Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chad Morton

Nicealot

I think Morton was our best halfback last year when he got carries. Plus, a 9+ yard average for punt returns for a year that Morton said punt returns were never practiced is pretty good.

Plus, Morton is what, 26? He's worth the roster spot and is just entering his prime.

I disagree,.....I think he's gone. Look at the numbers at other positions, especially wide-out. Thrash can return as can this kid Gari Scott. It's no mistake he's been returning alot and getting snaps at wide out. We have a bevy of small backs, and Morton has a big contract. He's not going to get any time at RB this year (If we keep Betts, which I'm not sure of. He needs to suck it up and get his butt on the field).

Originally posted by Arioch

...as can this kid Gari Scott.

Um, I take it you didn't see the return where he ran backwards 10 yards, got stuck and turned the ball over to the Dolphins.

Yes, it's just one play, but combining stupidity with not taking care of the ball in one play does not help your case for taking over return duties.

Morton is dangerous as a return man. Neither Thrash nor Scott bring that dimension.

Morton will be kept due to his pass- catching abilities, and the fact that he is a very difficult cover for a linebacker. 3rd and medium to long he is a good option to go to, as well as great for screen passes. And this year we will find out what kind of return guy he really is. I think Scott blew his chances of making the team with that fumble. Simon makes the team for the same reason, a great pass-catching back, reminds me of Clarence Harmon.

Originally posted by Nicealot

I think that Chad Morton is expendable. He's an average punt/kick returner. ALthough he's quick, in the big picture he offers no more at RB than some of the others (i.e. McCullough).

EDIT: I don't agree with your post. I think that is a horrable Idea.

Sorry to any I might have offended, with my comments.

Thanks,

Jeremy

The Redskins special teams units were so poor the past couple of years there weren't many holes to run through to daylight. Morton returned one kick for a TD last year and showed what he could do with a good special teams unit in NY in 2002.

I don't see any way the Skins release Morton. Thrash can return kicks but remember how tentative he was on punts when he was here last?

Remember how when Deion got hurt in 2000 that the team had a devil of a time replacing him for that very reason.

Gari Scott is also 25-26 years old and has bounced around the NFL since 2001, failing to find a real niche.

I see him as a marginal player destined for some team's practice squad, although it may not be the Redskins'.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Um, I take it you didn't see the return where he ran backwards 10 yards, got stuck and turned the ball over to the Dolphins.

Yes, it's just one play, but combining stupidity with not taking care of the ball in one play does not help your case for taking over return duties.

Morton is dangerous as a return man. Neither Thrash nor Scott bring that dimension.

"Um"...Yes I did see that. I do have eyes. The point was we have more people on our roster now who can contribute in other areas. Morton, is not a top option out of the backfield. He's got a BIG contract, keep that in mind, that's his achilles heel with this coaching group. Scott, Thrash, Simon, and even Smoot (who was reported in practice to be returning kicks), are all options to return kicks. Other than Morton who did we have that was credible at returning kicks last year? No one. (except Bailey, who is gone, and you didn't want to risk injury to your starting corner anyway). I'd like to see more of McCullough return some kicks and see if he's capable. I keep wondering why we're fooling around with the small guys (Rock, Morton and Simon) in the backfield. McCullough is the better, more traditional ball carrier of the group. 3rd and 1, who would you rather plunge into the line? Morton or McCullough?.....I also disagree with you about Thrash, he is a dangerous kick returner. Morton is good, but not that good.

One reason you try out a lot of guys at different positions is to be prepared if someone gets injured. If Morton got injured we'd have some good choices to replace him - but he'll be the primary returner this year if he stays healthy. Returning a kick well in preseason is one thing - Morton has a number of big time returns in the regular season. Last year with poor blocking he did really well. As a rb he also showed very well especially as a receiver. Last year was also his first returning punts in several years and he'll be better this year in his reactions. I'm confident that Smoot will NEVER return a punt for the Skins because he is simply too valuable to risk.

Morton's big contract is one reason you might keep him because cutting him after the first year of his big contract will create a large amount of dead space in the cap next year.

Kick returner is more valuable than 3rd/4th string RB. That is essentially what this debate is about.

There is a pretty close battle for the RB spots, so getting rid of Morton would free up a spot.

Morton as a return man might be going to get over 1000 yards. He is a threat to score a TD every time he returns the ball. His contribution to the team is far more than a backup RB that may not even see any playing time.

Unless you can prove that Thrash is the same threat at returner as Morton, Morton needs to stay.

Originally posted by JWB

If anyone gets cut it will be McCullough, because Morton can do everything he can, he is just as fast, and he is a top-notch special teamer. McCullough fans have no argument here!

Sorry but McCullough is a better overall RB than Morton was or ever will be.

Morton wont be cut due to his KR/Pr skills, not his Rb abilities.

I haven't been too impressed with our special teams as of yet.

I was having a discussion with my father-in-law (eagles fan) and I mentioned we have Danny Smith as our ST coach. He stated he used to coach for the eagles and through his tenure they were dreadful. I hope this doesn't hold true for us.:logo:

Originally posted by Yusuf06

With Gibbs "putting the band back together" I was shocked and disappointed that we didn't bring back Pete Rodriguez. That guy can seriously coach some ST.

Same here. And he was available too at the time. But I recall he did end up signing somewhere.

Sultan may be a better rusher than Morton, but I don't think many can say he's a better recieving threat out of the backfield. Especially McCullough hasn't done anything in a regular season game to prove otherwise.

The only thing Sultan has proven to do is get injured faster than any other back.

Originally posted by Arioch

I disagree,.....I think he's gone. Look at the numbers at other positions, especially wide-out. Thrash can return as can this kid Gari Scott. It's no mistake he's been returning alot and getting snaps at wide out. We have a bevy of small backs, and Morton has a big contract. He's not going to get any time at RB this year (If we keep Betts, which I'm not sure of. He needs to suck it up and get his butt on the field).

Do you have any idea how much of a cap hit that would be. Morton is one of the best in the league and will not be cut. That would be a Schottenheimer move in comparison to letting Larry Centers go.

Archived