Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's official. ESPN reports Moss signs 6 year extension worth $31 million (MERGED)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2053347

Moss' six-year extension worth $31 millionBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Speedy wide receiver Santana Moss, the veteran on whom the Washington Redskins are counting to add some big-play dimension to their anemic passing attack of last season on Wednesday reached a contract extension with the club, ESPN.com has learned.

Moss was officially acquired from the New York Jets on March 9 in a swap of unhappy wide receivers, with Laveranues Coles going to the Jets, the team that originally brought him into the league. The trade had been discussed by the Redskins and Jets for two weeks before it was finally consummated, and then was delayed several more days because the two players had to pass physical examinations.

The six-year extension, negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus and scheduled to be signed on Thursday, is worth $31 million. But the sixth-year of the deal will void if Moss merely reaches minimum playing time levels, and so the five-year value of the add-on is $26.55 million. The deal includes $11 million in combined signing and option bonuses, paid out over two years.

The four-year veteran was entering the final season of his original NFL contract and he was scheduled to have a base salary of $540,000 for the 2005 season.

Rosenhaus and Redskins officials have been working on the extension since the trade was completed. But with the draft, and Washington having to clear salary cap space to finish the deal, it took more than a month to complete.

There was never any doubt that, once the trade was consummated, the two sides would strike an extension agreement, just as Coles did with the Jets. While negotiations dragged on, though, Moss stayed away from the Redskins' offseason training program. He will report on Wednesday evening to the team and begin participating in the workouts as early as Thursday, Rosenhaus confirmed.

"Everyone worked hard, first of all, to get the trade finished, and then to complete this (extension)," Rosenhaus said before boarding a flight back to his Miami base. "Santana is excited to be with the Redskins and, obviously, he is a player that Washington wanted in its offense. Hopefully, this contract with spark some movement with some other wide receivers in the league."

Rosenhaus represents several other prominent receivers, such as Philadelphia's Terrell Owens and Javon Walker of Green Bay, who are seeking to upgrade their contracts.

Moss, 25, was the Jets' first-round choice in the 2001 draft. The former University of Miami star, who possesses great quickness, has 151 catches for 2,416 yards and 19 touchdowns in 51 appearances.

He has been hampered at times by hamstring and knee injuries but, when healthy, is an explosive performer, as reflected in a career average of 16.0 yards per catch and one touchdown every 7.9 receptions. Of his 151 catches, 106 have resulted in first downs or touchdowns. Moss' best season came in 2003, when he posted 74 receptions for 1,105 yards and 10 scores.

The four-year veteran is also a playmaker on special teams and has averaged 11.9 yards and scored two touchdowns on 88 career punt returns.

Certainly the Washington passing game, statistically the NFL's fourth-least productive in 2004, can use a receiver of Moss' potential. The Redskins, stymied in part by an archaic design that featured a lot of "maximum" protections and only two receivers in the pattern, averaged a paltry 5.36 yards per pass play last season, and 10.96 yards per completion. Both those numbers were second-lowest in the league.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Moss is a better WR than Mushin. Here's his contract with the Bears:

Muhammad signed a six-year contract with the Bears on February 26, 2005. The Chicago Tribune reports that the deal was worth $30 million and included a $12 million signing bonus.

Not bad. And if you think we overpaid Westbrook, lol, then guess where TO's market is set at.

Originally posted by Hooper

Am I crazy, or was that article pretty fair?

Kind of until he went into his

"The Redskins, stymied in part by an archaic design that featured a lot of "maximum" protections and only two receivers in the pattern,"

speel

Bizarre: I kept waiting for the Lenny P. dig and nothing. And, let's face it, calling our 2004 offense paltry isn't editorializing, it's a fact. Normally, the Fat One wouldn't stop there. I applaud his restraint.

Moss certainly can be better than Mushin and deserves his contract. Moss is younger with more potential to earn his paychecks. Mushin will be worthless in a couple of more seasons. A good contract considering our expectations for Moss to step up and be our number one receiver.

Moss' last two years:

2003 NYJ 16 74 1105 14.9 10 4

2004 NYJ 16 45 838 18.6 5 2

Mushin's last two years:

2003 CAR 16 54 837 15.5 3 1

2004 CAR 16 93 1405 15.1 16 7

I'll alter my position. Mushin was a better WR last year, but he'll never come close to those numbers again.

Moss' numbers are actually quite close. Moss has a higher average per catch and gets the ball in the endzone at a better ratio. The approx seven year age gap is a factor too.

Originally posted by jchild

Moss is not a better receiver than Mushin! He may be younger but he isn't as good or at least hasn't shown it up to this point in his career.

I believe the jury is still out on that one, Muhsin has been known as Muhammy for the majority of his career. Muhammy has only gone over 1,000 yds receiving in 3 yrs out of 9. Last year was clearly his best season as a pro at 32 but '01,'02,'03 Muhammy had pedistrian numbers having no more than 3 TDs and 850 yds receiving.

Originally posted by Truant

Moss is a better WR than Mushin. Here's his contract with the Bears:

Muhammad signed a six-year contract with the Bears on February 26, 2005. The Chicago Tribune reports that the deal was worth $30 million and included a $12 million signing bonus.

Not bad. And if you think we overpaid Westbrook, lol, then guess where TO's market is set at.

Sorry but we overpaid for Moss, before the trade was made there were reports in the NY papers that said Moss was going to be moved to the third option in NY.

Originally posted by jbooma

Sorry but we overpaid for Moss, before the trade was made there were reports in the NY papers that said Moss was going to be moved to the third option in NY.

That was a result of coaching philosophy, it has nothing to do with Moss' talent.

Originally posted by Zuck

Kind of until he went into his

"The Redskins, stymied in part by an archaic design that featured a lot of "maximum" protections and only two receivers in the pattern,"

speel

Well, it might be negative but it's fair.

i am with Jbooma that i think we overpaid for Moss...

however the contract number is close to what i was expecting because i didnt think Moss would have signed an extension unless he got something similar to #1 WR money...

at least we didnt grossly overpay him

Hasn't played a down for us, hasn't even attended a practice and we pay him THAT! Does it include a clause where he has to give back some of his bonus for snapping his ACL while running an out pattern? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by stwasm

Hasn't played a down for us, hasn't even attended a practice and we pay him THAT! Does it include a clause where he has to give back some of his bonus for snapping his ACL while running an out pattern? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

im sure somewere along the line it does.. but we pay out 11 mill in 2 years? I wonder how we are going to do that

Archived