Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's official. ESPN reports Moss signs 6 year extension worth $31 million (MERGED)

Originally posted by Hooper

I just don't see the sense in giving Santana a new deal before he's proved himself here.

The sense is that we gave up alot to get him and it would be stupid to trade Coles for one year of Moss.

Also, what if Moss blows up? If we let him play out a season before signing him, and he has a great season... his price would increase significantly.

Moss has proven to be as productive as Steve Smith and even more so in the TD department. I have no problem with giving him a Steve Smith type contract.

Please. Moss ain't Steve Smith. Smith doesn't run out of bounds to avoid contact and unlike Moss, only a serious injury can keep him off the field. In short, Smith is a warrior and Moss ain't.

I just don't see the sense in giving Santana a new deal before he's proved himself here.

Please see stats posted earlier in thread. Not much difference overall in performance.

Funny that you find a negative in this somehow.

Please. Moss ain't Steve Smith. Smith doesn't run out of bounds to avoid contact and unlike Moss, only a serious injury can keep him off the field. In short, Smith is a warrior and Moss ain't.

Yeah, you're right Moss has a 3yd difference in YPC and 9 more touchdowns. I still believe they are comparable.

a couple years ago, this FO would have given him a signing bonus the same size as the total value of his his current (rumored) deal, 25-26 mil. so considering that, I'm ok with it.

Originally posted by rdavis2005

Warrior or not, Moss has put up just as good of numbers as Smith and didn't have the luxury of having Muhammed as his other receiver.

in addition to not having stability at the qb position.

I still state they are comparable. If the skins get him at Steve Smith money, this is a good deal. This is a year later after Smith signed his.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

Howso?

Some might say it's because Steve Smith signed his deal coming off a 1100 yard season that culminated in him blowing up in the post-season (en route to the SB) and averaging over 100 yds and .75 TDs per game for 4 playoff games. Moss, meanwhile, signed coming off a down year for him, with a reception total of 45 to Smith's 88.

Others may say it's because Steve Smith is know for his toughness on the field, while Moss has been criticized for the opposite. And as for special teams, other may note that Smith made it to the Pro Bowl as a return man, while Moss was benched for a portion of the 2004 season.

On the flip side, Moss gets the benefit of 1-year of natural price inflation and the fact that the Skins could ill-afford to replace one disgruntled WR with another. Moss also endured an off year partially due to circumstances that weren't within his control (Chad's injury, Hackett's game-calling, Martin's productivity). In the grand scheme, whether or not Moss got a couple million more than he deserved probably isn't so significant for anyone other than Moss and Rosenhaus.

Where the cost of Moss seems high is in conjunction with Coles, within the context of filling the WR position. A first rounder, plus $24M in guaranteed money, and the net result is a diminutive WR who's unproven as a #1 and was shipped off by his original team.

So what though? It's time for the Skins to turn the page and focus on the future with Moss and the role he'll play in the offense. The circumstances and cost associated with his presence weren't ideal, but dwelling on that fact isn't all that productive at this point. I suspect he'll perform a bit better than he did with the Jets, and if he's supported with solid QB play and a productive offense, the Skins will regret neither his acquisition nor his contract.

This is good for many reasons, least of which but still worth stating is they don't have to get in line with Rosenhaus now since he has so many players holding out.

It also continues our decent repoire with him since he is becoming the most powerful agent in football.

Rod Gardner's numbers don't look bad either. I mean, the Jets weren't even sure Moss was worthy of being their number two receiver.

That said, for all my complaints, I guess it could have been much, much worse. And I hope Santana proves me so, so wrong.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Some might say it's because Steve Smith signed his deal coming off a 1100 yard season that culminated in him blowing up in the post-season (en route to the SB) and averaging over 100 yds and .75 TDs per game for 4 playoff games. Moss, meanwhile, signed coming off a down year for him, with a reception total of 45 to Smith's 88.

Others may say it's because Steve Smith is know for his toughness on the field, while Moss has been criticized for the opposite. And as for special teams, other may note that Smith made it to the Pro Bowl as a return man, while Moss was benched for a portion of the 2004 season.

On the flip side, Moss gets the benefit of 1-year of natural price inflation and the fact that the Skins could ill-afford to replace one disgruntled WR with another. Moss also endured an off year partially due to circumstances that weren't within his control (Chad's injury, Hackett's game-calling, Martin's productivity). In the grand scheme, whether or not Moss got a couple million more than he deserved probably isn't so significant for anyone other than Moss and Rosenhaus.

