Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HailRedskins.com- 'Cup of Schmoe'; fuel for the 'QB controversy' fire

freakofthesouth

ram would be more exciting....he has the arm...and he is the future.....but I have to believe that he has given Gibbs more reasons NOT to play him than otherwise at this point. There comes a time when you say, what the hell, and throw him in there though, cuz he needs the gametime, and if nothing else, we need to know if Ramsey can take us where we wanna be....

If we lose to the Ravens that's it.

4 losses in a row is enough to warrant a change. Be ready Ram.

Bottom Line, Gibbs is on record saying that Brunell is doing well, and is playing the best of the offensive players.

Since he (Coach Gibbs) has the "street cred" as well as access to game films, and knowledge of the plays that are being run...

I will believe in Brunell, until Gibbs says different.

Absolutely great article. Watching Brunell has been absolutely painful this year. I know people want to keep harping on the 3 int's in the giants game. But look over Ramseys career instead of a small sample. Not too mention I'm sure Brunell has been taking at least 80% of the snaps since the regular season started and was named the starter, and before that they were splitting 50/50 so Ramsey hasn't had the chance to really be named the guy and get most of the snaps until Dallas week and he didn't play anyways. As good as our defense has been, it is not the 85 bears or 2000 Ravens which is the only kind of team that Brunells dink and dunk is gonna win games for. We need someone who can put points on the board.

It isn't coincidence that every deep pass Brunell throws is to Gardner, he needs someone who can jump up and get his balloons, Coles for all his talent isn't getting any taller. However when Ramsey came in the Giants game all of a sudden it seemed like Coles became a deep threat weapon again.

I know Gibbs brought in Brunell for veteran leadership on a team that was suppposed to contend right away, but if we're not winning at what point do we put in the young more talented quarterback and take our chances.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Bottom Line, Gibbs is on record saying that Brunell is doing well, and is playing the best of the offensive players.

Since he (Coach Gibbs) has the "street cred" as well as access to game films, and knowledge of the plays that are being run...

I will believe in Brunell, until Gibbs says different.

SO basically, EVEN when he does bench Brunell, you'll still get to be right?

:laugh:

Ghost, I wouldn't say it's a matter of right and wrong, so much as it's realizing that Gibbs is infinitely better qualified and informed to make these decisions. To question him based on 4 games and a few preseason games doesn't really make sense. He's been studying these two players for months.

At this point, it seems like you're more concerned about Ramsey coming in and outshining Brunell (to justify your assertions here) than you are about the team winning. I'm not trying to question your passion as a fan, but these reflexive comments mocking anyone who shows faith in Gibbs are as predictable as the posts made by those who, as you might put it, blindly follow Gibbs.

Originally posted by SkinsFan03

Ghost, I wouldn't say it's a matter of right and wrong, so much as it's realizing that Gibbs is infinitely better qualified and informed to make these decisions. To question him based on 4 games and a few preseason games doesn't really make sense. He's been studying these two players for months.

At this point, it seems like you're more concerned about Ramsey coming in and outshining Brunell (to justify your assertions here) than you are about the team winning. I'm not trying to question your passion as a fan, but these reflexive comments mocking anyone who shows faith in Gibbs are as predictable as the posts made by those who, as you might put it, blindly follow Gibbs.

I'm more concerned about Ramsey getting a chance so the team CAN WIN.

See, people point to a few false starts and some turnovers, but the vast bulk of turnovers occurred in ONE game(NYG.) We should never have been TRAILING Cleveland at all, for Coles to have to jump to catch a Brunell lob-ball and drop it('fumble') on the way down.

I WANT Brunell to win, because that means the team is finding ways around his limitations in order to win--WIN.

I want to WIN. I don't think we will win often with Brunell at QB, unless Lavar and Sean start making weekly huge plays on D(like RETURNING FOR TDs)

I mock blind faith, because I'm looking at games and asking how you think this guy, who is the worst in the league on YPA on 3rd down is going to turn things around.

Gibbs gets to see film and practice. That really doesn't explain why McCants can't see red zone action, does it? McCants can PLAY. Ramsey has "it." These things might not show up in practice.

At this moment, in terms of running for yards, Ramsey is more mobile and he WILL pull the ball down. Brunell won't even do that anymore because of his hammy.

Enough with the Ramsey should be starting threads. If we keep losing, I'm sure Joe will make a change. Or Brunell will get hurt and all the Ramsey fanatics on this board will get their wish that way. Hell, Ghost, you come off like your his agent or something.

I like Ramsey. A lot. But I suspect his inability to read defenses, make the easy play (he can't throw to the flats), or look remotely calm in the pocket is what scares Gibbs. And it would be a lot easier to make a case for him if he didn't make two of the worst throws I've ever seen in the Giants game.

That said, I also suspect Pat will get his chance soon enough for any number of reasons. And when he does, I hope he kicks butt. Hopefully he'll have learned a little something sitting on the sidelines.

Originally posted by Skins26

The last paragraph is right on.

Sometimes guys wont get open until the ball is almost there. Brunell decided to throw one away last game when he had Gardner in single coverage down the middle of the field. The corner was right with Gardner, but if Brunell throws that up and leads Rod a little, Rod is turned around looking for the ball and running, the CB looks back to find the ball and naturally slows up a bit, Gardner is open, TD. Not to mention that even if it was underthrown Gardner probably could have gone up over this guy and caught it.

