Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know how we can get some cap room, Cut Samuels!

mcgraw238

Originally posted by da#1skinsfan

So hes a pro bowl alternate every year? If hes a top 5 player, he should be a Pro Bowl starter/reserve every year. Forget alternates. If hes an alternate that just shows that hes not worth the cash hes demanding.

So, by your logic, we should get rid of Portis? I mean, he was a Pro Bowl alternate this year. He must not be worth the cash he's getting.

:rolleyes:

Unlike Samuels, Portis is not eating up 10 million in cap space for the current year.

I want to reiterate that I am in favor of restructuring Samuels. I started this thread because all the events of the last several days are predicated on Samuels restructuring, a move which he has refused to do for some time now. Plus, he now thinks he should be paid in the Walter Jones range.

Originally posted by mcgraw238

Unlike Samuels, Portis is not eating up 10 million in cap space for the current year.

Point #1.

Point #2 - Portis put up Pro Bowl starter/reserve #'s BOTH of his years before signing here. So at the time, yes Portis was worth a top 5 contract, ESPECIALLY considering his age.

Granted, Samuels has made the PB twice as well, but again, this is now his 2nd year not making it, and he is eating the cap like crazy, and seems unwilling to restructure to help the team, only to help himself first.

If theres a yr where Portis doesnt make the probowl 2yrs running, and eats up $10M of the cap, Id talk to his ass about a restructure too. Dont think Danny wouldnt.

I want to keep Samuels, but I don't want to give him Jones money. I just don't think it's worth it. We can spread the money around to C and G and add more depth, as opposed to paying Samuels $15 Mil and still having an overall crap line.

At this point I'd just be willing to cut Samuels, have Coles return the $5 Mil and cut him, and that way we will have enough cap room for the future(so no I'm not advocating using the cap room for this year either).

At this point I'd just be willing to cut Samuels, have Coles return the $5 Mil and cut him, and that way we will have enough cap room for the future(so no I'm not advocating using the cap room for this year either).

Amen.

The sucessful teams in the NFL (Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, etc) do not overpay for talent. These teams hold the line and refuse to pay top 5 $$$, for top 10 talent.

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

Some people are willing to take so much crap from players.

DON'T OVERPAY FOR PLAYERS!

That's an easy concept that we should always follow.

and some people don't have a CLUE about the cap or player evaluation.

and there are some who do understand, like thinker

Originally posted by thinker

Let's at least get some facts right. Samuels currently counts $9.643 million against the cap for this year, including $6 million in salary. He will count $11.32 mil next year. But next year is voidable. The contract was written such that the last year would likely be voided. When he voids the last year (2006) his cap number for this year goes to over $12 million.

These numbers are such because Samuels has twice previously "done the right thing" and renegotiated his deals. We asked him to and he did. The two renegotiations are what have given us these huge cap numbers - not Samuels' selfishness and greediness. It makes no sense for Samuels to give back the $6 million owed this year take a $12 million sb and minimum salary for the next two years. He could just play this year for the $6 million and be a ufa next year and get another $14 - 16 million bonus in 2006. As it is getting a $14 -16 million bonus this year will still cost him $6 million in cash. So while we all want him to sign for the least possible - he is giving back some significant money. If we don't want to give him that bonus then cut him - he'll get it from someone else - we'll have no LT and a huge cap hit.

And we need him to redo his deal because WE wanted him to rework his deal three times now. We put ourselves in this position so you can't blame him.

14-16M SB?

If that's where we are with Samuels, that's all the more reason to part ways. That sounds an awful lot like a guy wanting Walter Jones money. So were back to paying top 10 talent, top 5 money.

Synder and Co. have been doing that for several years, last I checked it hasn't worked well. I agree that we have put ourselves in this position, I just think it's time we stopped making the same mistake.

I positive it won't come to that. If it does, how could we fix a contract for another team in order to make a trade if we can't get him to fix his contract for us? A trade would be out of the question, so if push comes to shove, cut him. It won't come that, he'll be restructured before FA starts. Bet.

This is an absolutely crazy thread. Anyone in their right mind that thinks we could cut Samuels and replace him with some other guy not not named Orlando Pace is utterly idiotic. While Samuels is not as good as Walter Jones or Pace, he's not that far behind them in the next tier of LTs.

Let's put some perspective on this all: Two years ago, Flozell Adams got a $10M signing bonus, which is something equivalent to $12M this year. Jones got a $16M bonus just recently. Samuels is clearly better that Adams but, as noted before, behind Jones. Ergo, if Samuels gets some thing like $14M, I've got no objections to that.

Hell, if he got a $16M bonus, I wouldn't be too perturbed since he's got to something for the current year salary he's foregoing.

Let's get real here, folks.

Cutting him?

Good Lord. :doh:

Originally posted by bubba9497

and some people don't have a CLUE about the cap or player evaluation.

and there are some who do understand, like thinker

I perfectly understand the cap and my "player evaluations" are fine. By restructuring his contract, it will also be extended. Did Samuels intend for his first contract to be his last contract? If not then he's going to have to sign another one at some point. Why not now? I'm not saying he should lose any money. Just structure the new contract to be more cap friendly.

And his performance, recently, has not be that good. Despite that, I'm not going to take any money away from him.

And the team should still follow the advice to not overpay players. And cut Samuels if he doesn't restructure.

Archived