Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can a person who lived in Washington their whole life be a Dallas Cowboy fan?

Commander PK

This question applies to not only the these two teams but sports as a whole. It baffles me, how somebody who has lived in the Washington Metro area, their whole life. Never lived in Texas, never been to Texas, have no family or friends in Texas, couldn't find Texas on a map, etc. can be a COWPOKE fan. :puke:

I don't get it. I went to Damon's today to watch the game, and while Skins fans were the majority (small majority) in the house, there was still a large grouping of Cowboy fans.

The only thing that I can think of is that some people LOVE to draw attention to themselves by being different. If you are in a roomful of Chiefs fans, you distinguish yourself by being a Raider fan. You can't stick out by just being one of the crowd. Is that it? Somebody, enlighten me please.

i guess it's the same with me, I've lived in Philly(about 30 minutes west) and been a Skins fan since I was little. I don't really have an explanation. I know I was at grandpas watching them play the cowpukes when i was little. I know he was rooting for the Skins.

God I hate the Pukes and Birds.

Those kind of Cowboys fans are usually the ones who think Emmitt Smith is still playing for the Cowboys. I work with someone whos from Philly and hes a Cowboys fan. He claims that hes been to Dallas twice, but I've driven through Chicago a couple times and have never had the urge to be a Bears fan. I dont know.

Originally posted by Resurrection

This question applies to not only the these two teams but sports as a whole. It baffles me, how somebody who has lived in the Washington Metro area, their whole life. Never lived in Texas, never been to Texas, have no family or friends in Texas, couldn't find Texas on a map, etc. can be a COWPOKE fan. :puke:

I don't get it. I went to Damon's today to watch the game, and while Skins fans were the majority (small majority) in the house, there was still a large grouping of Cowboy fans.

The only thing that I can think of is that some people LOVE to draw attention to themselves by being different. If you are in a roomful of Chiefs fans, you distinguish yourself by being a Raider fan. You can't stick out by just being one of the crowd. Is that it? Somebody, enlighten me please.

Well, I have lived in Dallas all my life. And even though I CAN find DC on a map and I HAVE been to FedEx...I have never lived there.

And yet, I am a Redskin fan.

I don't call it "drawing attention to myself". I call it being SMARTER.

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Blondie

It doesn't matter where you live. I was born and raised in New Jersey, but I never once rooted for the Giants or the Jets.

I was a Cowboy fan as far back as I can remember. My favorite player at the time was Danny White. Why Danny White? I have no clue, but I admired the man and I liked the Cowboys uniform. After that I started to follow the team and got hooked.

R u kidding me? One of my biggest disappointments in life was getting stationed here after 17 years away. I was looking forward to hanging out with redskin fans and boy, was I disappointed. I presently have a boss, who is from PG County her whole life who likes the Eagles. She says she doesn't like the Redskins because they were so ****y in the 80s. I don't know if it is like this in other cities, but one of the toughest things about being a skin fan is all the skin haters, especially at work on Monday morning!

Ahem... as a Cowboys fan born and raised in the DC area, I have to say that at the point where I got interested in football as a kid, I was more attracted to what was up in Dallas—Staubach/Danny White, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Landry, and all the rest—as opposed to what was here in DC.

Didn't have anything really to do with regional stuff, or wanting to be different, or any bandwagoning, or whatever. I was just a kid who liked them the best, and stuck with them as I grew up.

I'd say I probably know more about my team (and his) than my Skins-fan hubby. I'm a fan of the game first, and happened to have picked the 'boys as my fave.

The fans you're talking about in your post are people who just don't like the Redskins for whatever reason and they will do anything to root against them. Probably because in the 80's and early 90's the Redskins probably on their team :)

Alot of them are are bandwagon fans as well. Whoever is kicking ass all of a sudden you start seeing their fans coming out of the wood works where as in the past you had no idea they were even football fans.

