Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Movie Scene of All-Time

footballhenry

Originally posted by Waldo da Magnificent

An old reel short - Bambi v. Godzilla. My father rented it on my sayso, cued it up, and was furious as me and my youngest brother are rolling on the floor.

You could rent that alone? Isn't it like 30 seconds long?

Lemme see if I remember it correctly bambi looks up three times and then Godzilla's foot smushes her?

Oh well, I wasn't allowed to watch fox/television after I introduced my mother to "homie the clown." The rents!

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

You could rent that alone? Isn't it like 30 seconds long?

Lemme see if I remember it correctly bambi looks up three times and then Godzilla's foot smushes her?

Oh well, I wasn't allowed to watch fox/television after I introduced my mother to "homie the clown." The rents!

Yup, from the public library. Reel to reel.

1973, I think.

The most moving scene to me was the final scene in Schindler's List, where the actors are walking side by side with the actual real life people that they portrayed to leave stones on Oskar Schindler's grave. Closest I ever came to crying during a movie. Odd thing is I don't think I realized what was going on there until the 2nd time I watched it.

Originally posted by SamSneed36

For me the first scene tha comes to mind is the final court scene in A Few Good Men when Tom Cruise's character is leading Jack's character into admitting he ordered the code red, culminating in the famous line "You can't handle the thruth!"

Whole scene gets me pumped up everytime

Mine too, that scene is awesome.

Lots of good ones guys. You all hit most of mine.

I'll try and think of a few that haven't been mentioned yet ...

- The end of Casablanca when Rick's convincing Ilsa to get on the plane ... actually, pretty much the whole movie. :)

- October Sky, when Homer tells his dad that "Dr. von Braun's a great scientist, but he's not my hero." The whole end of that movie always gets me.

- Gettysburg, when Armistead asks for Han****, has been told Han**** has fallen, and says "Not both of us! Not all of us!" Also, the Battle of Little Roundtop from that movie.

- Big Fish, when Will is talking to his dad at the very end of the movie.

- Sophie's Choice, when she makes her choice.

- The end of It's a Wonderful Life. No man is a failure who has freinds.

- And I gotta say it, the opening shot of Star Wars. No credits. Just that big, bad, star destroyer filling up the screen. Great, great shot.

Henry: in Big Fish, when Billy Crudup (the son) takes Albert Finney (the father), into the water at the end of that movie it was an incredibly poignant scene for me and one I won't soon forget. When I saw it in the theather, I'd recently lost my step father, with whom I'd had a similar relationship as the father/son one in the film, and I was watching the movie alone in the Cobble Hill Cinemas. I had to hide my face from all of the tears as I left the theather.

I'd say another amazing scene, and I haven't read the entire thread, so I apoligize if this was mentioned, was the scene at the very end of the Deer Hunter. That had me really upset too -- so much emotion. That's one of the best movies that I'll probably never watch again largely because of the emotional tumult encapsulated in that scene.

From Pearl Harbor

General: Mr. President, with all due respect, sir... what you're asking can't be done.

[President struggles and gets out of wheelchair]

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: [serious tone] Do not tell me it can't be done.

Admiral Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant

The Natural - When Hobbs hits the cover off the ball in the pouring rain.

Gladiator - "On my command ............unleash Hell."

Gladiator - When Maximus removes his helmet so that Commodus can see who he is. "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." also when Commodus tells Maximus what they did to his wife and son...."The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end."

RotK - When Pippin is singing while Faramir leads his men back to the river to be slaughtered.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - The Bride and O-Ren Ishii's fight in the garden in the snow.

Saving Private Ryan - D Day invasion, and the end when he collapses at Capt. Miller's grave and says "Tell me I've led a good life..........tell me I'm a good man". (All the emotional strain building up during that movie, those 2 lines wrecked me.)

Actually I am surprised noone touched this movie....

[in deepest baratone imaginable] "...may we dance with yo' dates?..."

or

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard] the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer--

Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these ****s. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

D-Day: Let's do it.

Bluto: LET'S DO IT!!

One that I'm surprised never seems to make these lists:

Outlaw Josey Wales. Josey rides out alone to face Ten Bears, played by the incomporably dignified Will Sampson, and his entire war party. Can't find the full text of the scene, but here's the last few lines:

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey Wales: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death.

It shall be life.

Armaggedon - Father and Daughter saying goobye..

Brians Song- Gayle Sayers speech..

Seabiscut- Whole movie total underdog redemption thing going on..

Green Mile- When the big dude starts crying...

Empire- I am your father ( only if you saw it originally in the theater )

Planet of the Apes- Statue of liberty

so many more...

For sheer emotional release ... the reunion scene at the end of The Color Purple.

Friggin' Spielberg. Knows just where to hit you.

For sheer otherworldliness (and being about 30 years ahead of it's time) ... the hotel suite scene at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The "feel" of that whole scene---from the moment Bowman and the pod finally come to rest in that sterile suite, to when he slowly reaches out to the monolith as the old man---with no score, no dialogue ... just his breathing and the crystal clarity of every mundane little sound ... just wow. To this day I've never seen a more powerfully and patiently filmed scene.

The Godfather: The very last scene in the movie when Al Neri and Clemenza kiss Michael's hand, Clemenza proclaims "Don Corleone" and the office door closes as Kay is watching, knowing full well that Michael may not be bringing the family legitimacy as he has claimed.

Nick

Originally posted by iheartskins

How could no one mention Field of Dreams when Kevin Costner plays baseball with his dad (Ray Liotta). Not a dry eye in the house during that scene! :)

Great scene.

But Liotta wasn't his Dad. Liotta was Shoeless Joe. :)

Archived