fun trying to pick apart everything I pointed out.

I enjoy your retorts.

And its fun to remember them every year.

Because when Dallas beats Washington every season, I enjoy watching you squirm and come up with excuses that much more.,

I don't spin. I can't count how many times I've disagreed with the moves the Skins have made over the past few seasons. And I don't speak for everyone on the board - only for myself.

And yes, I think the Skins have had the edge in talent over Dallas for about 5 or 6 seasons. Yet despite this edge - they have lost practically every meeting. I don't have the slightest clue why and anyone who does is lying. It defies explanation.

However, as the Patriots have shown, it's not the most talented team that wins. If the Skins sweep the 12-4 Eagles and go 8-8 it will hardly be a banner season. And the Cowboys winning all those games against us is HARDLY a validation of their roster being more talented than Washington's. You judge a team over the course of the season (and hopefully - the playoffs), not over the course of 2 games. But it's all the Cowboy fans have so I'm not surprised they use it ad nauseum.

Your team may win every game between us till the end of time. All that will make Dallas good for is 2-14. And that means we'll never be better than 14-2. So what? The Dallas games mean a lot because they are rivalry games inside the division but it's hardly going to make my life complete if we win those games yet stink it up the rest of the year. But I guess that's just spin.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

Well, Bledsoe won a lot more than he lost when he was with Parcells.

Same with Testaverde, so I presume the success they had together along with the great comfort level, has a lot to do with Parcells basically allowing Bledsoe to "drive the bus".

1996 and 2005 are worlds apart in a players' career.

I imagine people aren't going to remember Vinny's 2nd stint with the Tuna over his times in NYC. The same I think will go for Bledsoe and the Tuna.

I can't find a good enough reason why he'd get good again all the sudden.

Originally posted by Bufford

1996 and 2005 are worlds apart in a players' career.

I imagine people aren't going to remember Vinny's 2nd stint with the Tuna over his times in NYC. The same I think will go for Bledsoe and the Tuna.

I can't find a good enough reason why he'd get good again all the sudden.

He doesnt have to be "good again" all of a sudden per se.

Just needs to "drive the bus" and not throw INTs.

With a good running game and some protection, I think it can be done.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

So what happens when he starts taking a ton of sacks? What then?

The same thing that happened in Buffalo.

He gets up, straightens out his face mask, and goes back to the huddle. :D

But maybe, just maybe, he gets knocked out for an extended period, the backup from the University of Michigan steps in, wins that game, and well, the rest is history. :)

Archived