Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen suspended for wearing 'freedom of expression' T-shirt

Baculus

We'll I wonder if this one can get to seven pages.

If he asked her to flip the shirt inside out and refused then I could see a one day suspension. That's just blatantly telling an authority figure to go eff yourself. If he just threw the suspension out their then that seems like he jumped the gun a little bit.

Either way he made the choice and stuck by it. We may not agree with it but most likely we don't know the whole story so how can one judge?

as for the "why would the girl care about something that happened when she was in middle school" comments of course any normal teenager would care about belittling an authoritive figure no matter how its done...a DUI is a pretty huge deal for an adult (even if it was 6 years ago) especially one in the school system, im sure brining it up is still a touchy subject for the principal and the community.

just a quick example. when i was in 10th grade my cross country coach ran into a tree branch and was knocked out and rushed to the hospital in the middle of practice one day, pretty embarassing, right? right. to this day kids (who were in middle school at the time) still give him a hard time about it.

No, it means they want to teach them how to be a gentleman. Also it means that they want to stifle individuality so no one appears to be better than someone else. Which is fine for some people. High school is still a popularity contest no matter how you cut it though.

This is a public school though.

You still conviniently avoid my question about why a tshirt 6 years after the DUI should matter to the asshat principal...

Originally posted by dks1240

as for the "why would the girl care about something that happened when she was in middle school" comments of course any normal teenager would care about belittling an authoritive figure no matter how its done...a DUI is a pretty huge deal for an adult (even if it was 6 years ago) especially one in the school system, im sure brining it up is still a touchy subject for the principal and the community.

So does this mean a kid can't wear a DARE shirt in front of a teacher who had a drug problem? When does this ultra sensitive bullcrap end?

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

No, it means they want to teach them how to be a gentleman. Also it means that they want to stifle individuality so no one appears to be better than someone else. Which is fine for some people. High school is still a popularity contest no matter how you cut it though.

This is a public school though.

You still conviniently avoid my question about why a tshirt 6 years after the DUI should matter to the asshat principal...

Because the Principal decided it was. That's it. Case closed. You dont get to be the authority. HE DOES.

So does this mean a kid can't wear a DARE shirt in front of a teacher who had a drug problem? When does this ultra sensitive bullcrap end?

the article said the school was having problems with kids wearing 'problematic' tshirts. this probably had something to do with the ultra sensitive "bullcrap."

which brings us full circle. when will the ultra-sensitive crap of "omg, my child can't wear a t-shirt, i'm suing" end?

If the Principal decides that that shirt is a disruption, than YES. It means you cant wear it.

Why is this so hard to understand. You dont have freedom of expression rights in school. There are limits. ANd the Principal gets to set them.

Dont like it? Go to Private School. But I'll bet that the next school also has rules that need to be followed.

Clearly questioning authority is a bad thing. I don't think much good has ever come out of it.

Clearly this child was possessed by the devil. Individuality is evil.......evil I say.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

If the Principal decides that that shirt is a disruption, than YES. It means you cant wear it.

Why is this so hard to understand. You dont have freedom of expression rights in school. There are limits. ANd the Principal gets to set them.

Dont like it? Go to Private School. But I'll bet that the next school also has rules that need to be followed.

Because raising awareness about an extremely severe problem is such a horrible act? GTFO. Like someone mentioned earlier, does this mean he removes all of the MADD posters and stickers from the school as well?

Originally posted by Mufumonk

Because raising awareness about an extremely severe problem is such a horrible act? GTFO. Like someone mentioned earlier, does this mean he removes all of the MADD posters and stickers from the school as well?

If the Principal decides they are a disruption, he can do that.

If you suspend someone for wearing a t-shirt that reads "don't drink and drive" your reasons should be better then "I am a convicted drunk driver." I agree that the principal can do as she sees fit in her school but parents have a right to ask "why." In this case the answer to the question is unacceptable.

A school is supposed to send the right messages to our kids. One of those messages has been "don't drink and drive" for over a decade. Now the schools have to stop delivering these messages becasue faculty at the school may not want to be reminded of their past screw ups? That's absurd. If you can't take it, find a new job.

I'd agree with the principal here if the subject matter were different. No ones past is spotless and being mocked by students would be reason to punish them. Sadly in this case the subject matter can not and should not be removed from the school. The principal should swallow his pride or quit. Should have thought of this before he got behind the wheel.

Originally posted by Baculus

On May 6, Smith wore a different T-shirt, this one reading “Don’t Underestimate Individuality,” her mother said.

If the girl isn't trying to make jabs at the principal why would she have worn a shirt so clumsily worded, except for the fact that it spells DUI?

Archived