Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Williams - Every thing you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

As some of you guys know, I'm leading a crusade for the Skins to draft Kiwi, the DE out of Boston College. Just like last year when I wanted the Skins to draft Sean Taylor over Kellen Winslow. Actually I wanted the Skins to trade down last year and pick up another 2nd round draft pick and draft Udeze and I would settle for that again this year too.

What have I got against Mike Williams? Well I just think his speed and stats indicate he will be a "possession receiver." His longest pass reception is only 55 yards. His next longest is only 40 yards. And his forty speed is only 4.56. He is not going to be a game breaker like Randy Moss. Nothing wrong with that, as he will probably be a terror in the red zone because of his height.

But the Skins don't need TWO possession receivers starting. Because if Coles is not going to have surgery and become our DEEP THREAT again -- he's only averaging a measley 10.8 yards per catch -- then Coles will be our possession receiver again by default.

Now I might change my mind on Mike Williams if Coles has surgery and again becomes our deep threat. But from what I have read so far, Coles is balking against having surgery. :( Which raises the question now? Is he still worth the $13 million signing bonus? I suppose he is with 90+ catches, but then we need another deep thread WR to get us out of this dink-and-dunk passing offense. :doh:

In addition, I think its always easier to pick up an established WR than to pick up an established DE. NFL teams aren't going to trade or give away top pass rushers. But every season you can always find WR's near the end of their careers that are good and available cheap -- example Keenan McCardell this year.

Besides I think the Bears who draft ahead of us this year, will be looking to draft Mike Williams from what I have read so far.

Comments? Everyone except Jbooma's :2cents: :laugh:

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_mike00.html

Mike Williams

6-4.5 - 228 lbs., 21 years old - 4.56 forty

Recp Yds Avg TD Lg 100-yd games

2002 - Fresh 81 1265 15.6 14 40 7

2003 - Soph 95 1313 13.8 16 55 5

2004 - Junior ineligible to play

2005 - Senior eligible for NFL draft

Notes: Had 12 100-yard games in his career. Scored a TD every 6.1 times he touched the ball.

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PRO DAY WORKOUT: APRIL 8, 2004

Gil Brandt reporting:

This was Mike Williams' personal Pro Day, which took place in Tampa at the University of South Florida. He ran outdoors on a rubber track. Cardinals coach Denny Green was there, as was Bears GM Jerry Angelo. In fact, every team with a pick in the top 10 pick had someone there, but not all 32 teams were present.

Mike Williams (6-4 5/8, 228) ran his 40s for times of 4.56 with the wind and 4.62 against the wind. He had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-1 long jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 6.84 three-cone. They say he looked good in the workout.

Williams also trained for nearly 3 months just to run 1 4.56. He played at over 240lbs at USC. I believe it was Tom Shaw noted speedcoach who had him eating nothing but eggs basically. I read his dairy on espn he was hating it. I think he'll go back to his normal weight in the NFL around 240lbs and be strictly a possesion wr. It was also noted he was running 4.7-8's when he begin training. I think he can be a very good wr but he needs a offense to just throw it up at him and were not that type of team with the right kinda playcalling.

If Portis does'nt have holes he can't run. If Ramsey does'nt have time he can't throw. If Ramsey has no time the Wr's we currently have can't get open. We have to fix our lines and add a proven blocking Te. If we gotta have a reciever add Heath Miller atleast he'll help Portis our o-line and Ramsey.

I agree, pass on Williams. I will add that we need to develop what we have. Either trade Gardner (which I hope the team does) or make him practice catching the ball in the offseason. Let's develop Jacobs and Dmac. Thrash is allows a reliable #3 option and a good blocker. Let's stop spending money on WR's. We need to spend money on the Oline.

Originally posted by SoCalSkins

When is the last time a USC player had any success with the skins? Ricky Ervins? Based on our expeience with Ohalete, Morton, Sultan and Rob Johnson I say pass.

Now this is just plain comical. LMFAO!! WTF kind of logic is that?

Originally posted by Fred Jones

I agree, pass on Williams. I will add that we need to develop what we have. Either trade Gardner (which I hope the team does) or make him practice catching the ball in the offseason. Let's develop Jacobs and Dmac. Thrash is allows a reliable #3 option and a good blocker. Let's stop spending money on WR's. We need to spend money on the Oline.

When did anyone ever say to NOT spend money on the line?

Also, we have been "developing" Jacobs and D-Mac for years, so far for what?

So I guess we give DMac what 5yrs to show he can play now, if he was really as good as people say on this board he would be playing by now...Dont you think? I mean this is his 3rd coaching staff and he has only managed to get on the field for Spurrier...

Taylor Jacobs I think has some upside b/c he works hard and from everything he says he wants to be good...

Thrash is kinda like our Jack-of-all trades, he does everything for us...

Coles is our energizer bunny! He is getting beat

WE NEED A POSESSION WR....W/our dummed down passing game we need a WR that has the size/strength to consistently make the tough catches and keep the chains moving(besides Cooley, teams are already starting to take him away), and when we do open it up he is a WR that has shown he has the ability to go up and get the ball, and is superb at runs after the catch....

Just b/c we go here w/the first pick doesnt mean other needs cant be addressed...Does it?

Originally posted by Fred Jones

Amen.

If we could get a 2nd for Gardner (aiming high) and trade down our 1st for another 2nd.

Then draft Kiwi or James at DE in 1st, OG and TE in 2nd and best available from there down - hopefully getting a DT, C and CB in those.

in FA get a C and LG and maybe a cheap TE.

I think if Patrick works on his own with the receivers in the off-season like the WP article says he wants to, there's no reason we can't go with Coles and Jacobs as our top WR's.

Originally posted by jimster

Amen.

If we could get a 2nd for Gardner (aiming high) and trade down our 1st for another 2nd.

Then draft Kiwi or James at DE in 1st, OG and TE in 2nd and best available from there down - hopefully getting a DT, C and CB in those.

in FA get a C and LG and maybe a cheap TE.

I think if Patrick works on his own with the receivers in the off-season like the WP article says he wants to, there's no reason we can't go with Coles and Jacobs as our top WR's.

I think there is plenty of reason Coles and Jacobs shouldnt be our starting tandem next yr(even after working w/Ramsey)...Both of these WR are small, neither has the size to be a consistant possesion WR that as our O is constituted needs....Also both WR have trouble getting off the jam, and neither is really a red-zone-threat...I think it would be a mistake not to address this position this yr, if we dont draft Mike Williams/Edwards or land Porter or Muhammed in FA this position will be a sore spot again next yr...

Originally posted by fdarugar

Starting Jacobs and Coles scares me, our passing game would be terrible.

I think we may be the only ones on the board that see that if they are our stating WR's we will be in trouble...We will see Mike Williams shining for another team and the coulda-woulda-shoulda will start...

Archived