It's a variety of reasons, but I don't think it's just one thing that you can pinpoint on why people are Cowboys fans and really have no connection to the area or no type of association with the team.

Now, I'm only talking about the fans when you ask them who their QB is and they can't name him off the top of their head. I've ran into a handfulls of supposedly Cowboys fans and ask them this very simple question and they can't answer me. That is how you single out a bandwagon fan.

Originally posted by dcdallaschick

Ahem... as a Cowboys fan born and raised in the DC area, I have to say that at the point where I got interested in football as a kid, I was more attracted to what was up in Dallas—Staubach/Danny White, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Landry, and all the rest—as opposed to what was here in DC.

Didn't have anything really to do with regional stuff, or wanting to be different, or any bandwagoning, or whatever. I was just a kid who liked them the best, and stuck with them as I grew up.

I'd say I probably know more about my team (and his) than my Skins-fan hubby. I'm a fan of the game first, and happened to have picked the 'boys as my fave.

Nope. There's SOMETHING behind it. :)

Blame the Colts. When they snuck off into the night leaving Baltimore it left a bitter taste in the mouths of many Colts fans. With no team in the area but the Redskins, whom most Colts fans hated, it was only natural to root for our most hated rival....the Cowgirls.

My roomate from colelge freshman year, liked football but wasnt a fan...he became a dallas fan because i was a skins fan and he wanted to root against me...i think that has something to do with it..also i think alot has to do with the success of the cowgirls in the 90's they won people like winners. Just the same as why the Yankees have so many fans outside of NY because they win.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

My roomate from colelge freshman year, liked football but wasnt a fan...he became a dallas fan because i was a skins fan and he wanted to root against me...i think that has something to do with it..also i think alot has to do with the success of the cowgirls in the 90's they won people like winners. Just the same as why the Yankees have so many fans outside of NY because they win.

\

The fans like your roomate are pretty much who I'm talking about here. Bandwagon fans.

I hate the fact that people hang their hat on a team, just because the team is winning right now. That is pathetic. I root for the Redskins because I'm a Redskin fan, win or lose. Do or die. Even the Ravens, who are only a hour and a 1/2 up 95 from me. There were more Steelers fans in the bar on Sunday then Ravens fans, by a LONG shot. Where do these people come from?

Don't even get me started on the Yankees. :doh: Every year that punk Mussina goes without a ring I'm overcome with joy.

When you make up your mind at a young age not to root for the hometown team, the most natural thing to do is to go with the biggest rival of that team. There are a lot of cowboys fans here to because of the big post season rivalry with the 49ers. Also a lot of kids want to rebel against their parents, and this is an easy way to do so.

Originally posted by Dallas_2G5

It doesn't matter where you live. I was born and raised in New Jersey, but I never once rooted for the Giants or the Jets.

I was a Cowboy fan as far back as I can remember. My favorite player at the time was Danny White. Why Danny White? I have no clue, but I admired the man and I liked the Cowboys uniform. After that I started to follow the team and got hooked.

hooked on crack? That's a damn shame.

Originally posted by dcdallaschick

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You picked the wrong team & the wrong site to admit it in. :laugh:

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

The fans you're talking about in your post are people who just don't like the Redskins for whatever reason and they will do anything to root against them. Probably because in the 80's and early 90's the Redskins probably on their team :)

Alot of them are are bandwagon fans as well. Whoever is kicking ass all of a sudden you start seeing their fans coming out of the wood works where as in the past you had no idea they were even football fans.

It's a variety of reasons, but I don't think it's just one thing that you can pinpoint on why people are Cowboys fans and really have no connection to the area or no type of association with the team.

Now, I'm only talking about the fans when you ask them who their QB is and they can't name him off the top of their head. I've ran into a handfulls of supposedly Cowboys fans and ask them this very simple question and they can't answer me. That is how you single out a bandwagon fan.

Most of the time, you don't even have to go that far. Just ask them who the "Tuna" is. They look at you as if to say, "Who?"

Archived