Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teen suspended for wearing 'freedom of expression' T-shirt

Baculus

Originally posted by Mufumonk

Way to ignore the rest of what she posted. Your reliance on gimmick sites on the int3rw3b is also quite weak.

A gimmick site that is useful to show the complete fallacy of an argument.

Bring a legit argument to the table, and I'll happily debate it. But using illogical comparisons wont be tolerated.

Originally posted by Destino

Thank you for repeating the charge. The devil is in the details however and like I've stated before, the reasons for the decision have been called into question. Not wanting to see "don't drink and drive" because you are a irresponsible drunk us not a good reason IMO. The principal is thus wrong and should either apologize or find a new line of work.

Now the Principal is an irresponsible drunk?

you people slay me....

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Bring a legit argument to the table, and I'll happily debate it. But using illogical comparisons wont be tolerated.

katomak quote:

To expand on this........shouldn't the principal promote educating his students on the dangers of drinking and driving? In fact, he should be participating in it! The simple fact that he himself, the almighty principal has a history of drinking and driving, you'd think he would want to set a better example.

Oh, I agree 110%!!! I agree that an educator should be devoting his or her life during the hours of 7am to 3pm (or whatever school runs for nowadays) to setting an example by which every one of his students may live. The fact that he's not owning up to a DUI conviction that was handed down to him, or rather is brushing it under the rug by way of punishing a student who he feels is trying to "embarass" him isn't quite the example I was hoping for him to set...

All seems fairly logical to me...........

Oh, I agree 110%!!! I agree that an educator should be devoting his or her life during the hours of 7am to 3pm (or whatever school runs for nowadays) to setting an example by which every one of his students may live. The fact that he's not owning up to a DUI conviction that was handed down to him, or rather is brushing it under the rug by way of punishing a student who he feels is trying to "embarass" him isn't quite the example I was hoping for him to set...

All seems fairly logical to me...........

Then you obviously didnt read the link I provided.

That's a classic Straw Man argument. Youve created a person that doesnt exist, but is easy to tear apart.

Now, frankly, Kilmer, if your point were "Somebody has to make judgement decisions, and this school district has decided that the Principal is The Man on the Scene, and therefore, it's his call", then I'd agree with you.

I don't think anybody is saying the Principal doesn't have the authority to suspend disruptive students. Or to claim that the term "disruptive" is a term subject to personal judgement.

(I'll even point out: The article implies the Principal objected to the phrase "Don't Drink and Drive". And the student's subsequent shirt certainly makes it look like the student is pushing that button. But the linkage between "don't drink and drive" and suspension certainly hasn't been proven.)

But I do think, if I were on that school board, I'd be looking into whether this particular Principal has the necessary qualities to handle the power he's been given. (One aparantly boneheaded decision doesn't merit fireing, but I'd look to see if it was only one, or merely the first one that got noticed.)

Originally posted by Larry

Now, frankly, Kilmer, if your point were "Somebody has to make judgement decisions, and this school district has decided that the Principal is The Man on the Scene, and therefore, it's his call", then I'd agree with you.

I don't think anybody is saying the Principal doesn't have the authority to suspend disruptive students. Or to claim that the term "disruptive" is a term subject to personal judgement.

(I'll even point out: The article implies the Principal objected to the phrase "Don't Drink and Drive". And the student's subsequent shirt certainly makes it look like the student is pushing that button. But the linkage between "don't drink and drive" and suspension certainly hasn't been proven.)

But I do think, if I were on that school board, I'd be looking into whether this particular Principal has the necessary qualities to handle the power he's been given. (One aparantly boneheaded decision doesn't merit fireing, but I'd look to see if it was only one, or merely the first one that got noticed.)

And I would probably support you. if this was an isolated incident with no other surrounding baggage.

Now the Principal is an irresponsible drunk?

you people slay me....

I would claim that after a DUI confiction, that "irresponsible drunk" has been pretty firmly established.

Yes, that was EXACTLY what you did.

No Kilmer, I continued to address the situation as I see it. YOU plucked a single tiny irrelevent piece of my post and used it to claim victory. That is a strawman and that is what YOU did.

In fact between the two of us, I'm the only one discussing details at all. When you aren't using a strawman you have your eyes and ears covered while yelling "The Principal gets to decide that!" over and over again.

Follow along if you can manage, the principal does get to decide, but the decision can be called into question. It seems to me that the root cause was the principal feeling insulted by a innocent expression of safe driving. You've presented nothing to disprove that and I find that reasoning to be insufficient.

Originally posted by Destino

No Kilmer, I continued to address the situation as I see it. YOU plucked a single tiny irrelevent piece of my post and used it to claim victory. That is a strawman and that is what YOU did.

In fact between the two of us, I'm the only one discussing details at all. When you aren't using a strawman you have your eyes and ears covered while yelling "The Principal gets to decide that!" over and over again.

Follow along if you can manage, the principal does get to decide, but the decision can be called into question. It seems to me that the root cause was the principal feeling insulted by a innocent expression of safe driving. You've presented nothing to disprove that and I find that reasoning to be insufficient.

Than you arent reading very well or thorough Des. I've stated that as a single incident, this seems like it would warrant questioning. I also stated that the suspension was extreme, and said perhaps an offer to change first would have been appropriate.

But we do know that there were issues with T shirts prior to this. ANd we do know that she says she is going to defy him and wear it again. Based on that, I'll side with him for now.

Of course you did. That's how people that lose an argument act here. They call names and attack the person. Good for the two of you!!!!!

That or rely on a website to do their arguing for them because they are incapable of thinking for themselves.............

Of course you did. That's how people that lose an argument act here. They call names and attack the person. Good for the two of you!!!!!

I never claimed defeat. I just got tired of you running around in circles with your hands up saying "The Principal decides so!" I also got tired of you referring us to some website every time you found an argument you didn't like.

The Principal is an over sensitive prick. That's not an argument, thats a statement.

Than you arent reading very well or thorough Des. I've stated that as a single incident, this seems like it would warrant questioning. I also stated that the suspension was extreme, and said perhaps an offer to change first would have been appropriate.

But we do know that there were issues with T shirts prior to this. ANd we do know that she says she is going to defy him and wear it again. Based on that, I'll side with him for now.

I have no doubt the kid is a jerk, in fact I've always favored uniforms so the little ****s have no room to start stuff like this. But the principal took a bad position to start and is in danger of getting steam rolled because of it.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

I never claimed defeat. I just got tired of you running around in circles with your hands up saying "The Principal decides so!" I also got tired of you referring us to some website every time you found an argument you didn't like.

The Principal is an over sensitive prick. That's not an argument, thats a statement.

Not an argument I didnt like. but arguments that werent founded on reality or fact.

Im sorry the two of you dont know how to formulate an argument correctly, but you dont. Perhaps a few years in a public school might have helped. There is hope though. Most Community Colleges offer a Logic 101 class.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Hey Kilmer,

Do you think the prinicipals decision was a correct one (not did he have the power to make it)?

Just curious.

Being a punker Kilmer - I am susprised how pro-establishment you are sometimes. ;)

No. I think on it's own it was wrong. But I also dont know what happened before that (outside of the vague reference to previous problems).

Archived