Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Mitchell to Retire

denverdan

Originally posted by herrmag

I'm curious as to why they felt he was a bad influence in his last year here. If anyone was a bad influence, I'd say it was good ol' Norville. He taught the Redskins how to lose ;)

Because he was outspoken. I personally am not saying it was a bad thing, but since Danny boy was making major changes, you know BMitch was going to say something

Originally posted by gridironmike

If the Redskins had their own Hall of Fame, they could resign him in a ceremony with fans in attendance and then promptly induct him into their HOF. We don't have one though.

How about the "Ring of Fame" at FedEx? There's got to be room for a few more of those.

Not exactly sure what the criteria are for inclusion into that exclusive club, but he would at least merit consideration, IMO.

I think Brian spoke out against the moves Synder was making, and a young pridefuld Snyder decided to cut him loose. I'm sure Snyder realizes it was a mistake just like many of the other mistakes he's made. Dan's turning into a good owner. His desire has never been in questions, he just had to figure out how to do this.

Brian rocks. He always played with the heart of a Redskin. I'm glad this is working out for him.

Originally posted by stevenaa

I think Brian spoke out against the moves Synder was making, and a young pridefuld Snyder decided to cut him loose. I'm sure Snyder realizes it was a mistake just like many of the other mistakes he's made. Dan's turning into a good owner. His desire has never been in questions, he just had to figure out how to do this.

Brian rocks. He always played with the heart of a Redskin. I'm glad this is working out for him.

Brian LOVED the Burgundy and Gold....absolutely without question!!! Of course, he was bitter about being released! I knew it wasn't going to be a doubt that if Brian wanted to retire as a Redskin, Snyder would welcome him back with open arms. I believe I heard Snyder say during an interview that looking back in hindsight, he regretted having to release Mitchell.

The reason Mitchell got so mad at the Redskins at the time was due to the fact that he loved the team so much and was willing to take a pay cut to play here and our brand new owner cut him anyway ... for $8 million Deion Sanders. He's a firey guy. You can't expect that to change when he changes teams.

I'm glad the hatchet's been buried. Mitchell always wanted to retire a Skin when he played here, and now he will. That's a good thing.

Originally posted by skinsfan080

This is nice to see. In spite of the crap Mitchell said about Portis , I really liked the guy when he was here and still do. He was a good guy and I'm glad he retired a skin'. Question, did Art Monk retire as a Skin?

What exactly did Mitchell say about Portis?

Originally posted by Sarge

I guess the danny's conscience got to him. It's the first human thing I've ever seen or heard of him doing

I don't think that's really fair. How many times has he let a player use his personal plane to attend to a family matter.

Dan is a good guy. He's a shrewd business man, but he's a good guy.

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one slide:

Team spokesman Karl Swanson said yesterday that Snyder had approved the request from one of the franchise's most popular players, but because of salary cap technicalities, it probably won't happen until after the season has ended.

Not enough room under the cap for a 1 day contract :laugh: ?

Seriously, though, I think Mitchell should be in the hall. For a decade, I watched him torment the Eagles.

While he was with the Eagles, I watched as he he tormented other teams- they had to adjust their special teams coverage and kicks to try to slow him down because he changed field position a couple times every game.

In the NFC champuionship game the Birds lost to Tampa, even at his age, he was destroying the Bucs on special teams- just blwoing them away. After a kick and a punt, they just said the hell with it and wouldn't kick it to him anymore- they were squibbing it to the front guys and sometimes kicking it out of bounds just to avoid letting him give the Eagles field position and momentum.

If someone does what he did for as long as he did, I can't see how they could keep him out.

I mean, he did more for offenses over his career that many HOF WRs and kickers, so why shouldn't he be in?

Yeah, he was the sole bright point for the Eagles in their loss to the Bucs. I think he returned the first kickoff like to the Bucs 20 yard line or something.

Without him, the final score would have better reflected the destruction the Bucs laid on the Eagles.

Mitchell was the ultimate jack of all trades football player, with the heart of a champion.

I thought last year Chad Morton was on the verge of becoming a poor man's Brian Mitchell who can do a little of it all: returner, runningback, receiver. :doh:

I'm glad Brian's back were he belongs, in the Redskins family.

One thing that gets me, how many Redskins are called "sure fire" Hall of Famers near the end of their careers or upon their retirement only to get snubbed and seemingly forgotten by those bozos on the HOF committee?

We all get pissed about Art being snubbed but there was a time that Charles Mann, Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby were called "future" Hall of Famers and now there's nothing.

I'm afraid with this trend, when Darrell Green's time comes, blowhards like King will talk about how Darrell was nothing more than a "track" guy who used his speed to make up for being beat and how he wasn't even the best corner of his era.(Deion or Rod Woodson):puke:

Hell, I'm still steamed that Bill Walsh was put in the year after he retired and Gibbs had to wait 3.

Without him, the final score would have better reflected the destruction the Bucs laid on the Eagles.

I thought the final score did a pretty good job of reflecting that beating on it's own- without taking Mitchell out of the equation :laugh:

I'm sure the Skins players enjoyed watching that playoff game from their recliners at home, where they have watched the playoffs for around a decade.

Originally posted by f_dallas

I'm sure the Skins players enjoyed watching that playoff game from their recliners at home, where they have watched the playoffs for around a decade.

No not for a decade. We beat the Lions in January 2000, then lost to the Bucs off a botched kick. :D

I don't know if the players enjoyed the Eagles playoff games, but I sure did, as I have the past 3 years.

Archived