Where the cost of Moss seems high is in conjunction with Coles, within the context of filling the WR position. A first rounder, plus $24M in guaranteed money, and the net result is a diminutive WR who's unproven as a #1 and was shipped off by his original team.

So what though? It's time for the Skins to turn the page and focus on the future with Moss and the role he'll play in the offense. The circumstances and cost associated with his presence weren't ideal, but dwelling on that fact isn't all that productive at this point. I suspect he'll perform a bit better than he did with the Jets, and if he's supported with solid QB play and a productive offense, the Skins will regret neither his acquisition nor his contract.

Sounds alot like someone we know

:D

We'll see the specifics of the deal and we should hope it's acceptably close to this information. Moss is a similar receiver to Smith so the contracts being similar would not be a bad idea. And it's quite a bargain if Moss is able to lift his game a little. We'll see.

I look at Moss in the same light that I view Ramsey. Unproven guys who both need to step things up this upcoming year.

The numbers seem high to me but only because I thought we were around $2M under the cap and this doesn't seem like a very cap friendly deal to me, but I am totally shooting from the hip here.

I know we saved a nickel or so on hasselbeck with more to come on June 1, but if we keep Gardner ($2M+ cap hit) then I'm sure the FO is getting creative right about now.

Santana has alot to prove. I hope for the teams sake he signs the deal and that is the last we hear from him about finances. FA receivers hardly ever pan out anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2053347

Moss' six-year extension worth $31 million

Pasquarelli

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Speedy wide receiver Santana Moss, the veteran on whom the Washington Redskins are counting to add some big-play dimension to their anemic passing attack of last season on Wednesday reached a contract extension with the club, ESPN.com has learned.

Moss was officially acquired from the New York Jets on March 9 in a swap of unhappy wide receivers, with Laveranues Coles going to the Jets, the team that originally brought him into the league. The trade had been discussed by the Redskins and Jets for two weeks before it was finally consummated, and then was delayed several more days because the two players had to pass physical examinations.

The six-year extension, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus and scheduled to be signed on Thursday, is worth $31 million. But the sixth-year of the deal will void if Moss merely reaches minimum playing time levels, and so the five-year value of the add-on is $26.55 million. The deal includes $11 million in combined signing and option bonuses, paid out over two years.

The four-year veteran was entering the final season of his original NFL contract and he was scheduled to have a base salary of $540,000 for the 2005 season.

Rosenhaus and Redskins officials have been working on the extension since the trade was completed. But with the draft, and Washington having to clear salary cap space to finish the deal, it took more than a month to complete.

There was never any doubt that, once the trade was consummated, the two sides would strike an extension agreement, just as Coles did with the Jets. While negotiations dragged on, though, Moss stayed away from the Redskins' offseason training program. He will report on Wednesday evening to the team and begin participating in the workouts as early as Thursday, Rosenhaus confirmed.

"Everyone worked hard, first of all, to get the trade finished, and then to complete this (extension)," Rosenhaus said before boarding a flight back to his Miami base. "Santana is excited to be with the Redskins and, obviously, he is a player that Washington wanted in its offense. Hopefully, this contract with spark some movement with some other wide receivers in the league."

Rosenhaus represents several other prominent receivers, such as Philadelphia's Terrell Owens and Javon Walker of Green Bay, who are seeking to upgrade their contracts.

Moss, 25, was the Jets' first-round choice in the 2001 draft. The former University of Miami star, who possesses great quickness, has 151 catches for 2,416 yards and 19 touchdowns in 51 appearances.

He has been hampered at times by hamstring and knee injuries but, when healthy, is an explosive performer, as reflected in a career average of 16.0 yards per catch and one touchdown every 7.9 receptions. Of his 151 catches, 106 have resulted in first downs or touchdowns. Moss' best season came in 2003, when he posted 74 receptions for 1,105 yards and 10 scores.

The four-year veteran is also a playmaker on special teams and has averaged 11.9 yards and scored two touchdowns on 88 career punt returns.

Certainly the Washington passing game, statistically the NFL's fourth-least productive in 2004, can use a receiver of Moss' potential. The Redskins, stymied in part by an archaic design that featured a lot of "maximum" protections and only two receivers in the pattern, averaged a paltry 5.36 yards per pass play last season, and 10.96 yards per completion. Both those numbers were second-lowest in the league.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Archived