Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know how we can get some cap room, Cut Samuels!

mcgraw238

Originally posted by goldenster95

What do you mean by "recently"? If it's last year, you're clearly wrong. He did very well for us last year. In the prior two years, he got screwed by Kim Helton, one of the main reasons why he didn't restructure back then.

And if he doesn't restructure, who do we replace him with?

you take away the Helton years.... he has been arguably the best 1-2 LT in the game.

and unlike Jones & Pace, he shows up in camp, in shape, and helps the teams cap by restructuring where the other 2 have been franchised mutiple times.

Originally posted by bubba9497

you take away the Helton years.... he has been arguably the best 1-2 LT in the game.

and unlike Jones & Pace, he shows up in camp, in shape, and helps the teams cap by restructuring where the other 2 have been franchised mutiple times.

agreed, the only way the skins solve cap problems, is to stop signing hot shot free agents every year like the dan does and just build are team from the group up which is what I think Gibbs wants to do

Originally posted by da#1skinsfan

Its not like with a bit of research and player development we couldnt get some giant lard-ass who Bugel could mold into a strong offensive lineman.

Keep thinking that buddy. :thumbsup: Definitely don't let reality get in the way.

People are making all of these "cut Samuels" statements completely disregarding the opinions of the main people involved....our coaching staff!!!. Believe me, If Samuels was that bad, Bugel wouldn't have NO QUALMS about putting anyone else in his place. I think Bugel knows just a little bit more about offensive line play than a lot of us Monday Morning QBs.

Perhaps some of the Samuels bashers should look back a few years. Remember Shar Pourdanesh? How about Joe Patton? I rest my case. I'm not saying Samuels is a world beater but he's steady and he was one of our most consistent players this past season. I'll never forget Pourdanesh who was 6'7" and about 330 getting bull rushed being put flat on his back by small linebackers. I've said it before, Samuels worst years came under Spurrier which I don't count. Spurriers' offense coming to the line in a stand up position on 1st down as opposed to putting your hand down on 1st down. The d-linemen would at least have to wonder if a run block is coming with the o linemen's hand down as opposed to knowing the o-linemen is gonna back up to pass block when the o-linemen is already standing up. I've always said this makes an o-linemen vulnerable especially with no one staying in to help pass block. You can't go 4 wide in the NFL and pass everydown. It was no wonder Samuels came back this year and had a better year because he was allowed to get back physical with the d-linemen by running the ball. I'm not saying the Skins should breaK the bank paying Samuels but to flat out cut him and think its easy replacing a Left tackle as some on this thread are suggestiing is crazy. In my opinion Cornerbacks and Left Tackles are valuable postions that you don't just say hey I'll plug anyone in to take a guys place. To cover up for that corner you better have a hellava pass rush and that left tackle better get a lot of help.

I think everyone needs to remember what was happening to Brunell and his blind side last year when we had mediocre talent on the RT position. Now we have Ramsey who is right handed and his blind side is being protected by Chris Samuels. If the coaches only credit Samuels with 1 sack last year, you keep a guy like that.

I have no idea what the FO is really thinking in regards to him because of his jerzy being on sale (the hint of the pending grim reaper) but I would say that if we can keep him we should. You don't replace someone who is in top 10 in the position with players who were late round draft picks and have only had 1 year under their belts from Bugel. I think that is risky. I also think that you don't want to draft someone to take over a position that you already have the talent to occupy. Most 1st round picks are going to look for that kind of SB money if they are in the top 10 anyhow ... so why not go with the proven player?

OK, so this thread just made me vomit in my mouth:

-Samuels is an outstanding OT. Outstanding. And although he does need to restructure, we need to keep this guy around, for obvious reasons.

And don't forget to give him the benefit of the doubt- why has he been struggling the past few seasons? Two words- KIM HELTON. Good God. Give him another year w/ Bugel, and watch the nastiest counters you've ever seen w/ Samuels, who has great speed, come around and just destroy linebackers.

That's it. I'm done.

Lord I hope so freak. Vomit in your mouth? Bleah. Thanks for sharing, ( though anywhere outside that mouth and your'e cleaning it up). Okay. So. Chris has come back to the negotiating table for the third time in his career and things are snagging some. That happens. As bubba said, if he didn't want to be a Redskin why do so? Why not hit FA? Coaches seem to think he's pretty good at playing that OT spot, yet we're going to evaluate him here and say no he's not. Yeah okay. Gads I hate the offseason sometimes.

Well, you can't take away the Helton years. They are included on his resume and they were not good.

I'll say for the third time, this team should not overpay players. And that if Samuels doesn't restructure then he should be cut. I'll say for the second time, this restructure will be rolled into a new contract and he won't lose any money that he's already been signed for.

Where is the controversy here? Why won't he agree to this?

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

Well, you can't take away the Helton years. They are included on his resume and they were not good.

I'll say for the third time, this team should not overpay players. And that if Samuels doesn't restructure then he should be cut. I'll say for the second time, this restructure will be rolled into a new contract and he won't lose any money that he's already been signed for.

Where is the controversy here? Why won't he agree to this?

you know what I meant, ;) you can't blame Samuels for Heltons ****eyed blocking schemes.

and you keep saying overpaying...... as I stated above...

if the coaches thought for 1 second they could get a player cheaper of equal talent..... why bother with contract talks.

he had a better season than both Pace & Jones, and brings a lot more to the table as a character guy, team leader than both combined.

If Samuels was a FA he'd have 5-10 teams willing to pay his price, maybe more

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Lord I hope so freak. Vomit in your mouth? Bleah. Thanks for sharing, ( though anywhere outside that mouth and your'e cleaning it up). Okay. So. Chris has come back to the negotiating table for the third time in his career and things are snagging some. That happens. As bubba said, if he didn't want to be a Redskin why do so? Why not hit FA? Coaches seem to think he's pretty good at playing that OT spot, yet we're going to evaluate him here and say no he's not. Yeah okay. Gads I hate the offseason sometimes.

Yeah, I was happy that the thread didn;t make me flat-out vomit, becasue then I would have had to clean up the mess, thinking about this thread while doing so. :laugh:

So, here's to the FA period beginning: I'm expecting even more speculative threads and big acquisitions. :cheers:

Archived