If RG is wide-open, he'll drop it while if he has to fight for it, there's a very good chance he'll win.

I seem to remember a conservative QB on a team *cough....Seattle.....cough* that went down with an injury against the Cowboys and the young gunslinger came in to fill in till the vet got healed, well.......the vet got healed.........the gunslinger was still in. That gunslinger is now one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

My whole point is that yes, the coaches evaluate the players and they know better than what the fans do, BUT at the same token, they dont see everything. They dont always see the diamonds in the sand. You never know what that "One more oppoutunity" holds. I guess is cause of my dislike for the phrase "what if".

Originally posted by Hauss

My newspaper reported that Gardner got over 100 yards receiving against the Cowboys and Coles got over a hundred against the Browns--must be a misprint.

Both Coles and Gardner would have been over 100 in those games had Ramsey been playing :)

That's right, in order 4 the redskins to make play-offs two things need to happen. Ramsey needs to start under the name Pat, (screw Brunnel he can pull a Warner). Second, Lavarr needs to play more games. We can't win without him, at least in the beginning of this growing team. Gibbs is a mastermind, somewhere along the line he's going to wake up, along with Portis, and find his groove. Just give it time, each loss is about four victories. Playoffs this season? Hopeful, but I think the team is too young (no experience).:brownsuck :point2sky :logo:

The only problem I see is that Ramsey will be sacked more and he fumbles a lot (8 times in 10 games last year), he will throw more interceptions(9 in 10 games) but he MIGHT also get more points on the board possibly even faster. This will cause the defense to be on the field more because of the added turnovers and mistakes. The defense has been good but much of that was the fact that we have had the time of possession. If we only have the ball for 20-25 minutes a game they will start giving up more points and with Daniels Arrington and Barrow out the depth isnt exactly there right now. If Ramsey is worth 14 more points a game in Gibbs system then it might work out but I think his turnovers will equal his big plays which will put even more on the defense and they arent creating turnovers of their own.

To all the Ramsey supporters....

The problem is not the passing game, its the RUNNING game, somewhere that little leprechaun Mike Shanihan is laughing his ass off. You can't pass to open up the run in the NFL, it just doesn't work, secondary's are too good. Portis is too good of a back, people forget he is without a FB and is running behind TE's and pulling guards. Once Clinton learns how to slow it down until he see the hole he will dominate with the skins like he did with the Broncos.

If Ramsey gets the nod over Brunell our season is f#cking over. Ramsey is not going to save this team, he just figured out that he had to lead his receivers instead of just gunning it to where they were. Brunell is this years starting QB until they drag him off the field on a stretcher. The recievers know it, the backs know it, the line knows it. Steve Spurrier and his QB carousel turned us into a college team all of a sudden. A QB has to be a leader, Ramsey couldn't lead this team out of a paper bag right now.

Ask yourselves this question next time you chant for Ramsey, do you really think bringing in Ramsey is going to fix anything.

Originally posted by BadKarma

To all the Ramsey supporters....

The problem is not the passing game, its the RUNNING game, somewhere that little leprechaun Mike Shanihan is laughing his ass off. You can't pass to open up the run in the NFL, it just doesn't work, secondary's are too good. Portis is too good of a back, people forget he is without a FB and is running behind TE's and pulling guards. Once Clinton learns how to slow it down until he see the hole he will dominate with the skins like he did with the Broncos.

If Ramsey gets the nod over Brunell our season is f#cking over. Ramsey is not going to save this team, he just figured out that he had to lead his receivers instead of just gunning it to where they were. Brunell is this years starting QB until they drag him off the field on a stretcher. The recievers know it, the backs know it, the line knows it. Steve Spurrier and his QB carousel turned us into a college team all of a sudden. A QB has to be a leader, Ramsey couldn't lead this team out of a paper bag right now.

Ask yourselves this question next time you chant for Ramsey, do you really think bringing in Ramsey is going to fix anything.

You cant pass to set up the run. But you must pass to keep the run open. As long as we are not hitting verticle passes on the opposing teams they will see no need to stop stacking the box with 8 defenders. Its very hard to run against an 8 man front b/c you are usually out numbered. If we can go over the 8 man front and hit passes they will realize they had better take that extra safety out of the box and put him deep again. Thats when the running game will start working well again.

Its about balance. Just like last year when we were passing so much that they didnt respect the run, so we ended up getting sacked a whole bunch, well this year we arent passing at all so they are not respecting the pass resulting in little to no yards on a number of attempts to run.

Ramsey throws the ball very well down the field. He still has things to learn yes, he will turn it over more than Brunell, yes. But I think he can still score more points, and keep away from the turnovers enough to win games for us.

As for the people saying Ramsey has fumbled so much, he was getting clobbered and didnt stand a chance, I dont think he'll fumble all that much if he has some protection.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

I'd like to see more play action passes.

Playaction passes that result in some gain. We only had one playaction pass last game that was a straight drop back. All the others were playaction then bootleg which even when it worked only led to like a 5-10 yard gain.

The question is are we not playactioning and dropping straight back to go deep b/c of Brunell's ability or is it b/c Gibbs simply doesnt want to.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

I'd like to see more play action passes.

Then you need an offense that consistently chew up chunks of running yards 5-6 at a time.

You can't have a playaction-pass offense when you're averaging 2-3 yards per carry.

Archived