Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chad Morton

Nicealot

Originally posted by Yusuf06

With Gibbs "putting the band back together" I was shocked and disappointed that we didn't bring back Pete Rodriguez. That guy can seriously coach some ST.

I thought he was going to bring back Pete myself and couldn't understand why he didn't. However, we all know that Gibb's knows how to pick good people and feel Danny Smith will do a good job here.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Sultan may be a better rusher than Morton, but I don't think many can say he's a better recieving threat out of the backfield. Especially McCullough hasn't done anything in a regular season game to prove otherwise.

The only thing Sultan has proven to do is get injured faster than any other back.

Are you seriously referring to his college career? That's how far back you're determining his career?

How about Betts? He was injury free in 4 years with Iowa. What's he done? WHat's he proven?

Morton is a capable reciever out of the backfield. His Quickness and Shiftiness should allow him to make gains after the catch when matched up on linebackers. To me that is too valuable to let go.

But that's not even the point. On special teams, morton brings instant credibility to our special teams.

First, he's a leader. You can see it when he calls out to players not to get near a punt. You heard about it last year, when morton would converse with the coaching staff, telling them what worked and what didn't. The guy is an established veteran, recognized inside the locker room for contributions to special teams. He can be the quarterback of a respected special teams unit.

Second, he is good. He can return kicks for touchdowns.

Third, he brings instant respectability to special teams. Special teams is mostly the work of scrubs who can't make it on talent at the skill positions. There is a tendancy to not work as hard because special teams is just not as important as offense or defense. Morton makes a paycheck that most special teamers don't. Our investment in him shows that you can be a serious part of an NFL organization by contributing on special teams.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Are you seriously referring to his college career? That's how far back you're determining his career?

How about Betts? He was injury free in 4 years with Iowa. What's he done? WHat's he proven?

Not at all. I was refering to Sultan's one carry last season, and then injury that kept him out for the rest of the season. Frankly, I've never seen a back get injured so quickly.

I have very little compassion for players who frequently get injured, Betts included. It all comes from a lack of preparing your body for the season, and an unwillingness to stay in top shape all year round. Darrell Green was always in the best shape, even in the off-season. He rarely ever got injured. Speaking as a former athlete in multiple sports, I always noticed how the teammates who endured numerous injuries were always the ones who didn't start training early enough, or didn't train hard enough when they had to. Their bodies were never in the best shape to begin with, and for that, they only have themselves to blame.

I think Chad Morton got lost in a bad mix last season. Joe Gibbs puts SUCH an emphasis on special teams that I even have Chad on my fantasy bench in case he gets hot on returns.

Also, let's not forget the guy can catch, turn, and burn from the backfield. I think he's a better runner than Sultan, Ladell, or Rock. (Sorry, blondie. :) ) :2cents:

We've barely had a Head coach the last few years, much less someone that has a clue about special teams. Gibbs himself works with the special teamers and give high emphasis to that phase of the game. Morton will look a lot better this year than he has, guaranteed.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

With Gibbs "putting the band back together" I was shocked and disappointed that we didn't bring back Pete Rodriguez. That guy can seriously coach some ST.

and

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

I thought he was going to bring back Pete myself and couldn't understand why he didn't. However, we all know that Gibb's knows how to pick good people and feel Danny Smith will do a good job here.

He's in Jacksonville as the "Special Teams Coordinator": http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/2512.asp.

(He's been featured in the 'Inside Training Camp - Jaguars Summer' series on the NFL Network. I always knew that watching TV would pay off :D.)

Portis, Ladell, Morton... now the question is who is the fourth?

Rock brings short yardage, steady production, decent blocker.

Simon plays kind of like Morton. Not as good at special teams, is a good reciever out of the backfield, as good a blocker, a little slower as a runner, but runs well.

McCoullagh, fast, decent RB, that's about it.

Its still comes down to what role can this third RB play? What need does the team have?

Hunch that it will be Rock if it's more RB based. If it's more passing based like a Kelvin Bryant role then Simon is the man.

Sultan is the odd man out. Though he may end up on the practice squad if still eligible. Not sure if Simon is eligible.

Archived